• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Laurent Garnier Forever

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
Laurent Garnier at TIL (you my good man are amazing!)

Sometimes you just gotta ask the world and it tells you what next....
I happened to catch part of the movie "walk the line" a couple of weeks ago and this scene has been stuck in my head since.
[After record producer Sam Phillips stops Cash's band a couple of verses into their audition]
Sam Phillips: You know exactly what I'm telling you. We've already heard that song a hundred times. Just like that. Just... like... how... you... sing it.

Johnny Cash:
Well you didn't let us bring it home.

Sam Phillips: Bring... bring it home? Alright, let's bring it home. If you was hit by a truck and you were lying out there in that gutter dying, and you had time to sing one song. Huh? One song that people would remember before you're dirt. One song that would let God know how you felt about your time here on Earth. One song that would sum you up. You're telling me that's the song you sing. That same Jimmy Davis tune we hear on the radio, all day. About your peace within, and how it's real, and how you're gonna shout it? Or... would you sing something different. Something real. Something you felt. Cause I'm telling you right now, that's the kind of song people want to hear. That's the kind of song that truly saves people. It ain't got nothin to do with believin' in God, Mr. Cash. It has to do with believin' in yourself.

Johnny Cash:
I got a couple of songs I wrote in the Air Force. You got anything against the Air Force?

Sam Phillips: No.

Johnny Cash: I do.

I must've seen that scene a month ago just in passing... and I can't shake it... like a mini heartbeat ticking away in my head. And tonite I get it...... I just got back from seeing Larent Garnier.... and he just re-enforced this little scene. He played a set from his heart, from his environment... and although for him it might be everyday... was totally refreshing to a guy like me.

In my last podcast I was wondering what is Live! What it ment to play live music? In my head I was still trying to figure out what makes it special. It's seeing a dj who truly believe in what he does and without any effort uses his records to tell his story. It's the artist or artists who pour themselves into their art like it's their only chance at saying what and who they are.

I didn't get it before..... I got it... I could enjoy it... but that scene from the movie introduced a different perspective on it... it introduced just how prescious and magical that moment could be. LG brought that point home tonite. He reminded me on why and what is worth doing. With music,.... with everything... with that heart and soul like whatever that "it" is, it is the LAST AND ONLY THING. And that each time it should have some of that essance... some of that why and what it is that makes it precious that makes it special.

As chechie as it is... that's what makes life worth living. It isn't the successes or failures, it isn't the pride. It's that sheer fact that if there is something worth saying... if there is something worth believing in. It better be said. It better be done.

I was wondering what makes it live... what makes life live. It's that ability to believe in something so true you want to share it with the world. Again and again I kept seeing that without knowing what I was seeing. To me it use to be just a good time, or an accomplished artist, or a really exciting experience. No it's bigger then that... These ppl who do "things", whatever they believe in, be it an artist, dj, or even a club owner. They want the world to see what they believe and can put 100% of themselves into.... be it a couple of hours, or a lifetime. In the end it's clear who they are and what they believe..... LG did that. and for that I'm soo soo soo happy once again to understand what makes music live. And what makes our greater lives in general LIVE.

Thank you LG, TIL a bunch of wikkd fun dancers.... Jonny Cash... all the tribe and techno peeps who I was in company with.... for the lucky chance of seeing "it" from a different angle. And seeing why artist like Laurent Garnier do what they do at the level they do it.

Thanks.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
The last time I was at This is London, it was for an Eden party at Pride.
Wowza - the place has changed. It's a beautiful club (*love* the fraternity look). The girls could go sit and chill in the most beautiful bathroom I think I've ever seen. So comfy.

Plus I ran into the most RANDOM old friends... stirring up these random old memories...

Erm. hehe - i almost got kicked out ... for um ... smokin weed. but i didn't. the bouncer shook his finger at me. naughty girl...

Garnier's set had its highs and its lows for me. MOSTLY HIGHS mind you - it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. There's this one track that drives me NUTS. If anyone knows the track I mean, can you PLEASE tell me what it's called. I have no clue how I'm going to figure out what this track is. :( actually, Fabrice Lig played it too... the one that sounds like it has a xylophone...

He played everything. Acid Jazz, Techno, House, Drum&Bass, Raggae.... aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pretty music... pretty music...

Too bad about the crowd at This Is London. Prettier? I think not. I see way hotter people at FW on the weekend. And I haven't been to a "meat-market club" in a while. EWWWWWWWWW. ew.

