• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Landmark Education

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Agent Smith said:
Ya, but you're getting yourself into a world of trouble if you ignore the obvious link.
They're not ignoring the link, but they're also not looking for environmental causes of happiness. They are first looking for a way to measure it!

Agent Smith said:
there is no true empirical way of measuring relative values of such a subjective variable.
Yet... that's what the research is trying to accomplish!

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Michlerish said:
They're not ignoring the link, but they're also not looking for environmental causes of happiness. They are first looking for a way to measure it!
That's going to be a lovely tautology.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
PosTMOd said:
That's going to be a lovely tautology.
Looking for a way to operationally define happiness so that it can be measured and studied? You can't really study the link between economic status and happiness until you can be sure that what you're truly measuring is happiness.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Looking for a way to operationally define happiness so that it can be measured and studied? You can't really study the link between economic status and happiness until you can be sure that what you're truly measuring is happiness.
There's a great stastics paper I read a long time ago talking about the problem with this mentality.

Take trying to measure love for example. What do you pick as your explanatory variables? Physical attraction? Laughter? Self-perceived commitment to another person?

Married dude gets 3 boners looking at another woman. Does that mean he loves her more than his wife? He laughs more when talking to a female friend of his. Does that mean he loves her more than his wife?

How do you remove autocorrelation between such interrelated variables?

Good luck with that.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Michlerish said:
It's still going to be a lovely tautology.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
haha.. it was alot harder to find than i thought it would be... I saw them in concert once, they opened at the Concert hall on my 15th Birthday...

Last edited:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
ha. I remember slow dancing to "there you go" with my teenage crush-girl at a show in the Polish hall in oshawa. Probably around the same time period :)

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
Nice job googling that pic what with the lame movie of the same name and all :)

Whenever there's some interesting discussion going on here and I see a response where a user has done nothing more than post a picture of a band, album, or movie poster featuring a stylized version of the word being discussed, I can't help but think of the person who interrupts a fascinating conversation, simply to say "I know a movie called Happiness", followed by an awkward silence and a return to intelligent discussion.

Man I thought I was never gonna be able to end that sentence.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Cheap Ego said:
Whenever there's some interesting discussion going on here and I see a response where a user has done nothing more than post a picture of a band, album, or movie poster featuring a stylized version of the word being discussed, I can't help but think of the person who interrupts a fascinating conversation, simply to say "I know a movie called Happiness", followed by an awkward silence and a return to intelligent discussion.

Man I thought I was never gonna be able to end that sentence.
ignore button or get over it!

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Reminds me a little of Stockholm Syndrome, with a twist: you pay for it (makes it more likely that you'll stick with it), and there is a pretense that you can voluntarily leave at any time (but you forfeit your money and any 'benefits').

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
ignore button or get over it!
Why would I want to ignore something I find so amusing?

i'd hardly call anything posted on tribe fascinating conversation...
Maybe I'm easily amused but I find plenty of interesting (ok, maybe not so much fascinating, but that still happens occasionally) stuff on here.

REASON

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
Reminds me a little of Stockholm Syndrome, with a twist: you pay for it (makes it more likely that you'll stick with it), and there is a pretense that you can voluntarily leave at any time (but you forfeit your money and any 'benefits').
Yeah, kinda like university courses.

fear_of_fours said:
this shit is a fucking cult STAY AWAY FROM THIS.
Cribby said:
Oh god. STAY AWAY!!! I almost completely lost my best friend because of this bullshit... she was brainwashed and became a totally different person (not for the better.)
You guys are a bunch of frightened, paranoid sissies. I’ve taken several Landmark courses and learned a lot about myself and how the human mind works. They didn’t demand all my money, they didn’t brainwash me, there was no Coolaid to drink. Unlike a cult, when the classes end, you’re free to go home and never come back. Yeah, they can get a bit annoying when they call you but if you tell them to leave you alone they will. The material in the courses is excellent but a little open-mindedness and courage is required if you want to learn something.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
REASON said:

You guys are a bunch of frightened, paranoid sissies. I’ve taken several Landmark courses and learned a lot about myself and how the human mind works. They didn’t demand all my money, they didn’t brainwash me, there was no Coolaid to drink. Unlike a cult, when the classes end, you’re free to go home and never come back. Yeah, they can get a bit annoying when they call you but if you tell them to leave you alone they will. The material in the courses is excellent but a little open-mindedness and courage is required if you want to learn something.
Lord.. Take it to the noob thread.. ugh :rolleyes:

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Agent Smith said:
There's a great stastics paper I read a long time ago talking about the problem with this mentality.

Take trying to measure love for example. What do you pick as your explanatory variables? Physical attraction? Laughter? Self-perceived commitment to another person?

Married dude gets 3 boners looking at another woman. Does that mean he loves her more than his wife? He laughs more when talking to a female friend of his. Does that mean he loves her more than his wife?

How do you remove autocorrelation between such interrelated variables?

Good luck with that.
Agree with AS.. How can one measure Happiness?..

Take his 'love' example (Good choice). If it is true that eating chocolate gives one the feeling of being in love, then what is one measuring?? The feeling of love? or the endorphins created that makes one feel as if they are in love... The causal nature (ie: environmental causes included) cannot be ignored. If so, is the person truly 'in love'? (or happy, as it pertains to this thread..)

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Hey REASON! Send me $5000 and I will send you a pamphlet that describes the secret to eternal happiness!

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
NemIsis said:
Agree with AS.. How can one measure Happiness?..

Take his 'love' example (Good choice). If it is true that eating chocolate gives one the feeling of being in love, then what is one measuring?? The feeling of love? or the endorphins created that makes one feel as if they are in love... The causal nature (ie: environmental causes included) cannot be ignored. If so, is the person truly 'in love'? (or happy, as it pertains to this thread..)
THAT'S WHY THE RESEARCH IS BEING DONE.
I was saying the research is being done to try and define and figure out how to measure Happiness. There's also research being done on how to define and measure Love.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
REASON said:

Are you the creepy guy that stalked me?

If you've taken "several" courses, I think you've wasted a whole bunch of money.

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
REASON said:
the course cost hundreds of dollars, which my boss told me i could BORROW from her and then pay back. this while making $13 an hour.

you have to get people to sign up for the fourm, to move on to higher levels (leader, whatever?)

they have their own little language which is common of cults. "you are really speaking to my listening"

if they get your number from the "Graduation" night, they do NOT stop calling you.