1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

largest notebook drives available for the best value

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, Sep 22, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

My notebook drive (200 gb) is nearly full and I am finding I have to keep deleting stuff to give me some headroom. What are the largest drives they make these days with the best $ per gig ratio. Reliability is also key. Any recommendations?

2. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

3. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

4. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Or, you could get a 7200rpm mechanism and not be cursing your purchase a few days after installation. I have read that the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 delivered the best bang for the buck for marginally higher power draw

Seagate Momentus (ST9500420AS) 500GB 7200.4 SATA 7200RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" Laptop HDD (OEM) | Canada Computers

5. alexd

6. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

As a rule of thumb never look at anything below 7200rpm.

7. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

i've seen 1.2TB hard drives in new laptops now.

8. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Some things to consider with this rule of thumb, 7200rpm drives spin faster and therefor create more heat, vibrations and noise than the 5400rpm drives.

So if your laptop has heat problems, or if you require your laptop to be virtually silent then perhaps a 5400rpm could be preferable.

Sometimes people need a large drive, not a fast one. Especially in a slower computer like the netbooks, the added speed of a 7200rpm drive might not actually improve your performance much if at all.

But yeah, for my utility, 7200rpm would be my choice if I couldn't afford the SSD drive in the size I need.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  9. alexd

jesus

10. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

why don't you spend the extra $1000 and get yourself a nice SSD? Your computer will boot up in 5 seconds and all your programs open lightening quick.

11. alexd

I was just down at filtech and they told me the 1 tb and greater drives have a larger form factor and may not be able to fit in existing notebooks. I guess the 2.5" width is still what they call them by, but they will be too thick for me I reckon.

12. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

the worst thing you can do is store a lot of information on your laptop locally. Here are just a few of the reasons not to do so:

1. THEFT - yup, unless you back it up you are boned for 200GB+ of data.

2. HEAT - Laptops do not dissipate drive heat as well as desktops, heat is the number one factor in drive failure. The faster the drive, the more heat it produces, the bigger the drive, the more heat it produces. Putting a bigger drive in your laptop without realizing that it will produce more heat and thus die faster is basically throwing your money away.

3. PHYSICS - Those pesky laws of physics also stand in your way when you put a desktop drive into your laptop. Vibration is the second leading cause of drive failure/error. Chances are your laptop is going to vibrate a lot more heavily if you put a beefier drive in there. Thus putting a 7200 RPM drive in your laptop is a great plan, but chances are your laptop may not have been engineered to handle that level of vibration. Moreover, your drive (unless you buy enterprise level drives) may also not be engineered to handle that level of vibration.

Reccomendations:

1. Get an external drive. They are cheap, they are fast and they will not suffer those problems if you buy a decent one.

2. Get an SSD internally. They are coming down in price, going up in reliability and do not suffer from vibration and can take a lot more heat for a lot longer than a platter driven drive. The one caveat would be the number of writes you can get in, but if you look at the average lifecycle of a laptop as being 5 years, then you can probably see that you would be hard pressed to fill the drive over 100 000 times.

13. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

from this article on the Seagate Momentus 2700.4, dated Aug. 20, 2009.

"But what’s the point of such a thing in a laptop? It’s a 7200 RPM drive, don’t they suck power like mad and run incredibly hot? Well actually, no. The Apple OEM drive made by Fujitsu is a 5400 RPM drive, and fairly efficient – it draws 0.60 amps at 5 volts, or 3 watts. This gem also operates at the standard 5 volts, but only draws .451 amps, or 2.25 watts, a full quarter less than the already efficient, if slow, Fujitsu. Bringing this back to heat, I’ll quote the first law of thermodynamics as provided by Wikipedia: “The change in the internal energy [temperature] of a closed thermodynamic system is equal to the sum of the amount of heat energy [electricity] supplied to the system and the work done on the system.” Thus, less watts of electricity in, less watts of heat out. In my system, the hard drive’s idle temperature is currently hovering around 40°c – four to six degrees lower than average temperature with the Apple/Fujitsu OEM drive. And it’s faster? That is an engineering coup, gentlemen."

14. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

And regarding the WD Scorpio Black --which benchmarks even faster than the above Seagate:

"We always thought that the WD Scorpio Black series of hard drives would be less power efficient than the WD Scorpio Blue series since the Black series have a 7200 RPM drive speed versus the 5400 RPM found in the Blue series.. We looked at the WD specifications for the Scorpio Black 500GB (WD5000BEKT) and found that it consumes 0.83 Watts and idle and then when under full load doing read/write operations the drive consumes 1.80 Watts. We were shocked to find that WD rated the Scorpio Blue 500GB (WD5000BEVT) as consuming 0.85 Watts at idle and then under full load doing read/write the drive consumes 2.50 Watts. If this isn't a typo it means that that the black series has more cache, a higher rotational speed (lower latency), better performance, a 2 year longer warranty and better energy efficiency! The only downside would be noise levels as the Black series is 2 dBA louder during a seek mode operation. "

So, more noise from the 7200 rpm drive--can't have it all at this price point--but it looks like major efficiency advances have been made in the 2.5" 7200rpm category.

15. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

in my experience the BEKT drives make way more noise, heat and vibration than their momentus 7200 rpm counterparts.