• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Landlords

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know how you go about reporting a landlord?

My landlord is super cool but also super lazy. There are squirrels living in the roof and walls of our house. We've been trying endlessly to get him to do something about it. He tried once and they just came back. The damn animals are up all night running around and fighting in the walls and ceilings. Neither my roommate or I can get any sleep at night.

Who would you go to in order to report your landlord for not taking effective action in pest control?

I feel really bad having to report him since he is such a nice guy but enough is enough.

jeremy -anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?- jive

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
beer.jpg

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeremy
The damn animals are up all night running around and fighting in the walls and ceilings.

I don't know if I'd complain about that. Sounds pretty fun.

You can each pick your favorites and place bets, and it'll be just like streetfighter 2, but with squirrels.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal
To contact a Customer Service Representative, you may:

Call the Tribunal’s toll-free telephone information service at 416-645-8080 from within Toronto calling area or 1-888-332-3234 from outside Toronto. Representatives are available Monday to Friday, except holidays, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Be prepared for the way they get rid of the squirrels, it might not be pretty.

Check out the city of Toronto web site for information on city pests and how to deal with them. I don't have the link handy, but they do have pretty comprehensive stuff- specifically on squirrels and racoons which can be quite persistent. If you give him all the information up front, you'll probably see quicker results.

Personally, I wouldn't be an ass about it and I'd do as much as possible myself first. One day you'll need a favour from your landlord and he'll remember how this incident was handled.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
Personally, I wouldn't be an ass about it and I'd do as much as possible myself first. One day you'll need a favour from your landlord and he'll remember how this incident was handled.
This has been going on since November. I get woken up at least once a night if not four times and sometimes for hours at a time.

I've honestly tried everything. I even offered to cover up the whole myself if he could find me a ladder high enough.

I leave messages, I get no response. When I get him on the phone he pormises to do something and call me back, then I get nothing.

Right now I really only have to choices, either report it in order to get some action done, or move out. Frankly I just moved in and don't want to have to spend the money on moving yet again. I love the apartment and the neighborhood.

jeremy -needs sleep- jive

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Meh... dude you've got it easy... here's a list of shit currently wrong with my place:

- roof leaks in several spots
- roof is not insulated
- leaking roof has damaged hardwood floor tiles in several spots
- fridge leaks
- kitchen counter tiles are chipped and broken
- no backsplash on kitchen counter
- bathroom light/fan is always on, no way to turn off
- electrical wiring is sketchy at best
- last week we had partial power several days
- our hot water tank has gone three times this winter
- pilot light on furnace goes out constantly
- last weekend we had a natural gas leak on the first floor, building had to be evacuated, four trucks showed up to the building

That's just the most serious shit, there's more but compared to that it just seems petty...!

BUT, it's super cheap here, and the place is fuckin' huge so i guess it's a trade off.

living ghetto-fab...

...le kidski

oh - when we had problems with squirrels once they just set traps for them and drove them out somewhere to let them go freeeeeeeee. don't know that would work in your case though.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeremy

I've honestly tried everything. I even offered to cover up the whole myself if he could find me a ladder high enough.

I've got a ladder I can bring over. Are you in Toronto? How high is your place?

In the meantime, I've had my share of noisy places. You can get some foam earplugs from any drug store that will help a lot if you don't find them uncomfortable to wear. That's a short term solution of course, but it will help you get some sleep anyhow. Look for the ones that have the highest number- that's the Decibel reduction rating.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
My old house had squirrels, or possible racoons. The things were friggin loud.! Drove my cat crzy! Banging on the wall helped a little, but not much.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
You can get some foam earplugs from any drug store that will help a lot if you don't find them uncomfortable to wear.

I love earplugs.. the only problem with them tho is that I sleep through my alarm with them in, so I use them only on the weekends.