1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Laptop screen on fritz?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by me, Mar 23, 2010.

1. me

me TRIBE Member

My Dell laptop has recently been having issues whereby my desktop or whatever I'm working on suddenly "pfitz's" and the screen goes a transparent black but you can still see what was there previously in the background. It's not until you manually shutdown can you restart to correct but even still it only takes a few minutes for it to occur again.
    Any troubleshooting or causes for the problem? How can I fix it, how much?
    Who is reliable?

Your comments are appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Blue Meanies

Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

Is the back light shutting off? You can still see and do things its just not back lit anymore? (kinda looks like eink readers)
    If so...
    That's a mother board issue, if its under warranty take it to dell. They should be able to replace the mobo for you.

3. me

me TRIBE Member

When the screen goes "black" you can still see that the program is running but it is far too dark to be able to do any work on it.
    What is "eink readers"?

Dell warranty expired in November :(

4. Blue Meanies

That means the back light has failed and it usually ends up being a motherboard problem. Take it to dell they should be able to tell you exactly what the problem is regardless of warranty but I've had this problem before and it was my laptop motherboard that needed to be replaced. Buying a new laptop is a cheaper option if your motherboard DOES need to be replaced.

5. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

whoa whoa there tiger

i would look at replacing the inverte, and then the inverter cable, before jumping right to the mobo

what you are suggesting is like amputating a guys arm because he has a blister...

take it to one of the sketchy computer places at yonge and college they can probably accurately diagnose it for you

6. Blue Meanies

I was simply stating what had happened to me in the past and what the outcome was. As I stated the obvious first step is taking it to a professional to have it checked :)

7. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

well, not to be pedantic, but no...you didnt.

was your first suggestion.

8. Blue Meanies

videotronic is right, don't do anything until a professional advises you what is wrong :)