• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Latin, Afrobeat, Worldbeat Soul

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
An all encompassing thread to capture all the great music that isn't neccesarily house music but easily shares the vibe...

Some of the latest stuff I've been feeling:

Ocote Soul Sounds - kinda latin soulful downtemp stuff. Their latest album "El Niño y El Sol " doesn't come out until June 2006, but you can hear some samples on their myspace page: www.myspace.com/ocotesoulsounds and their website: www.ocotesoulsounds.com

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra - exactly how it sounds, afrobeat funk with a huge assembly (I think they've got something like 15 members). Check out their website at antibalas.com or their myspacepage at http://www.myspace.com/antibalasafrobeatorchestra

Fela Kuti - not new by any means, this dude is the GODFATHER of afrobeat. If you've got time to kill, and you're interested in hearing some amazing stories, do some googling on Fela, he's led an unreal life and his social and political activism has been huge. This is the dude that started the whole sound and is responsible for groups like Masters at Work (check out the Tribute to Fela EP by MAW.... wicked release).

Grupo X - more latin soul, inspirations from descarga, salsa dura, latin jazz, latin soul, bugalu, Brasilian samba, Puerto Rican bomba, Afro-Cuban bata drums, ska, Afro-Peruvian rhythms, Salsoul style string arrangements, and sultry vocals. Very danceable and treading the fine line between worldbeat and deep house. Samples available at www.myspace.com/grupox

(advance apologies for cutting and pasting this from an email I just sent someone who also reads this board... after I sent it I thought other heads might be interested too).

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Coming from a huge fan of Afropop, check out:

baob.jpg

and

adc304.jpg

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Rude1_247 said:
An all encompassing thread to capture all the great music that isn't neccesarily house music but easily shares the vibe...

Some of the latest stuff I've been feeling:

Ocote Soul Sounds - kinda latin soulful downtemp stuff. Their latest album "El Niño y El Sol " doesn't come out until June 2006, but you can hear some samples on their myspace page: www.myspace.com/ocotesoulsounds and their website: www.ocotesoulsounds.com

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra - exactly how it sounds, afrobeat funk with a huge assembly (I think they've got something like 15 members). Check out their website at antibalas.com or their myspacepage at http://www.myspace.com/antibalasafrobeatorchestra

Fela Kuti - not new by any means, this dude is the GODFATHER of afrobeat. If you've got time to kill, and you're interested in hearing some amazing stories, do some googling on Fela, he's led an unreal life and his social and political activism has been huge. This is the dude that started the whole sound and is responsible for groups like Masters at Work (check out the Tribute to Fela EP by MAW.... wicked release).

Grupo X - more latin soul, inspirations from descarga, salsa dura, latin jazz, latin soul, bugalu, Brasilian samba, Puerto Rican bomba, Afro-Cuban bata drums, ska, Afro-Peruvian rhythms, Salsoul style string arrangements, and sultry vocals. Very danceable and treading the fine line between worldbeat and deep house. Samples available at www.myspace.com/grupox

(advance apologies for cutting and pasting this from an email I just sent someone who also reads this board... after I sent it I thought other heads might be interested too).

some would argue it's ALL 'house' brother. ;)

d

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Hahaha... I just read the subject line and thought - hey, I just got that email!! Share the love brother, share the love...

Stuff I've been feeling for a while now as you know... the Buddha Bar series absolutely ROCKS my world... you can listen to it over n' over n' over and never get bored.

For world electronica I'm really loving Niyaz.... so lovely, soulful middle eastern vibe.

All day long I listen to www.1dot4.fm - their sensual world mix is great.

Good thread - I hope others have more gems to share!

