1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Leaving internet provider / address forwarding

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Deus, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

I've been using an email account that I've been using for about 15 years and I have all my various accounts connected to it. Initially it was Sympatico DSL from Bell. When my parents moved to rural Ontario a number of years ago they got dial-up internet from Sympatico. I have since moved out of their house but I still use the sympatico email address. Now my mom has switched to the stick from Bell Mobility and Bell says that I cannot keep my old email nor will they forward any email that go to that address. They will just cut it off cold turkey.

Not having access to this email would affect me in so many ways other than personal emailing. It's associated with most of my online accounts for which I would have no way of retrieving passwords or anything.

I find this a bit unusual that they would do this, and not offer at least a forwarding service for a year or so until I migrate my accounts to a new email address.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

2. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

been through it, had an aunt go through it doing the exact same thing (live in Navan, ON and the only affordable way to get off dialup is to get the bell stick)

its retarded that they dont let you even forward it (you are going from one bell service to another) but its the way they do it

its just a life lesson in using ISP email addresses..you'll never make that mistake again. get a gmail account and you're good to go

3. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Can always hope that they wont cut off the email address? I have an @rogers.com account from ages ago. When I was swapping ISPs, I had asked if I could pay a small fee to keep it, or i they would do email forwarding.

They told me no, and 4 years later the account is still active and working.

Otherwise, get a gmail account or something, and start going to all of your forums/websites/etc and update the email address in your profile. Send out emails to people that you want to still receive mail from informing them of your new address.