• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

lansdowne & bloor area

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
I have to completely agree with someone who said it's one good intersection one bad one. One good building, one bad one.

I live on Brandon Ave, which is one north of Dupont and runs between Landsdowne and Dufferin. It's a fantastic street/area. Well kept, generally respectable immigrant homes. The worst it gets is some dink racing his Civic down the street.

Walk out to Dufferin or Landsdowne and the world changes though. It gets crazy out there. However it's a changing fast.

Galleria has been slated for destruction for nearly 2 years (so it should happen shortly). New lofts and condos are going in fast along Landsdowne. Which will slowly force the horrid new Standard Apartments and the old high rises to shape up. It will take time, but there are already nice pockets of artist communities and families. That will only spread as money takes over the major intersections.

Pyeddo

TRIBE Member
Check out Ciro's... North West corner beside the Opticians... Frank is the owner... great guy... huge burgers (your colon will hate you)

Check out Loblaws & Price Chopper near Dundas W. for your groceries...

Up Lansdowne is an amazing carribian place run by 2 brothers... the name escapes me but they make some killer grub with fresh Carlsberg on tap.

Check out "Little Burma" for cheap TTC tokens and Centruy Sams for 1$

And always be sure to get to House of Lang for the nastiest tail in the west end (to be debated)

Cheers

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Pyeddo

TRIBE Member
LMFAO you also have the H.A. clubhouse not far away. It's weird that hole area looks rediculously different in the daytime, but as soon as night falls watch out, shit gets mad weird.

Bloor/Lansdowne has got to be right up there on the scale of worst corners in the city. The best used to be one cracked out woman who always sat out in front of the buddhist temple (I tink that's what it is), across from Value Village. She'd scream at the top of her lungs at nothing. Her lipstick was always from her chin to somewhere on top of her nose and as soon as you'd look in her direction she'd eiher run at you lookin super scary or run away from you looking super scared.

And to whoever lives on Perth, I feel for youi too. My old roomie used to live o the corner house by the alley where that kid died last month (first house facing Perth north of Bloor). The guy that abducted and killed Holy Jones lived directly across the alley. We watched him get arrested and his house searched. Had to provide DNA and statements and all and all that shit. We used to sit out on his back porch and watch hookers, drug dealers, robberies etc etc etc. Not a fun area to live either.

I've lived around this 'hood for almost 8 years, and really there are worse places then Bloor / Lansdowne. Keep your head up, look people in the eye, and they won't fuck with you.

I've been out on bloor @ 3am and had no issues, it's about how you handle yourself.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I agree that there are worse hoods...

eg.. where I grew up severley went down hill... Weston / Lawrence. or Jane/ Lawrence.

they had to take out all the park benches becasue people were just sitting out in the open smoking crack. so much crappy stuff happend to me there, (stalking, robbery, being harrased.. etc)

peko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by videotronic
anyone live around here? how's the hood? any restaurants? bars? laundry? sketch factor?

thanks in advance

lots of areas are hit or miss, duck, duck, goose in sketch factor, but I got a SUPER SKETCHY feeling when we looked at a new building on that corner.

There was a cracky donut shop, a dollar store and we could see the top of "The Brick" from the 'loft' building.

As far as laundry, you can find cute little ensuite stackables in most places.

yo' videotronic, check your pm's.

peko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Big League Chu
I bought a house at bloor and dundas this summer about 3 blocks north and just WEST of Dundas. The neighbourhood is sick... but don't cross Dundas eastward... its like all of a sudden the flowers stop growing and its dark on that side.

what are the perimeter of the Junction? I get that confused with High Park, but LOVE both 'hoods!

alma

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Pyeddo
Check out Ciro's... North West corner beside the Opticians... Frank is the owner... great guy... huge burgers (your colon will hate you)
I was always curious about Ciro's. Say no more--I'll pay a visit.

