• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

lakeshore boulevard

kuba

TRIBE Member
I have a question.

1. Why the hell does the Lakeshore blvd have a maximum speed of 60 per?

2. Have there ever been successful speed limit changes in Ontario?

I drive down lakeshore all the time and its SO not a 60 zone.

Just wondering. Maybe evil-d can help?

finary

TRIBE Promoter
you think lakeshore is bad...

how about that strip on Eglinton between Don Mills and Leslie???

It's wider and better than the DVP for christ's sake!

And the fucking pigs steak it out with a speed trap and ALWAYS have at least 2-3 cars pulled over writing them tickets.

I think it's a cash grab.

1) make a road look like a highway so people drive on it like a highway

2) post a hard to notice sign that says: Maximum 60kmh that is so close to the intersection you're paying attention to turning, other traffic, pedestrians crossing the crosswalk, etc.. By the time you can afford to glance around at the side of the road you are already past the 60 sign.

3) set up radar trap

4) cash in!

/f

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
It's the case of comfortable driving speed vs. posted driving speed. Sometimes there are variences that are police enforced, i.e. speed traps. Not much to do but be careful and try to obey the posted limit (though I know this can be very tough on some roads if you are not consciously doing it.)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

finary

TRIBE Promoter
Just to give the "law" the benefit of the doubt, i went back to Eglington / Don Mills and tried to go 60km/h

I almost caused an accident.
Someone almost rear-ended me, cars were honking, and one dude gave me the finger.

Why the fuck don't they change it? It should clearly be an 80km/h zone.

Everyone drives at least 90.

/f

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Speed traps on Lakeshore are normally right when coming off the Gardiner, the cop sits right at the first light where there is that parking.

And also

Top of the hill right before Jameson. At that Bell station.

And for going westbound. At the Ex, the second parking entrance where there is a light.

Often they have 3 cops stationed. so they can flag down many cars at once.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary
Just to give the "law" the benefit of the doubt, i went back to Eglington / Don Mills and tried to go 60km/h

I almost caused an accident.
Someone almost rear-ended me, cars were honking, and one dude gave me the finger.

Why the fuck don't they change it? It should clearly be an 80km/h zone.

/f
Because.

And the fucking pigs steak it out with a speed trap and ALWAYS have at least 2-3 cars pulled over writing them tickets.

I think it's a cash grab.
3) set up radar trap
4) cash in!

/f

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
It should clearly be an 80km/h zone.
I know exactly where you are talking about, and yes, that area is definetly not a 60 km/h zone. Although I think that it may have soemthing to do with the Science Centre being nearby. Maybe cuz lots of kids are potentially in the area? I ono. But the road could easily handle traffic at 80 km/h+.

Cheers ... Ian :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
Barrie is 50km on almost Every road...every road thats not 40km that is.
The ONLY speeding ticket I ever got was in Barrie...going south on Bayfield, heading up the big hill, where it drops from an 80 zone to a 50 zone...so in about 200 feet ya gotta drop 30km/h...pure b.s.

echootje

TRIBE Member
If I find it I'll post a very interesting article sent to EYE by a Toronto traffic planner. The gist is that speed traps are actually made by the communities who ask for zone changes (because they think they know better)

Rob

kuba

TRIBE Member
Thats fucked, cuz there is NO COMMUNITY on lakeshore, especially between the ex and ontario place. Thats a driver's haven til you see two fat pigs with those big black radars. Fucking pigs. :p

Finary I know all too well about that stretch on eglinton, used to live in flemo and drove it all the time. Leslie north of eg is also a speed trap galore*

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip

1. Why the hell does the Lakeshore blvd have a maximum speed of 60 per?
See, I think that the majority of the Lakeshore in between the Humber and Bathurst warrants 60/h, even though the majority of people do 70 or higher...maybe if there were medians, especially around the sharp turns.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MC Bias
The ONLY speeding ticket I ever got was in Barrie...going south on Bayfield, heading up the big hill, where it drops from an 80 zone to a 50 zone...so in about 200 feet ya gotta drop 30km/h...pure b.s.
Pfft this place Fucking BLOWS. I had a clean record until i moved here 3 tickets in 2 months! For going like 14 over, just missing the points thing. not ONCE do they mark it down either, but you can pay the cops 250$ to right a test of like 10 questions and if you pass the throw the ticket out. :mad:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: lakeshore boulevard

Originally posted by MC Bias
See, I think that the majority of the Lakeshore in between the Humber and Bathurst warrants 60/h, even though the majority of people do 70 or higher...maybe if there were medians, especially around the sharp turns.
Why do you think that?

There are three lanes, there are NO sharp turns, and its painful to try and drive below 80.

Unless youre a grandmother.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
Pfft this place Fucking BLOWS. I had a clean record until i moved here 3 tickets in 2 months! For going like 14 over, just missing the points thing. not ONCE do they mark it down either, but you can pay the cops 250$ to right a test of like 10 questions and if you pass the throw the ticket out. :mad:
Small communities (yes Barrie) don't have the luxury of large property taxes to fill the coffers. Hence the almost frenzied speed trapping as you pass through East Gwillimbury, Brockway, Aubdinville, and North Haverbrooke etc...

;)

Rob

sk8

TRIBE Member
i want to know why joggers feel that they can run across the lakeshore wherever.

i was making a left hand turn onto the lakeshore from colborne lodge dr. and these two joggers are running across - i almost ran into them.

luckily i was turning so i was going slow and they stopped, but i they were close enough to the hood to bang it.

but if there is no crosswalk that's not my fault right?

so maybe the speed limit is so you don't hit joggers too hard?

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sk8
i want to know why joggers feel that they can run across the lakeshore wherever.

i was making a left hand turn onto the lakeshore from colborne lodge dr. and these two joggers are running across - i almost ran into them.

luckily i was turning so i was going slow and they stopped, but i they were close enough to the hood to bang it.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sk8

Lately I say FUCK pedestrians who act like idiots on the road. (Yes, on the roads).

I jaywalk and stuff, but Im not oblivious to drivers. I know that left hand turns are not easy, and I generally run when I see a car making a left.

Most pedestrians think theyre the kings of the road and they can bolt infront of me and stuff, acting like EEEDIOTS.

If I hit someone acting like a monkeyhead, I wont cry.

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by qtip
Lately I say FUCK pedestrians who act like idiots on the road. (Yes, on the roads).

I jaywalk and stuff, but Im not oblivious to drivers. I know that left hand turns are not easy, and I generally run when I see a car making a left.

Most pedestrians think theyre the kings of the road and they can bolt infront of me and stuff, acting like EEEDIOTS.

If I hit someone acting like a monkeyhead, I wont cry.
How about the people that jay walk and think they own the road? Taking their sweet as time when they see a car coming even though they are in the wrong. Sometimes I just want to hit them.

*prays for big puddles of water on the road next time this happens*

finary

TRIBE Promoter
try laying on the horn while approaching them
and if that doesnt work get out of your car and yell at them

carrying a baseball bat in the trunk is helpful if you want to look extra-intimidating