• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Lauryn Hill Goes OFF on the Vatican

KickIT

TRIBE Member
At the Vatican of all places!

WHAT SOUL SINGER TOLD VATICAN Dec 16 2003

From Jeremy Charles In Rome


SOUL singer Lauryn Hill stunned Vatican officials at a Christmas concert by launching an attack on paedophile priests.

Former Fugees star Hill, 28, said she accepted her invitation only so she could protest at child sex scandals in the United States.

She told the 7,000 crowd: "I am sorry if I am about to offend some of you. I did not accept my invitation to celebrate with you the birth of Christ. Instead I ask you why you are not in mourning for him in this place?

"I want to ask you, what have you got to say about the lives you have broken?

"What about the families who were expecting God and instead were cheated by the Devil?

"Who feels sorry for them, the men, women and children damaged psychologically, emotionally and mentally by the sexual perversions and abuse carried out by the people they believed in?

"Holy God is a witness to the corruption of your leadership, of the exploitation and abuses which are the minimum that can be said for the clergy. There is no acceptable excuse to defend the church."

There was silence for several minutes from the audience in the Paul VI hall at the Vatican as many of them could not speak English.

There were cries of "Enough" and "Shame" from those who understood while one or two whistled and jeered before she picked up her guitar and sang.

After her performance her comments were translated for Cardinal Camillo Ruini, head of the Italian Bishops Conference, who was sitting in the front row - and he walked out in protest.

No one at the Vatican would comment yesterday on Hill's outburst.

But Monsignor Rino Fisichella, one of the organisers of the traditional concert, said: "It was in poor taste and very bad mannered. It showed a complete lack of respect for her invitation and for the place where she had been invited to perform.

"However I am not going to respond with insults to an insult. It's a shame that it happened."

Pope John Paul II was not at the event but had earlier met the artists and a special greeting from him was played during the performance.

Hill flew back to New York last night unrepentant. She said: "What I said was the truth. Is telling the truth bad manners? What I asked was the church to repent for what has happened."

Hill, who is married to reggae legend Bob Marley's son Rohan, set a record for female artists in 1999 when she won five Grammy awards for The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which sold more than six million copies.
*c*
 

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
a rabbi and a priest see a young boy walking by.

the priest says,"wanna fuck him?"

rabbi replies,"out of what?"
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
fack. good for her.
i wouldn't go as far as to say that... sounds more like a publicity stunt on her behalf and not a "genuine concern"... i kinda get annoyed how celebs feel that they have to voice their opinions just cause they're famous.

Marcin M
 

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Hill, like many other celebrities has the power to stand up on a soapbox and speak to 7,000 people on a give day. That is an amazing perk to be a celebrity.

She was offered this opportunity and took it. No one in memory has slammed the Catholic church for their sexual problems on their own grounds, have they.

She will most likely get more negative than positive press for this. I cannot believe she is so cynical and manipulative that she would shout out stuff like that for publicities sake.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm
i wouldn't go as far as to say that... sounds more like a publicity stunt on her behalf and not a "genuine concern"... i kinda get annoyed how celebs feel that they have to voice their opinions just cause they're famous.

Marcin M
from what i know of LH, she's a very passionate and righteous lady. i can believe that she's genuine on her feelings and actions around this. as far as celebrities saying what needs to be said, well, someone's gotta do it. if i were invited to the vatican, i would love to go off on them. alas, i'm just a lowly peasant.
 

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by marcinm
i wouldn't go as far as to say that... sounds more like a publicity stunt on her behalf and not a "genuine concern"... i kinda get annoyed how celebs feel that they have to voice their opinions just cause they're famous.

Marcin M
i dont think lauren hill is one of those celebs who has an opinion just to promote their career. she's an outspoken woman. and if anything, that quality has really hindered her career (i dont think people appreciated her last album because it had so much of her opinion all over it).

it seems pretty obvious that lauryn hill would say something against the "grain", which is why it surprised me that she was invited in the first place. whoever set that whole situation up, didn't listen to her last album.
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I think it's great that she said something.
A lot of people can't speak up, and she has that chance and she did...

Like its' been said, with all the bible freaks, she'll probably get bad publicity instead of good...

pr0nstar
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm
i wouldn't go as far as to say that... sounds more like a publicity stunt on her behalf and not a "genuine concern"... i kinda get annoyed how celebs feel that they have to voice their opinions just cause they're famous.

Marcin M
Well I don't see too many concerned tribers with the opportunity to do what she did, do you?

Don't you think she used her "celebrity factor" for a good reason? - to voice the opinions of thousands of ordinary citizens like us directly to the church?
 

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
exactly. cuz Sinead's career did so well after she ripped up a pic of the Pope.
it's different. sinead looked like she was protesting religion in general.

lauren hill, on the other hand, is taking the side of popular opinion. she has not renounced catholicism or religion, just the recent leadership decisions that allowed the priest diddlers to keep diddling.
 

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by mingster
from what i know of LH, she's a very passionate and righteous lady. i can believe that she's genuine on her feelings and actions around this. as far as celebrities saying what needs to be said, well, someone's gotta do it. if i were invited to the vatican, i would love to go off on them. alas, i'm just a lowly peasant.
right! so shut your cake hole peasant!:p

hehe.
 

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by marcinm
there's no such thing as bad publicity... 'nuff said.

Marcin M :)
yes there is. as someone already said, sinead o'conner didn't do so well after her saturday night live episode.
 

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper

Don't you think she used her "celebrity factor" for a good reason? - to voice the opinions of thousands of ordinary citizens like us directly to the church?
no, i don't... and it's not as if the issue hasn't been brought up... so the fact that she goes up there for a rant just shows that she wants to get attention and not tell the public about something they don't know already... and that bit about "not here to celbrate jesus's birth, but mourn his death"... it's offensive... so yeah, if she did want to say it.. she coulda used this thing called tact... cause to me it sounds like she was out there for attention and nothing else... IMO


Marcin M
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
it's different. sinead looked like she was protesting religion in general.

lauren hill, on the other hand, is taking the side of popular opinion. she has not renounced catholicism or religion, just the recent leadership decisions that allowed the priest diddlers to keep diddling.
sinead didn't renounce catholicism or religion either.
 

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm
no, i don't... and it's not as if the issue hasn't been brought up... so the fact that she goes up there for a rant just shows that she wants to get attention and not tell the public about something they don't know already... and that bit about "not here to celbrate jesus's birth, but mourn his death"... it's offensive... so yeah, if she did want to say it.. she coulda used this thing called tact... cause to me it sounds like she was out there for attention and nothing else... IMO


Marcin M

would you say that you are personally offended by her comments?
 

zorak

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
it's different. sinead looked like she was protesting religion in general.

lauren hill, on the other hand, is taking the side of popular opinion. she has not renounced catholicism or religion, just the recent leadership decisions that allowed the priest diddlers to keep diddling.

ACTUALLY no she wasn't protesting religion in general. her message was very similar to Lauren's.
 

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by leigh
yes there is. as someone already said, sinead o'conner didn't do so well after her saturday night live episode.
that parallel is invalid.
they were made by two different people, who appealled to two different musical demographics.
 

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
it's different. sinead looked like she was protesting religion in general.
I would say catholicism specifically, not religion in general. Especially considering she comes from a very catholic country.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top