1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Leafs will name new GM Friday

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by diego, Aug 28, 2003.

1. diego

diego TRIBE Member

I personelly like this chioce.
    It was time for the Leafs to bring in some new blood with no ties to anybody already in the system.

Neil Smith hadn't done anything since '94 and even then it was Keenen not Smith that made that a winning team.

2. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

his first job should be to fire all the scouts

3. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

4. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

yeah, he's gonna fire the guy that hired him

5. Yourmamas

Yourmamas TRIBE Member

His first job is to be a Pat Quinn puppet

6. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

whats good about this guy? Hes done NOTHING in hockey. He doesnt handle the contractual obligations of the players- thats the GMs job in St. Louis. He'll basically be a 30-something GM thats going to be more of a handpuppet than anything. He isnt a JP Ricciardi with actual street cred. He aint shit.

Im losing hope with the Leafs and I seriously think that this year will be one of the last I'll care anymore. The work stoppage will KILL hockey in most parts of the US. But how do you kill something thats already dead? Cities like Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Tampa etc.- they have so many more sporting options to check out other than hockey.

Maybe the stoppage will be a GOOD thing then? Maybe we can stop diluting the talent pool and consolidate/kill some franchises?

Trouble is, the US franchises are backed by more money than places like Calgary and Edmonton- so they will be first to go..

Blah.

7. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

Agreed.

then he should fuck quinn over and fire him the minute the Leafs lose a lot. And with this team, it's going to happen.

8. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

Welcome to another disappointing season.

9. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Ok lets not get carried away here. This team isnt much different than last- so its not like were going to be bottom feeders.

But to say that its a contender (with a straight face) is absolute bullshit.

We should ve never fired Mike Smith. Fucking Ken Dryden. And then we shouldnt of hired QUinn for GM for so fucking long.

And oh yah- a team with NO money just gave McCabe a raise of 850K.

Go fucking figure.

10. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

The Leafs can never say they have no money. They pull in more at the gate then anyone.

If Ferguson wants to actually be the GM, then getting rid of Quinn will solidify his position.

11. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

actually he has. apparently he's pretty good at player evaluation, and quite a few guys that he picked(or had a hand in picking) have made their way on to the Blues full time. Including last years rookie of the year.

I would have preferred Neil Smith, but lets give this guy a chance. He could do some good.

12. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

He might do good with no one pulling the strings but me you and the rest of Toront know that he'll be constricted GREATLY with what he can and can't do.

13. diego

diego TRIBE Member

Not to mention that he also was the scout for the Senators in the mid 90's when that franchise started to draft very TALENTED players.

Also he's not Quinns pick so after getting his feet wet, he won't really be a Puppet for Quinn.

14. taojen

taojen TRIBE Member

YES!...just what this organization needs. :rolleyes:

Well if he's built in the same mold as his dad then
    I seriously doubt he'll be another pawn on Quinn's chess board.

You have to feel sorry for the guy though..not even one day
    into his new position and he's getting ripped left, right and centre
    by the Toronto media and fans alike for not having the type
    of resume and experience of a superstar GM like Neil Smith.

15. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

I can't talk abut this.
    It makes me too upset.
    We deserve better, as fans, we deserve respect. Who do these people take us for? Florida fans? Fuck them.

I want a team I can believe in.:(

16. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Then change teams.

Colorado is a good bet!

17. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

i agree, he needs to be let loose to really prove what he can do.

anyone know how long Quinn has left on his contract?? He's not going to fire the guy who gave him his first chance at GM, but i could definitely see him not pick up Quinns contract if Patty keeps barking orders.

I've read quite a bit about Ferguson over the last couple of days, and he seems like a decent guy, who doesn't take any shit, and likes to get the job done. This year may not show much one way or the other, but lets wait and see before raking this guy over the coals.

typical toronto media, everyone's hating this guy and he hasn't even been properly appointed yet:D

18. kerouacdude

kerouacdude TRIBE Member

boo fucking hoo...try rooting for the Bruins, where your management doesn't even fucking pretend to care about making a run at the Cup. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone in sports who's rested on their laurels more than Harry Sinden.

19. diego

diego TRIBE Member

I still don't get this? he had one Stanley Cup Victory (mind you one more then the leafs) But he can't evaluate talent. He had the largest payroll in the nhl and still couldn't make the playoffs his last 5 seasons in NY.

20. Yourmamas

Yourmamas TRIBE Member

I still love the Leafs, and hockey.

That said, this year looks like a turkey.

Seeya on the links.

21. nate

nate TRIBE Member

first of all, give the guy a chance...in my eyes a man has to do something before being criticized, he is a numbers guy and besides no one really knew of grunwald or riccardi either....besides fuck them anyways, and like the leafs have money problems and their scouting isn't that bad either. they just have to give the young guys a shot, which they said they are going to do, the only reason they didn't develop their own talent is because they went the veteran route, and they are obviously a little past their prime....exhibit A as to why quinn is no longer the gm.

i sure hope you that are criticizing the leafs aren't fans becasue that is pathetic. show a little support. cause you know when they are winnming you will jump right back on the band wagon. and sure the media has made this process out to be pretty bad, but fuck have some faith. It's just like all you idiots who were all over belfour when he got here, he ripped it up.

he won't fire quinn, and what other coach ever coached the leafs to successive hundred point seasons and contiuous playoff appearances. you wait and see how things turn out, for all you haters, why don't you just cheer for hab-nots or something. at least then you will no for sure that your team sucks!

peace out.

Nate!

22. diego

diego TRIBE Member

Thats what I think too. his second year will be when he feels most comfortable. And if Quinn isn't doing the Job I don't think he'd back down from firing him.

Step 1 get a legit #2 center --- not named Joe Newendyke
    Step 2 Just sign a defence man and stop crying about how much money hockey players make when your coach makes 2.something to coach a team that can't win the big one.
    sept 3 build our farm system

23. taojen

taojen TRIBE Member

I think he seriously went into decline after winning the Cup in 94
    with the Rangers.
    I mean Smith was the head of scouting in Detroit in 1989 when
    they drafted Mike Sillinger, Bob Boughner, Nicklas Lidstrom,
    Sergei Federov, Dallas Drake and Vladimir Konstantinov all in
    the same draft.
    Well he might have just lucked out that year.

But yeah, he sucked mightily his last five years in NY.

24. diego

diego TRIBE Member

Yeah but sometimes it takes somebody else to get you over that hump.

and whatever happened to Ted Nolan?

25. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

detroit has the best scouts in the league, just because Smith was the head doesn't mean he ACTUALLY was behind all the picks