And I don't like getting bashed into without a hint of an apology. Not even a look back!! BOOO!
Hey! Buddy! Sorry you bashed into me and sorry I'm about to put my elbow through your nose.

I get antsy when people don't even have the courtesy to look back and even just acknowledge the shoving? Un.Im.Pressed.

The crowd thinned out around 4:30... although IT WAS NEVER PACKED TO BEGIN WITH?!?! WHERE WERE YOU PEOPLE? How does Laurent Garnier not attract a packed house? SHAME ON YOU.

LAURENT!!! Let's bring him back to a real club. That soundsystem was awful. I was quite annoyed...

LAUREEEEEENT!!! Get those FUCKING BOUNCERS OUT OF MY VIEW OF LAURENT. Like a fucking ape, standing there, right infront of the DJ. Um, HI! Are you seriously bodyguarding the DJ?

Must.Protect.Laurent.from.Freaky.Kiddies!!!!!

I left a very happy woman. NICE TO MEET SO MANY TRIBERS. Y'allz is crazy!

He played the looped intro to Whoop There It Is.
I'M IN LOVE.

MERCI LAURENT!
technics1200 :O technics1200 :O
Bonne nuit...

johnny B rad

TRIBE Member
so Laurent funkin rocked it again! very diverse set and I loved every minute of it. the crowd mostly sucked. it seemed a lot of people didn't even know who was playing. WTF? if that was at system or old boa, the place would have been heaving! awesome night!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
He also played some Joy division! He started of a bit slow but his set really got good about half an hour into it. LG is a guy that can play anything and he does; the techo people like him because he can do that, but he can also drop some nice vintage house in the blink of an eye. Eclectic. Talented. No time for shoe gazing. Nice meeting crazylegs finally, and Liz too (not sure if she is on here or not). I will drop some images into the gallery later today.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Poot

TRIBE Member
No signs of life from Skipper or Babsteen yet - I take this as a sign that last night was tres fab. :D

(wish I hadn't had an 8am hair appointment in Hamilton. booo.)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Poot said:
No signs of life from Skipper or Babsteen yet - I take this as a sign that last night was tres fab. :D

(wish I hadn't had an 8am hair appointment in Hamilton. booo.)

Review of Tribers:
Skipper kept bumping into me (literally) and seemed grumpy initially but warmed up to the music and was dancing in the middle of the floor in no time. She looked hot in black & white!

Babsteen (no longer blonde) was glowing so much I did not recognize her at first until she mentioned 'wearing chaps' at the Northbound show which instantly brought everything into focus (unlike my pics). Must be the new BF Francois!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
alexd said:
Review of Tribers:
Skipper kept bumping into me (literally)

haha - maybe I was just trying to keep with the rest of the people there who were bumping into people at random!

I was both disappointed and thrilled with last night. Garnier played for 3.5 hours and I would have loved to hear greg for that last hour instead of Garnier. Honestly, REGGAE? DANCEHALL? I guess when you get a DJ who is known for playing everything, you have to expect not to like everything. the last 5 tracks were played at around 115bpm and watching the dancefloor was weird because everyone was in slow mo.

I thought his set was characterized mostly by jazzy house and a tech trance like sound. I heard both Ame - Rej and CRISPY BACON which were 2/3 tracks I wanted to hear him play.

Basically, for 2/3 of the set I thought his music was amazing. Music that isn't defined by a genre, stuff that really speaks to your soul. then came the reggae.

and the smoking! WRETCH. the sound! OW.

Nice to meet dg0425 (I think) and brad copeland, I apologize to seeker who I didn't recognize until he had shrugged and walked by me :eek:, atp, kalemic, nesta, deevah, poker face, mariazmess - lots of great tribers out last night. And alex, who refused to acknowledge that no one was being rude to him because he looked important. :p

PS. Kung Po Beef is an animal. rock on girl. :D

Last edited:

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
Stop the style code arrest the fashion police impeach the president:promoter

I'm going to London this summer, I think I'm going to cancel now.

When I got there it I thought it sucked so bad I was going to leave after 10 minutes.

The crowd was lame. ch33se ch33se ch33se That wasn't London, that was gino. I was suprised that those people were dancing to it somewhat. But I think it just reinforces my view that you can take a "hot spot", and tell dumbass people like that it's the "in" spot and they will listen to whatever crap you play over the system. And they'll dance to it to.