Originally posted by Pyeddo
Up Lansdowne is an amazing carribian place run by 2 brothers... the name escapes me but they make some killer grub with fresh Carlsberg on tap.
I think this is the one:

Soul Food Restaurant
582 Lansdowne
tel 647 438 9730

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: lansdowne & bloor area

Originally posted by peko
lots of areas are hit or miss, duck, duck, goose in sketch factor, but I got a SUPER SKETCHY feeling when we looked at a new building on that corner.

There was a cracky donut shop, a dollar store and we could see the top of "The Brick" from the 'loft' building.

The new red brick "lofts" on the SE corner? If so, I have to agree with you. A nobel effort when compared to the Standard Lofts (which are complete rental crap). But still, a very mediocre condo building. Hardly lofts, and certainly overpriced given the state of the area at the moment. It will be a few more years before that development hits it's stride and they hopefully make some more global changes to the corner.

Definitely not units I'd be interested in even if my bet was that the area will grow up.

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
only a few years ago, I was >this< close to renting out an apartment in those creepy, creepy highrises at Lansdowne & Dupont... $550 /mo for a bachelor would have been nice, but in hindsight, I was never so happy to see a rental deal fall through.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Yeah those dupont and lansdowne units suck ass... you look out the window and depression is staring you right in the face... it also didn't help it was all gray outside to add to the sketchy factor. I would stay away from the Lansdown area IMO. Look in the Junction or High Park, Ronnce and some parts of Parkdale. I like to move on top of stores... you can blast your music that way, and not worry about the guy on the bottom.

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by peko
what are the perimeter of the Junction? I get that confused with High Park, but LOVE both 'hoods!

I'm in high park, glenlake and indian road. I think the junction begins at dupont and dundas west.

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
heh, according to toronto life's 'new hot neighbourhoods' article a couple issues back, the junction extends all the way to symington...

(which means yeah, i qualify!)

basilisk

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by acheron
The latest thing to come down is that the Galleria is going to be raized and replaced with a new development that will be much nicer.

lt-fuckyeah.gif

Originally posted by Cheap Ego
there should be a High Park/Ronces drinks night!

(people from Landsowne can come too :p)

Not a bad idea... Whelan's anyone?

Pyeddo

TRIBE Member
Soul Food Restaurant

Thank you!

only a few years ago, I was >this< close to renting out an apartment in those creepy, creepy highrises at Lansdowne & Dupont... $550 /mo for a bachelor would have been nice, but in hindsight, I was never so happy to see a rental deal fall through.

Good call not renting the place... that would be the building that has daily raids on the squatters... I believe 2 1/2 months ago that was the building where the police searched an empty apt. to find 2 crackheads 'basing.... one did not resist, the other jumped out the window... and down 8 stories to the hard cement below.

Other places of mention in the area... "Grow It All" is near Dupont & Dufferin... for all your green thumbs

O nasso Talho... yea it's closer to dovercourt but it's a great butcher... you can't really knock buying 5 pd's of fresh chicken breats and getting another 5 pds free. (no, it wasn't rancid)

And lastly, never go to Dufferin Mall on a weekend. You've been warned. That day is reserved for Portugese family outings/sightseeing.

Bean

TRIBE Member
I lived at Dupont / Lansdowne for a while (new buildings, SW corner) and wouldn't move back to the area. While I never had any problems in the area (walked to the subway at night by myself on occasion), I didn't find the area all that friendly or conducive to fitting my ideal concept of a neighbourhood.

The apartment towers on the NE corner are pure SKETCH: squatters, drug abuse, prostitution, and (daily) police takedowns.

The galleria mall, while convenient (close; LCBO; pharmacy; grocery store; bank) isn't particularly nice.

Dufferin Mall has a few hidden gems, though avoidance on weekends is a must.

Peace,

Sabina

Stan

TRIBE Member
God I hope this deal goes through. I can't wait to move out of fucking Scarborough. Then maybe I can stop being such a god damn hermit.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheap Ego
I was thinking the same place!

Only recently had I found out about that cozy little back room.

yeah Whelans is allright and so is the local....i'd be down.

peko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Big League Chu
I'm in high park, glenlake and indian road. I think the junction begins at dupont and dundas west.

you live in an awesome 'hood. We looked at a place on Indian Road - loved the super circle road.