• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Laptop advice

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I am in the process of buying a new laptop. Well, the company is buying one for me since I am going to be away from the office more.
I really don't know what to get, because I am not sure what best out there.
I am going to use it for a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash type stuff (brochures, picture morphing, press releases, etc...)

I heard a lot about the Mac laptops, but are they better than the regular Dells... well, Windows-type laptops.
Can someone offer me a good advice before my company invests in something that's not truly the best?

Thanks a lot.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
No clue,but I remember a recent thread about the iBooks or whatever they're called having some problems.

pr0nstar

labRat

TRIBE Member
ibook is more for those who can't afford a powerbook.

decent machine, but not as powerful.

adobe products work really well on macs

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
iMac, iBooks... whatever, I am sorry I didn't know the name.

Well, I specified what I am going to be using it for, and I thought that Mac are good the this stuff that I am doing.
Windows does its job too, although it will be a dual Linux-Windows boot.

So... yeah, hence my question.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
HA HA HA...
Those suggestions are welcomed as well, I guess. ;)

My heir Soundstream... I apologise to thee about making such mistake... LOL

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Toshiba is the Porsche Boxster of laptops...the only reason someone buys one is because they can't afford a 911 (Thinkpad).

Maui

TRIBE Member
I'll be buying a dell laptop later this year.
I wouldn't consider anything else.

edit: okay I might consider a sony just cause they kick ass but I know nothing about them.

Peace,

Maui

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

juice

TRIBE Member
I've owned Dell, IBM, and Sony laptops and have to say I'd gladly buy a Dell or Sony again in a second. IBM laptops are great but not worth the extra money you'd pay ... but hey if the company is paying for it I'd grab an IBM.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I have heard good things about Toshiba (other than Dell)... so I guess it will all come down to whether or not they both do the same thing and whether the price of one outrageously more expensive than the other for the same thing.

Hmmm, Dell - Toshiba...

atomic

TRIBE Member
do you need to share files with your co-workers and/or clients? if so, what environment are they mostly in, mac or pc?

have you worked in OS/X before? if not, would you mind learning a new operating system?

answers to these will help you determine if you should go mac or pc, then work from there.

cheers,
a

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by atomic
do you need to share files with your co-workers and/or clients? if so, what environment are they mostly in, mac or pc?

have you worked in OS/X before? if not, would you mind learning a new operating system?

answers to these will help you determine if you should go mac or pc, then work from there.

cheers,
a
Have worked on MACOS-X and OS-9, and even if I am not a pro, I noticed it's very easy to learn.
We are a Linux-based company on PCs, but since I work in the marketing department, I will mostly work on brochures, press releases, charts, etc... the marketing side rather than the programming side, however, the laptop will have a dual boot, as I need to be a little familiar with our software (which like I said, it's Linux-based).