• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Ladytron 420 at the Opera House

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
I had a good time considering my friend bailed on me right after the opening band the Precepts (or whatever they were called). We smoked a few joints before entering the Opera House and he felt sick because we mixed too many Corona beers with the pot. I was alright and buzzing and enjoyed Ladytron as best as I could by myself.

I thought the acoustic sound was crisp and clean at the venue, but the sound guy didn't mix the vocals loud enough at the Opera House.

Here's my serious question only because I was so stoned from the pot and drunk from the beers. I was actually quite close to the stage, but maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but was Ladytron lip-syncing the whole night long???:confused:

What do guys think because I was actually very close to the stage, but I was very impaired because I indulged on 4:20 day. :D LOL

Dialog

TRIBE Member
You know, the thought had crossed my mind once or twice, didn’t manage to get that close to the action. I was too busy being distracted by a loud group of friends who decided to have loud random conversations in the middle of the dancefloor and take lots of pictures of themselves while the band were on. Wankers.

If so it would be unfortunate, considering how much more fun they were this time than the first show three years ago. They actually smiled and interacted with the crowd! I liked how they were playing with the songs to tailor them to a live show, definitely more or a rock edge. It would be unfortunate if Helen’s voice (…seemingly much stronger this time than last…) were the weakest link. I enjoyed myself nonetheless!

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
ian said:
Last time I saw them they were for sure singing live.
Wow, for a totally sold out show more than a month ago...I'm surprised there are not more fan reviews that can tell me I'm wrong and was just so stoned and Ladytron was not lip-synching. Any which way I still had a great time at the concert.

However, fuck that pot was so good I thought it was Ashlee Simpson posing as Cleopatra trying to be the singer for Ladytron.:O

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

oeretS

TRIBE Member
huge meh for this show, the Presets were great (seen them twice now in the past few weeks), but wow Laytron is soo boring. no crowd interaction, in fact they seemed completely indifferent to the whole thing. but i guess that's their schtick?

too bad, i really like their songs but this show was nothing special at all - the DJ set thingy at Gypsy was way better.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
oeretS said:
too bad, i really like their songs but this show was nothing special at all - the DJ set thingy at Gypsy was way better.
I really wish that I caught the DJ tour at Gypsy. At least that way I'd know for sure it wasn't Ladytron lip-synching the whole night long.:eek:LOL

Even though I was impaired, I was in the first 5 rows in front of the stage (so I saw what I saw.) I hate to make this bold conclusion, but I would put money they were lip-synching last night.:( boo

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
oeretS said:
huge meh for this show, the Presets were great (seen them twice now in the past few weeks), but wow Laytron is soo boring. no crowd interaction, in fact they seemed completely indifferent to the whole thing. but i guess that's their schtick?

Agreed... The Presets kick some ass...
Need to pick that disc up soon!

I wish I would have seen Ladytron at Gypsy, because last night they did nothing for me... It was almost like they did not care, at all.

TribeLurkerGrrl

TRIBE Member
Hoping to hear them play at Coachella next weekend....I will definetely check out to see if they are lip synching and report back.

Although with reviews like this, there might be something better to catch at the same time!

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Hahaha, I just thought how awesome it would be if the living member of Milli Vanilli, Ladytron and Ashlee Simpson formed a band called WE LIP:D

Dialog

TRIBE Member
rave jedi said:
Hahaha, I just thought how awesome it would be if the living member of Milli Vanilli, Ladytron and Ashlee Simpson formed a band called WE LIP:D
Don't forget Madonna in there... remember when she actually sang on the MTV Awards in '99 :O

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Dialog said:
Don't forget Madonna in there... remember when she actually sang on the MTV Awards in '99 :O
Yeah, you're absolutely right...I forgot about it, even Elton John took a stab at Madge for lip-synching. Damn, I wish she'd come to Toronto so I can see for myself.:p LOL

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
last time LADYTRON was around, every review was saying how incredibly boring it was.

so when i got asked to see them this time, i declined based on those reviews.

looks like i made the right decision.

just because a band makes a good album, doesn't mean they are goona be worth seeing live. (and for teh record, i must be one of the few that finds the album to be actually kinda cheesy)

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Almost a week old, but it's the old review I actually found on the web about the Ladytron's show at the Opera House on 4:20.

http://www.chartattack.com/DAMN/2006/04/2101.cfm

LIVE: Ladytron Get With The Times
Friday April 21, 2006 @ 12:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

April 20, 2006
Opera House
Toronto, ON
by Noah Love

Ladytron are perhaps the most misunderstood band of this generation. Their debut, 604, is one of the few tolerable electroclash records, but the band never wanted to be identified by that label. Follow-up Light + Magic came out just as the hipsters turned on Peaches and Fischerspooner, and the band spent most of that year trying to deny they sounded anything like the electroclash brethren. And, truly, they didn't. The last half of their sophomore disc sounds like a Breeders album with synth. That's where Ladytron's story was supposed to end, but they defied their detractors by making a record that maintains their disconnected vibe and takes their instrumentation to soaring peaks. The Witching Hour is a great record, but is anybody still listening? A sold-out night at the Opera House would suggest they are.

I caught the last half of opening act Presets. The band are two dudes, one who plays drums and the other keyboards. Their music seemed to be well-received by the kids near the stage, but everyone else seemed a little less than interested in the band's Joy Division-on-mescaline stylings.

After an extended break, Ladytron's four members, as well as a touring drummer and bassist, hit the stage dressed all in black. Witching Hour opener "High Rise" announced a night rife with tracks from the new disc, and the band's new, fuller sound was also one of the set's themes.

In an obvious yet heavily effective effort to distance themselves from their formerly sparse keyboard and drum machine beginnings, every track from 604 (including classics "He Took Her To A Movie" and "Playgirl") and Light + Magic ("Blue Jeans," "Cracked LCD" and set closer "Seventeen") was given a huge instrumental kick. "Cracked LCD" in particular sounded more like a real song than it ever has. The live drumming gave all of the songs a more tangible sense of urgency.

Helen Marnie and Mira Aroyo remained cool as ice throughout, delivering no-wave vocals over no less than seven synthesizers (I kept thinking Ladytron should be called Kings Of Korg). Aroyo's sing-speak is a little more irritating live than it is on disc because it's oddly forced, but her take on Witching Hour's "amTV" proved she's better than that and should continue with actual singing in the future.

Ladytron succeed and will continue to succeed because they're always a half-step ahead of the game. They consistently define what's trendy in both music and fashion, and while it might date their CD covers, it makes every note they play relevant and compelling — at least for this moment.