• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Last Colbert Tonight

praktik

TRIBE Member
...a sad day...

Havent missed an episode for a few years going now and there will be a gap in my weekly viewing that wont be completely replaced by whatever his new vehicle is I'm sure.

His interviews got better and better IMO and there was a character they would have you wouldnt get anywhere else, cause Colbert the personality would easily ignore data and press people in ways normal interviewers could never pull off.

He will be missed!

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

praktik

TRIBE Member
who can forget this?

Watched this recently with a friend who never knew about it and saw it for the first time - it's still amazing:

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i used to watch him everyday at 11:30 pm, after john stewart, until the comedy network made the retarded move of putting jimmy kimmel on at 11:30 pm and moving colbert to 1:30 am.

who the hell stays up to 1:30 - 2 am on a weekday to watch television?

i will set the PVR to record the last episode.

can't wait to see him takeover the the late show!

praktik

TRIBE Member
ya that switched my habit - watched stewart same day and yesterday's colbert! PVR'd them for next-day

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Colbert > Stewart

his show was always funnier than there Daily Show, even more so now that Stewart is getting more politically correct by the week.

I'm sure he'll do a good job on the late show, but there's no way it'll be as funny as the character he created on his own show. it will be missed.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
I think I enjoy Colbert more too, but I still enjoy Stewart very much. The new blood is great!

The Stewart advantage is a super hilarious group of correspondents, Jessica Williams and Jordan Klepper are brilliant and I wish Michael Che stayed with them instead of heading to SNL...

Alex Madrigal is hilarious on and off the Daily Show and its a shame we get about one Asif Mandvi bit every 2 months...

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Stewart use to have the best correspondents, but i'm not feeling any of the newer ones. Still like the remaining old school ones.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
NzFHnnT.png

saw this on reddit....lol

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
ya, Oliver benefits greatly from being on HBO,and only doing a show a week, but he ain't anywhere near Colbert. Even Stewart is better.

praktik

TRIBE Member
...though yes, Oliver's show is likely better but this has a lot do with the better format - HBO lets him craft things with a lot more flexibility/time.

Techdruid

TRIBE Member
I honestly cried. Had such a crush on him back in 2006.

Holy celeb-dropping in the last segment, Batman! However, it was cute how he went out with one last Canadian jab along with Trebek..... "all of life's answers... must be made in the form of a question!"

coleridge

TRIBE Member
he was much better than stwart when he took over while jon was on vacation

No he wasn't at first. He copied so much of Stewart's mannerisms and delivery that he felt completely fake. Some of that had to be the writers though. But by the end he had come into his own although I still don't think he was better.

His HBO show is great and the improvements over Stewart and Colbert are completely because they don't have to break the show into 10min segments and he's allowed to use much fouler language.

They're all genius though.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I wish Michael Che stayed with them instead of heading to SNL...

Yeah I don't know what's wrong with Che on SNL. His delivery as been really weak although the last two weekend updates he's gotten better. But he was killer on the Daily Show.

I do like the new South African guy. His opening joke: "I just flew in from South Africa and boy are my arms tired .... of having to hold them up since arriving. Don't Shoot!"

Dialog

TRIBE Member
No he wasn't at first. He copied so much of Stewart's mannerisms and delivery that he felt completely fake. Some of that had to be the writers though. But by the end he had come into his own although I still don't think he was better.

His HBO show is great and the improvements over Stewart and Colbert are completely because they don't have to break the show into 10min segments and he's allowed to use much fouler language.

They're all genius though.

Agreed, and my take on Oliver filling in for Stewart was not that he wanted to do Stewart's schtick/style, but that one of the constraints of him hosting the show was that the writing wouldn't change. They weren't developing a personalized voice for him; they had a finely-tuned machine, the writing department had and established style, and it was summer and writers were probably going on vacation here and there. Sometimes—mostly early on—it failed and was awkward, but Oliver gave it his all and proved his chops.

FWIW I think Colbert's better than Stewart, but the shows have different approaches despite their commonalities. Still love the Daily Show!