• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Laptop advice

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

atomic

TRIBE Member
I don't know anything about installing linux on a mac... I'm sure other macheads around here can answer that.

maybe you should consider going pc. you get to do all your work and have the same functionality as your co-workers in one laptop.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by atomic
I don't know anything about installing linux on a mac... I'm sure other macheads around here can answer that.

maybe you should consider going pc. you get to do all your work and have the same functionality as your co-workers in one laptop.
I guess so, I mean I am sure that the same job can be done on both MAC and PC when it comes to graphical stuff...

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
There was a package deal on the HP.CA website today for a Compaq laptop - 15.4", 1.4 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB, DVD+CD-R drive, 802.11b. Plus they were including an iPAQ H2210, and a deskjet printer and a Deskjet scanner with autofeeder.

Total retail value is $3,500, but it listed for $1,247. So I bought one. However, I have this funny feeling that HP is going to cancel my order and say they won't honour the deal, because they took the deal off their website a few minutes after I ordered.

Cheers ... Ian :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I'm biased towards MACs for what your are saying. If your going to actually be wroking on full colour to print I woul insist on MACs. By there nature they are far easier to calibrate to match the screen to the colour output of printing.

Stay away from the iBook it has a hrrible reputation for break downs, go for the higher end mac equipment.

The only reason to go PC for what you are doing is to save money, every app you listed is better on the mac.

atomic

TRIBE Member
I prefer working in a mac for the apps as well, but she listed Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash. The first three are fine on PC, but flash has always been better on the PC. it's not apple's fault, it's just bad programming from macromedia.

I'm also taking into account the PC/Linux setup her co-workers have.

although if there's money to burn, they why not get the 17" powerbook, eh? ;)

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by finary
you can run linux on a mac????

mac os x is a version of BSD called darwin. the aqua interface is similar(in idea) to something like KDE in linux(although much more functional). you can even open up a terminal session and do work via command line(exactly like UNIX, because it IS UNIX).

i'd go with labrat's suggestion and get a powerbook(15" would be best for you). i have an ibook and am satisfied. if you get a new powerbook you will not be able to boot into os 9. but you can use classic for most programs.

great with graphics, pretty on top, UNIX underneath....how can you go wrong?

finary

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Syntax Error
great with graphics, pretty on top, UNIX underneath....how can you go wrong?

I'm well aware of MAC OSX's features. I run FreeBSD +KDE at home actually, and no you can't go wrong! ;)

However, her company is Linux based, and BSD just wont cut it. So I'd reccomend she get a powerful PC notebook so she can dual boot it with linux, and also run her powerful graphics applications in windows.

Cheers,

/f

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
People who still say Photoshop, Illustrator and other Adobe products run better on a MAC are just wrong.

I'd say 5 years ago, yes I'd agree... these products were geared for the MAC, but these days, I feel they've come a long way and are meant to run on a PC/MAC the same.

pr0nstar

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
pc's are definitely catching up in the "creative" department. that still doesn't make the mac obsolete IMO.

i like corned beef.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
What makes MAC "better" than a PC when it comes to graphical content?
Wouldn't I be able to compensate that on a PC? (for example, the MAC is faster, so I would buy more RAM if I get a PC, etc...)

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
The MAC is not faster ...

Build a SCSI PC and it will be faster :p

The main reason they can say it's faster at times, is they generally(at least in the past) used all SCSI systems.

And when a PC is using EIDE vs SCSI you couldn't really compare in the past.

IMO it's all about personal preference. Like I said, you ask me this 5 years ago, I'd say MAC for Graphical Editing... but not these days.

pr0nstar

finary

TRIBE Promoter
i really dont see how this is much of a decision :p

from what ive read and what i know about your situation it clearly looks like you should get the PC notebook, and make sure the processor and ram is beefed up.

/f