• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

laptop batteries

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
My battery cannot be charged anymore(long story) where can I get a new one.(Don't tell me to go back where I got the laptop, got it from ebay)

muchos gracias

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
what make and model is it?

did you try putting it in the freezer?

http://www.hackaday.com/2005/08/26/how-to-laptop-resurrection-and-upgrade/

Battery Revival:

The batteries on laptops are often a problem. Most people sit their laptop on a desk and use AC power, so the battery usually suffers, resulting in a chemical 'memory', which gives them a life of about 3 seconds under load. The batteries in my donor laptops were both made in 2000, so I had to try and revive them. If you have any NiCd or NiMH batteries that won't hold their charge, you can often revive them. This is not a new concept, but here is my recipe for reviving rechargeable batteries:

1. Discharge the battery as much as you can.
2. Place in a sealed plastic bag.
3. Place the bag in your freezer for at least 24hours. Overnight is sometimes enough, but I leave it about a week.
4. Take the bag out of the freezer and leave the battery to return to room temperature. Make sure you wipe off any condensation from the battery contacts before you use it. I just leave them in the sun for a few hours.
5. Fully charge the battery, then run it down again, as low as you can get it. Repeat this charge-discharge cycle a few times, and see if you get a longer life.

Your mileage will vary, but two of my 5-year-old batteries are now useful. I get between 2 and 4 hours from one of them, depending on the load on my laptop. You can do this with cellphone batteries, or batteries from lots of other gear.

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
Ok, maybe I should explain what happened to the battery. I used the wrong ac adapter to charge it so now it's screwed. Putting the battery in the freezer for 2 days didn't help.

Why is it so hard to find a battery!! Anyone else know??

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

swenard

TRIBE Member
~decepticon~ said:
Ok, maybe I should explain what happened to the battery. I used the wrong ac adapter to charge it so now it's screwed. Putting the battery in the freezer for 2 days didn't help.

Why is it so hard to find a battery!! Anyone else know??

I'm not being facetious, when I say, try a battery place. There are lots of industrial battery places that carry EVERY type of battery. Acme batteries in Hamilton is one place I have been to for odd batteries.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
C.J. Laptop Depot on college between Augusta and Spadina on the south side is a good place to go for laptop parts.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I have an Acer battery that I don't need anymore since my motherboard fried. Travelmate series. Anyone?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders