• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Laptop Advice Please

pete ep

TRIBE Member
I know this topic comes up quite often, but now it's my turn.

I'm gonna buy a laptop. I want one with a centrino chip (1.5 or above), at least 512 mb ram and one which is light-weight. I want it to look cool! I have heard good things about toshiba, but all the models I have seen are bigger than I'm hoping for. Granted, I haven't seen all their models, but those I have were fairly heavy.

Also, where should I make my purchase? I try to avoid future shop...have heard some horror stories.

Any suggestions???

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Sony PCGZ1WAMP1, check at www.sonystyle.ca.

I sell them. It will probally be the sweetest laptop you've seen thus far. Upto 12 hours battery, a 14" 1400x1200 LCD, Magnesium body, and only 4.5 lbs!

also
1.7 Ghz Centrino
512 MB Ram (512 x1 not 256 x 2 = good for upgrading)
Bluetooth
802.11G etc.

PM me and I'll see if we can work out something for you.

Ciao.
PCGZ1WAMP1_bot.jpg
PCGZ1WAMP1_l.jpg
PCGZ1WAMP1_r.jpg

Last edited:

pete ep

TRIBE Member
That's a sick laptop Static. Are they out yet? It says March 10th on the link (which I guess is very soon). Anyways, I'll pm you. Thanks boss. Oh yeah, I heard that Sony laptops are a pain in the ass tp get serviced if problems arise...any comment?

pete ep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deus
What's the word on the Centurio Processors? Are they essentially Pentiums for laptops?

I'm no techy, but from what I have read they offer more battery life and are good for wireless applications.

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
PM box is now clean!

The Centrino Processor typically has a much longer battery life and integrates networking and processing in one. They are also more efficient than Pentium 4 processors. A Centrino 1.4 is appoximately equal to a P4 2.2 for example.

matt

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deus
What's the word on the Centurio Processors? Are they essentially Pentiums for laptops?

the centrino laptops are made up of the processor (pentium M), wireless (intel, intergraded).. wireless is nice to have these days ..

I have a toshiba satellite a30 (entry level) .. they are lower in price then most, but have everything that i need..

30 gig HD, 256 DDR (could be upgraded), celeron 2.5ghz and all that jazz.. i am not a gamer, so this lappy is perfect.

Jay

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pete ep
That's a sick laptop Static. Are they out yet? It says March 10th on the link (which I guess is very soon). Anyways, I'll pm you. Thanks boss. Oh yeah, I heard that Sony laptops are a pain in the ass tp get serviced if problems arise...any comment?

Not really, easier than alot of companies because you can go directly to any Sony Store and they will take care of you. For example:

Buy a $3500 Toshiba laptop at Future Shop, or most computer stores - you get 15 days in-store warranty, and 1-year manufacturer-which means you have to ship it yourself. If you want a 3 year in-store warranty its $550 (go to their website and see!).

Buy directly from Sony you get 3 years $330 (or from $270 from me). Not to mention that you dont get some FutureShop guy who deals in 1000 different products fixing your gear. Also, if you need service you don't have to have the receipt either.

ps. the WAMP1 model is already out.

vinder

TRIBE Member
if you want a PC laptop, seriously don't even consider anything other then an ibm. they are built like a tank and are super slick.

juice

TRIBE Member
Titanium iBook

As for the IBM laptops I had one when I worked for them and they're nice but WAY overpriced.