Like the stuff Brad Copeland was playing. I understand that he was probably taking it down a notch before LG, which is considerate of the headliner, but what the hell? Borrrring. It made me think of the kind of music paint drying would like to hear.

I've been to that venue before, it fits most of the people there last night. Conservative. Not innovative. It says, "Hey look, I make lots of money, I can afford to buy this stuff and wear it. I'm older, but thank God, because now I can wear expensive clothes and it hides the fact I'm boring"

And speaking of innovative what is the lighting guy getting paid to do? He's up there like Beethoven on a keyboard, but the lighting patterns were pretty much the same most of the night. Someone should make him go to Viva for a night. Speaking of which, there were some Asians practicing their light show moves, or nunchucks I guess. Maybe even light sabres, wouldn't they kick some serious Jedi ass?

But the lighting did get better with the music around 3:30 ish (LG played like one of his sets if you have d/l before). Thank heavens. Or maybe I was experiencing the contrast principle, because it sucked so bad before. If you went around 3, you would have loved the night.

Thanks to the person who gave me a hug before I left, seeing people you know and like always makes a crappy situtation bearable. Other than that I should have went to GV prolly, I miss Systems on Fridays.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I was wondering if the lighting guy came with Laurent. he seemed to know him pretty well and was really really into what Laurent was playing.

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
After reading the initial reviews in this thread. I'm glad I came home after work instead of hitting this up. I think I would have been VERY dissappointed.

I've always wanted to hear him live but I was afraid of the venue. Especially after hitting up Hotel Boutique the night before for Hatiras. Yikes! I'm going to need a week to recover from that one...

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Brad played a perfect opening, funky party house that go everyone going then dropped some slighty spacey, funky stuff before Laurent. Loved it.

I really, really enjoyed Laurent, the eclecticness, the styles, the sounds. His mixes seemed so perfect, and looked so effortless for him, he really seemed like he was on his game. I know that kind of stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea but I fucking loved it. Would love to know what mix of "man with a red face" he played as well.

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the other people there, I think the crowd is great, its alot of people up for party. I'd say I like the crowd better than the crowd that System got before it closed. I mean why do you care if the person beside you doesn't know the name of the dj?? I just don't understand spending so much time disliking people you don't know.

Anyways, it was fantastic to FINALLY hear Laurent play, had a great night, and it was awesome to see those that have been in hiding for the past while, great to meet some new people too.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
good night... untill some random guy bit me... WTF?

i was in such shock that someone actually bit me.. i didn't know how to react to that. I regret not smashing his face repeatedly with my clentched fist. I remember his face though. If i see him again I'm breaking at least one of his fingers.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
ev said:
good night... untill some random guy bit me... WTF?

i was in such shock that someone actually bit me.. i didn't know how to react to that. I regret not smashing his face repeatedly with my clentched fist. I remember his face though. If i see him again I'm breaking at least one of his fingers.

Yeah, fuckin Jon Tremblay is really getting out of control these days... :p

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
Kalemic said:
Yeah, fuckin Jon Tremblay is really getting out of control these days... :p
tremblay.jpg

pen_devil

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
I was wondering if the lighting guy came with Laurent. he seemed to know him pretty well and was really really into what Laurent was playing.

I think he's the house lighting guy, he's there every week

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
Honestly, REGGAE? DANCEHALL? I guess when you get a DJ who is known for playing everything, you have to expect not to like everything. the last 5 tracks were played at around 115bpm and watching the dancefloor was weird because everyone was in slow mo.

Oh give me a fucking break... you mean he actually played music that was less than 120bpms? I HOPE THEY GAVE A FULL REFUND TO EVERYONE WHO WAS SUBJECTED TO SUCH INSANITY!!!

My condolences go out to everyone who had to hear REGGAE *gasp* at an electonic music night! :p

Skipper

TRIBE Member
DJ Doublecross said:
Oh give me a fucking break... you mean he actually played music that was less than 120bpms? I HOPE THEY GAVE A FULL REFUND TO EVERYONE WHO WAS SUBJECTED TO SUCH INSANITY!!!

My condolences go out to everyone who had to hear REGGAE *gasp* at an electonic music night! :p

I didn't think it fit the other 2/3 of his set.
If you weren't there, you can't really say how it was, eh?

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
Well I've seen Garnier a few times and have heard sets from him in which he plays reggae (including the time he played at System a few years ago) and it sounded awesome to me. But you're right, maybe this time he just screwed it up.