--g.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Check out more on Niyaz

B0007W7H98.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Indian exoticism and beats that are state of the art. Ali's vocals are wholly evocative of another world and another time, which creates a wonderful tension with Torkian and Rizzo's inspired instrumental textures." - Billboard

I saw them live at Lula lounge last year and while they're not the most charismatic band on stage, the music surrounds you in this ethereal, sublime kind of way. Great for lazy weekends at home, smoking a j with the incense burning. :eek:

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
my $0.02... (totally an aside. don't want to really start any argument)

'house' & 'garage' were never meant to be specific genres with clearly delineated boundaries... these terms were never meant to be musical 'boxes'. if people look back far enough, the stuff being played in the early days when these terms were coined was all over the place and all-encompassing... it was music that simply made you move (and still is in it's purest incarnations and you can still see that from those artists who spin 'house' music in it's intended/original spirit) modern-day references to those two words certainly don't keep true to the real 'meaning' or spirit of 'house'.

...soul, disco, afrobeat, etc. was always 'house' and will always be in my eyes.

great thread. keep them coming.

d

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
There's this DJ collective in Vancouver called Beats Without Borders. I've never been to one of their shows but this is how they describe themselves:

"The Beats Without Borders Collective is made up of 4 established world beat DJs, who spin the best dance music on the planet... from funked out afrobeat to sexy middle-eastern bellydance to bangin' bhangra, they'll rock the party, guaranteed.

We've been around for a year now, and have made a name for ourselves by throwing monthly parties at local clubs, by bringing in big names such as Cheb i Sabbah and Janaka Selekta, and by kickin it at festivals such as the Vancouver International Folk Fest.

We spin music from around the globe, and we believe we should give something back as well; that's why we donate 5% of everything we make to Doctors Without Borders."

Does anyone know if something like this exists in T.O??? If not, WHY NOT???

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
dvs said:
...soul, disco, afrobeat, etc. was always 'house' and will always be in my eyes.

great thread. keep them coming.

d

I'm from the old skool too Dany, I hear ya. :)

I should have put nu-jazz into the title as well. There's some awesome fusion stuff out there that fits nicely with all the above. I just got turned onto Monday Michuru. She makes no pretenses to her love for the electronic music and lays down some dope jazzy vocals. Check out http://www.myspace.com/mondaymichirumusic for some tidbits.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
^^ funny that's the first thing i thought after i posted that (but the edit function had already expired) ..can't forget the JAZZ!

d

octo

TRIBE Member
nice thread!

i'm going to add

Ultramagnus 10 piece afrobeat/funk/jazz
they were at supermarket last weekend but i couldn't go
www.ultramagnus.net

Afrodizz - fela influenced afrofunk
they're at supermarket every so often too. they're albums have come out on John Kong's label
www.afrodizz.com

Los Amigos Invisibles from Venezuala are also wicked!
www.amigosinvisibles.com

edit: i just put on some afrodizz. i can't stop bouncing around! i'm typing to the beat!!

Deep_Groove

TRIBE Member
One party I've been liking recently for world-dance music vibes is the BESHARAM party at Fly on the 1st weekend of every month...DJ Zahra (?) I think....Great DJ, spins everything from old bollywood classics to dancehall to punjabi hip hop, to bhangra-style House music (for real!)....and a serious mixed party crowd....

- Deep_Groove

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
i'm a sucker for afrobeat, latin percussive beats and this latest louie vega comp is just great...

really digging Francis Mbappe's take on Fela Kuti's "Gbagada Gbagada Gbogodo Gbogodo" off this. heat!

100902190.jpeg

Louie Vega, Percussion Maddness captures percussionist Luisito Quintero's sweltering Afro-Latin sound, framed by bossa nova beats and fiery jazz. Quintero's career first really launched via his work with Latin diva India, and was later framed that much more by his collabs with Gloria Estefan, Marc Anthony, and Ray Barreto. Maintaining similar musical ideals (Vega is known for his ultrapercussive production and DJ sets), there is perhaps no one more perfect than Vega to summon a less traditional and more spicy sound from Quintero. (on the K7 label)

