• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Lauryn Hill Goes OFF on the Vatican

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
Also, I believe Sinead added something about sexual abuse to Bob Marley's lyrics during that performance on SNL.

the thing about her case was she lied to Lorne Micheals about what she was going to say after the song(she may have even lied about the song itself!)...something they obviously thought SNL would be glady pro for

Resolver

TRIBE Member
Lauren Hill is just human. Im sure if we were put in that position, most of us would would speak out about molestation as well.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hal-9000
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lauryn.htm

Sinead's career didnt tank because of her SNL stunt, it tanked for the same reason Hill's is on a downward trajectory; flaking out and making shit music as a result.

which is my point EXACTLY...don't make the mistake ESPECIALLY if your career is going on the brink of non-existence...Cmon! a LIVE LP using only an accoustic guitar and SHE CAN'T EVEN PLAY GUITAR!??

I pass her off as a self-rightuous has been who once WAS but only for a minute

diablo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Resolver
Lauren Hill is just human. Im sure if we were put in that position, most of us would would speak out about molestation as well.

:rolleyes:

No one is telling her not to.

The question is one of venue (and tact).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
However...

Taste is a wholly human social contrivance. It is not against any laws to act in poor taste, nor is taste relavant when you are againt someone. It is in extremely poor taste to punch a guy in the nose but sometimes that guy has it coming to them.

Respect is something that is earned and I think I can empathise with Hill if she feels justified in not giving them respect.

It was a confrontational, even warlike act. Taste and respect may not necessarily apply.

agreed. i think i'm just happy to see shit stirred up. it's about time someone did it. and stirring shit is almost never done in good taste, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. sometimes blunt, and in your face is the best way to go.

i dont' think LH was trying to attract attention to herself, i think she was trying to attract attention to the issue.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by terrawrist III
which is my point EXACTLY...don't make the mistake ESPECIALLY if your career is going on the brink of non-existence...Cmon! a LIVE LP using only an accoustic guitar and SHE CAN'T EVEN PLAY GUITAR!??

please. have you even listened to the album?

and if you had, you may actually realize that shes probably the kind of person to actually put her beliefs in front of her comfort. i'm sure she realized the impact this might have on her career. and that makes the "stunt" even more applaudable.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
agreed. i think i'm just happy to see shit stirred up. it's about time someone did it. and stirring shit is almost never done in good taste, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. sometimes blunt, and in your face is the best way to go.

i dont' think LH was trying to attract attention to herself, i think she was trying to attract attention to the issue.

ming,have you heard the David Cross "shut up you fucking baby" CD??...he adresses the issue with ABSOLUTELY NO holding back on his choice of words and with the extreme possibility of many people walking out on him for saying it!...he calls the pope "a palsy,senile mutherfucker!"...he goes off on it but you know he feels for the subject enough to bash it like that...honestly,he's in a MUCH better position to take a stance on such a subject...for fuck sakes he's a comedian!

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
I've listened to the album a few times. Save for a few good bits, it's a double album mess of half-written, un-edited material. The acoustic guitar didnt bug me as it was an 'unplugged' show. What bugged me was the she used the same chord progression over and over and over.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by diablo
So why was she never "outspoken" about this issue anywhere else?

Maybe because she actually had the attention of Vatican officials?

When's the last time you read a Lauryn Hill interview? Probably around the time of "Miseducation." She doesn't do them anymore...she doesn't trust the media. And I'm sure when it comes to issues like this, she'd be afraid of being misquoted or taken out of context (see the "white people buying my records" urban myth).

~jen

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by leigh
please. have you even listened to the album?

and if you had, you may actually realize that shes probably the kind of person to actually put her beliefs in front of her comfort. i'm sure she realized the impact this might have on her career. and that makes the "stunt" even more applaudable.

nice contradiction...

if her beliefs were shielding her messy guitar performance then wouldn't it fail to be a "stunt?...the in quotation word in question is confusing...the question is now did she do it for the sake of doing it or does she really,truly and most importantly,deeply feel for this cause?

mingster

TRIBE Member
ming,have you heard the David Cross "shut up you fucking baby" CD??...he adresses the issue with ABSOLUTELY NO holding back on his choice of words and with the extreme possibility of many people walking out on him for saying it!...he calls the pope "a palsy,senile mutherfucker!"...he goes off on it but you know he feels for the subject enough to bash it like that...honestly,he's in a MUCH better position to take a stance on such a subject...for fuck sakes he's a comedian!

i don't see what that has to do with LH commenting. so DC's comments are funny? or no holds barred? why does that mean that LH can't/shouldn't comment?

and how do you know LH isn't in a good position for taking a stance? i'm under the impression, actually, that she has quite a close relationship to religion (specifically god, whatever that means to her). i think she might be catholic.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
i don't see what that has to do with LH commenting. so DC's comments are funny? or no holds barred? why does that mean that LH can't/shouldn't comment?

and how do you know LH isn't in a good position for taking a stance? i'm under the impression, actually, that she has quite a close relationship to religion (specifically god, whatever that means to her). i think she might be catholic.

I was speaking in reference to yyou saying it's about time someone did...his comments are on a CD which will be around forever(don't look for it at wallmart though!)...but he IS in a better position to take on the subject simply because his job description pretty much calls for it, and he's def. not one to hold back in case of offending...look, this was basically a judgment call for LH and I personally think she made the wrong call

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
the question is now did she do it for the sake of doing it or does she really,truly and most importantly,deeply feel for this cause?

c'mon now. do you think someone would really put their career on the line for something they DON"T whole heartedly believe in?

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by leigh
c'mon now. do you think someone would really put their career on the line for something they DON"T whole heartedly believe in?

unless it's a stunt...that was my second point

you never know what's what in show business...she has an agent just like everyone else in the bidness!...im not really questioning her voice but rather the situation she chose to use it

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
James, I don't see what your argument is.

She's an artist, put in a position where she can have her message heard, and she did.
Artists have been doing this forever...it's not something new.
If I was in her position, I'd do the same thing.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
if you actually listen to her last album - if you're able to get past the fact that she only plays three cords, and plays them badly, and her voice breaks and all that stuff thats regarded as "bad" in the music industry - you'd see that this probably isn't a stunt. she has some seriously strong beliefs that woman. thats why i initially said i was surprised she was even invited in the first place.....

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stormshadow
She's an artist, put in a position where she can have her message heard, and she did.
Artists have been doing this forever...it's not something new.
If I was in her position, I'd do the same thing.

Yeah.. and as an artist I'm sure that she's had other public venues to voice her cocerns before... why not then, and why at the vatican?

see what I mean?

Marcin M

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
unless it's a stunt...that was my second point

you never know what's what in show business...she has an agent just like everyone else in the bidness!...im not really questioning her voice but rather the situation she chose to use it

Please read the article I posted...she's a very troubled, very religious woman who is not in a hurry to jumpstart her career.

I do not believe in the edict "all publicity is good publicity"...if that were true, Michael Jackson would still be selling bazillions of albums.

~jen

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm
Yeah.. and as an artist I'm sure that she's had other public venues to voice her cocerns before... why not then, and why at the vatican?

see what I mean?

Marcin M

I addressed this in an earlier post.

~jen

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm

see what I mean?

No, I don't see what you mean.

What better place than The Vatican to do this?