1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

LCD, LED or Plasma?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Eclipze, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

So my wife and I have a nice chuck of change from the wedding. That means it's time to purchase some toys for our new place. I've had my eye on a few tv's (all 50" and bigger) but i'd still like some outside opinions. We're not interested in 3D tvs. Just not our thing at the moment. Our budget is between 1500-2600.

2. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I would likely go with a plasma this time around. I've read a lot of cool things about them lately with them providing some of the best black levels and lower energy use compared to years before. The top one these days is the new Panasonic Viera VT25 series.

VIERA® VT25 Series Plasma Full HD 3D HDTVs from Panasonic

I know it's a 3D one but apparently it's the best 2D HDTV out there.

Lobo

3. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

Plasma has better black levels and is a good choice if it's not a bright space (or you can control the lighting)

If the TVs going in an area with a lot of windows & ambient light and you'll watch the TV during the day you'd probably be better off with LCD (LED would be even better, but costs more)

4. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

I was in the exact situation a month back.

I decided to ditch the 3D idea because although it's a fun novelty, I got eye strain after a few minutes of watching a couple of demos. If you even tilt your head while wearing the glasses the image shifts around. I think Hollywood and the gaming studios are ramming it down our throats and for me, it's really just a gimmick. I'm sure the tech will improve but this first generation is rather lackluster.

I went with plasma because I still believe it has the best colour gamut, and apparently 2010 panny models are about as bright as lcd, but with it's typical superior black level.

I ended up with a Panasonic TCP50G20 and I love it. Great looking panel, relatively thin bezel, piano black finish, THX image mode, wi-fi and router-ready with usb, lots of inputs; the list goes on.

The only thing to be aware of with this model is the audio is digital out only- so it has to go into a home theatre receiver. The internet channels are fun, but limited to content that's available to Canada. Hopefully more will come.

I found the THX mode looks great, especially with enhancing old movies- like all the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns (thanks Red Dead Redemption).

I got it at Best Buy. They don't seem to have the G20 model anymore, so that link goes to the 25. Same price, and virtually the same specs.