Luisito Quintero was born in Caracas, Venezuela where his musical influences first took root. Afro-Venezuelan rhythm surrounded him at home; his father was a respected percussionist and he tutored and encouraged Luisito on timbales through his adolescent years. Luisito continued on his musical journey, studying at Orquesta Simfonica de Venezuela (The Symphonic Orchestra of Venezuela) where his timbale technique impressed his professors and colleagues. After school Luisito joined the popular music ensembles Grupo Guaco and El Trabuco Venezolano, and traveled extensively with Oscar D'Leon, enjoying the worldwide exposure he received on tour. Luisito's performing credits, projects and recordings are extensive. He perfected his percussion style working with the late Tito Puente, Eddie Palmieri, Marc Anthony, Gloria Estefan, Richard Bona, Jack Dejonette, Willie Colon, George Benson, Natalie Cole, Herbie Hancock, Nuyorican Soul, and Masters at Work to name a few.
As the backbone of the band, Luisito has been an influential part of Louie Vega's Element of Life projects Combining Afro-Latin rhythms with jazz and bossa nova sounds, Elements of Life was a worldwide hit. While on tour with the Elements of Life band for the past three years, Luisito has shared the stage with Robert Plant, Lauryn Hill and Alicia Keys and more. The EOL band has played some of the top festivals from the likes of Montreux Jazz Festival (Switzerland), North Sea Jazz Festival (Netherlands), Roskilde (Denmark), Blue Note (Japan), Jazz Cafe (London) and the legendary New Morning Cafe (Paris).
Luisito continues his musical journey with a new release produced by Louie Vega entitled Percussion Maddness. The album shows the artistic side of a percussionist at his finest. Among the many collaborations, the soulful 'Love Remains the Same' and Afro Cuban 'Tumbao' both feature members of Blaze, while 'Our Love' showcases the vocal talents of EOL's Anane. Luisito also recreates hits by the late great Tito Puente and Fela Kuti, accompanied by Hilton Ruiz on Puente's classic 'Four Beat Mambo', and Francis Mbappe on Fela's 'Gbagada, Gbagada, Gbogodo, Gbogodo'.

Percussion Maddness exhibits Luisito Quintero's lively imagination and musical creativity throughout the release . His passion for the music and artful rhythms will impress first time listeners and for long time fans- this is the record you've been waiting for.

d

Last edited:

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Great thread Mark, I plan on checking out a lot of these suggestions

Some that I’ve always enjoyed..

Nicola Conte
Phil Asher
Beatless / Alex Attias
Llorca
Nicodemus & Mariano (Turntables on the Hudson) & all stuff on Giant Step

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Wouldn't it be *great* if someone in T.O could hook this up?? Anyone??

June 29 - BwB presents Sub Swara (NYC) @ Red Room
Show starts @ 9pm at the Red Room, 398 Richards St. - this show is gonna
rock *hard*, in a good way!

Dhruva (Sub Swara | Dhamaal SF | Freek Factory)
Haj (Sub Swara | Freek Factory)
Sunder (Sub Swara | Freek Factory | Sol System)

Drawing from the most ancient of musical traditions as well as the most
cutting edge modern soundscapes, Sub Swara has already become one of New
York's hottest monthly club nights since its inception in August 2005.

The name itself represents these converging sonic lineages - Swara being
the tonal center of Indian music and Sub representing the bass-fueled dance
floor energy provided by the backbone of midtempo, breakbeat, UK grime,
glitch, and drum n bass aesthetics.

At the core of the night lies the Sub Swara Live Set, which has become a
highly sought after act both in New York and worldwide. Sub Swara residents,
Dhruva and Haj (DJ/Producer) create a genre-defying palate of morphing
tempos and imagery, with intricate sonic conversations between decks and
percussion, all interlaced with original tracks and an undeniable dance
floor appeal. [www.subswara.com]
http://profile.myspace.com/subswara

Plus Beats without Borders residents Nils, Lady Ra, Tarun, Adrian