• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Learning Guitar Tabs.....

madnezz

TRIBE Member
What are your favorite sites for guitar tabs? I find often that when i find a tab on Olga or something, the tune sounds right, but it's not in the same key as the actual song or it sounds just a bit off (and YES my guitar is tuned! :p )...

I'm trying to learn K-Os' "heaven only knows" and I've got it all figured out, but it's SOOOO hard to play i find.... how can you twist your fingers around like that? urgh....

I need guitar lessons. Anyone know of a good teacher???

- L

Stop Bill C-10

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by madnezz
What are your favorite sites for guitar tabs? I find often that when i find a tab on Olga or something, the tune sounds right, but it's not in the same key as the actual song or it sounds just a bit off (and YES my guitar is tuned! :p )...

A lot of tabs on olga are incorrect or liberal interpretations. Besides that, it's possible that the song was played with the guitar tuned down a 1/2 step like much of the 'alternative' stuff from the 90's (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc),

madnezz

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Learning Guitar Tabs.....

Originally posted by Hal-9000
A lot of tabs on olga are incorrect or liberal interpretations.

AH HA!!!! I KNEW IT!

phew, i dont feel as retarded anymore. :)

seeker

TRIBE Member
madnezz, defo get lessons. I don't play much anymore -- no longer have a guitar -- but my playing improved so much when taking lessons. I can't recommend any in TO, though. :(

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
You just have to google your brains out to find a good tab. I don't really have one good site.

I learned to play guitar from tabs, and still can't read proper music.

If you want to learn some easy songs Smashing Pumpkins songs are usually like 4 chords each. The very first song I learned to play all the way through was Disarm.

<--- Self taught. Don't get a teacher. Just learn songs you really like. It'll come easier that way.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
"Official" tab books are wrong all the time as well, Laura.

One very simple piece of advice when first trying to learn songs is to figure out the main melody on one string, approximate as best you can then start moving it around in different areas of the fretboard.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Learning Guitar Tabs.....

A lot of tabs on olga are incorrect or liberal interpretations. Besides that, it's possible that the song was played with the guitar tuned down a 1/2 step like much of the 'alternative' stuff from the 90's (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc),

Nirvana's stuff was done in a dropped D tuning I believe.

It doesn't sound quite right without the tuning.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Learning Guitar Tabs.....

Originally posted by SENSEi

A few were yes, but the majority were played in standard tuning down a 1/2 step.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Learning Guitar Tabs.....

Originally posted by SENSEi

It doesn't sound quite right without the tuning.

Heart Shaped Box was.

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Learning Guitar Tabs.....

A few were yes, but the majority were played in standard tuning down a 1/2 step.

Correct

Yes. Be wary of tabs online. I used to search for stuff I KNEW how to play correctly just to see how stupid people actually were when tabing music.
It really makes me wonder most of the time what people are actually listening to when they tab out some stuff.

If you like Radiohead, thier followmearound.net (I think) had a link for guitar tab, and I would say at least 95% of it is all correct tabs.

Last edited: