1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Left/Right brain

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Jeffsus, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

I was at my usual conduction today, we were doing Beethoven's 9th, which is a perf favourite of mine, even if a bit 'everyday' (oooh i bet ol' Luddy rolls in the grave at that)...

Anyways, during, where they are proclaiming "laeufet Brueder eure Bahn.. freudig wie ein Held zum Siegen" (etc), which is a bit of a ways into it, (just after a massive timpany buster) (but, IMO, the most important part, except perhaps for where they proclaim ''friends, drink all the wine of/at nature's breasts*), and I am doing the usual sort of 'anchor' movement with my right hand...

Well anyone who knows this track also knows what kind of complexity is going on in the composition at this point... you got some tenors busting out some MASSIVE vocab, and strings got their own thing going on at the same time, all evolving and dynamisizing** until the french horns come in and it all goes minor and mental....

Well it was basically at that point, the intensity stress point, where (presumably) Beethoven meant to say "this is the important thesis of the whole shindig", that I noticed the horns and the strings were going a bit wonky; as if they were missing the point altogether. So I changed my left hand anchor shape conduction to present to them an appropriate direction for synchronization and intensity.....

JUST AT THAT POINT i noticed that my RIGHT hand had assumed the anchor metronome movement as if independently.. as if some hospitable ghost had assumed leadership of that appendage as I concentrated on the current shortcoming (aka those damned horn players).

For a few moments I stood there, stunned, watching as each of my hands/arms carried on with its communicative duty.

In those moments, a trinity atmosed... my left hand, my right hand, and myself. Then the Tochter aus Elyzium's Goetterfunken busted out some massive sumimasens and everyone in the house remembered that we're alive.

-jM
    A&D

*Your translation may vary slightly from mine
    **Linguistic liberties taken and appreciated

2. Tearer

Tearer TRIBE Member

The only conclusive conclusion I draw is that you're also a musical switch hitter.

*oh snap*

3. enjiro

enjiro TRIBE Member

uh...

4. grumblegirl

grumblegirl TRIBE Member

awesome.

i went to an arts school for high school (ottawa's much lamer version of 'fame'), and my strings prof used to get us to work on our hand autonomy - practicing 3[beats] against 2 and 5 against 6 and so forth. i was never fabulous at it, but i could hold my own. but he - man - he could probably write a story with one hand and conduct vivaldi [he was all about the strings] with the other. so neato.

sounds like you found that zen space where your unconscious took over. sweet.

5. outofcontrol

outofcontrol TRIBE Member

6. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

should have yelled BOH! and called for a rewind.

7. Taro

Taro TRIBE Member

Canterbury??

8. grumblegirl

grumblegirl TRIBE Member

^^ yup.

you too?

9. Taro

Taro TRIBE Member

yeah...class of 2000!!

represent..

I loved that high school-by far the best choice I could have made..shame about them cancelling the triple credit program though...
    :)

10. grumblegirl

grumblegirl TRIBE Member

holy crap i'm old.
    class of '92.

yup - if it hadn't have been for Canterbury i don't think i'd have made it thru highschool. [ahhh, memories of smokin' outside the caf.]

what program were you? i was music [strings], as you probably already guessed.

i didn't know they had cancelled the program! that's awful.

11. Taro

Taro TRIBE Member

Visual...
    and yeah there were some great times at that school..

the arts program was cut during the Harris years....so, they still have a double credit program (glorified normal art classes), but they lost a lot of funding, so the school couldn't afford the cost of supplies/extra hours of the teachers etc..

yeah you graduated ages ago!!!

We had a new President come in, I guess in 1997-1998. Ross MacDonald. He whipped the school into shape in one year. Remembered EVERY students name. He was nuts, but the school still kept nearly all the spirit and focussed more academically.