• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Laptop stand for DJing?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
At the TRIBE BBQ last summer one of the DJs had a really nice laptop stand that can be used in DJ setups (but I can't remember which DJ...) . Where do you get such fine stands? How much do they cost?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Might have been me. I have a Stanton Uberstand. It's pretty good but not adjustable at all. You can get them at Long @ Mcquade, Steves etc. It retails for about $100. I bought mine from Robb G. Pluses: Military grade sturdy as all fuck. Has a shelf for an audio interface. Folds nicely and is very portable. Minuses: Not adjustable. You need to use a ziptie to make sure it is secure. Like they actually include a ziptie in the package.

Long & McQuade - Stanton Uberstand - Laptop Stand

There are lots on the market though. Check out Moog Audio. They should have a few you can check out in store.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
I have the Stanton as well.. it's about as slick-looking as they come, extremely durable, works as well as any other stand, has an adjustable shelf for serato of whatever, and folds down flat for easy transport.

it was somewhere in the neighbourhood of $100 at L&M, if memory serves.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
use the supplied zip tie as per the instructions and you shouldn't have any trouble.
and you have to keep on using and buying them everytime you want to set up? That and I'd have to bring a knife to every one of my gigs to cut the zipties? No thanks.

right now I use this for my laptop:

Griffin Technology: Elevator - Desktop Stand for Laptops

not the most compact in the world, but it works.

and this for my midi controller:

Matias iFold - Portable stand for your laptop

That one has some of the same limitations of the uberstand (wobbly) but at least it doesn't raise up my device like a foot in the air at a complete right-angle. I'd be more into the uberstand if the laptop tray actually tilted a little downward - would also act as a better balast for keep the laptop from going flying...

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
the griffin is too low for me and you end up obscuring the top 1/3 -1/4 of the mixer if you try to mount it "around" the mixer.

crane - looks decent and I'd would like to try it out

re: Stanton - no problems with flailing weirdos yet! I also like the two levels: top for my laptop, bottom for Serato or my MIDI device

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Alex, where can I get me a pair of those CDJs? :)

Jay
Those are the vintage ones, not the snazzy new versions that are the same size. They are entirely made of metal, and heavy as fuck, which I like. They have been discontinued for a long time.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
the griffin is too low for me and you end up obscuring the top 1/3 -1/4 of the mixer if you try to mount it "around" the mixer.

crane - looks decent and I'd would like to try it out

re: Stanton - no problems with flailing weirdos yet! I also like the two levels: top for my laptop, bottom for Serato or my MIDI device
yea, i never put my laptop right in front of my mixer - it's usually off to the side - so it's all good for me...

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
That crane DOES look very nice... But ya know, so does the Odyssey!! The clamps and the removable base (click link and watch video) are a GREAT and easy idea. Looks sturdy too!

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Have seen both, the crane is much more compact when folded up... It just feels like a sturdier stand too...

mrfinesse

TRIBE Member
I used an Odyssey L Stand S. cheap prise-wise and it does it's job. Only real issue i had was that the bottom of my laptop was not completely flat and it didn't sit right on the stand. Got some rubber padding from the dollar store to put on stand and issue solved.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
and you have to keep on using and buying them everytime you want to set up? That and I'd have to bring a knife to every one of my gigs to cut the zipties? No thanks.
haha.. yeah, that would definitely suck if that was the case, but the zip tie has a quick-release tab. it's really not a bad system.