• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Lady returns $$ to McDonalds..

twitch

TRIBE Member
I just saw this report on the news of a lady that went to a McDonalds drive through. When she picked up her food and drove away, she noticed it was heavier then the ussual bag of crap and greese.
When she finally checked it it was loaded with CASH! (heavier then a meal)
It seems one of the workers put the bank deposit in a brown McDs bag and placed it neat the drive-thru window and it was mistakenly given to this lady.
AND SHE RETURNED IT! She said she didn't want to cost someone their job, or it was like she was a theif.

For god sakes! I wouldn't have given it back, when they hand it to you it's not stealing, I mean I do have morals but screw 'em, it's a huge crappy corporation.
And like the kid's life would have been ruined if he lost his McDonalds job.. yeah right, she would have been doing him a favour.

So would anyone here have been a good smaritan and returned it aswell?

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by twitch
So would anyone here have been a good smaritan and returned it aswell?
Honestly, I would have given it back. For many reasons. But mostly, it would be constantly on my mind knowing that someone else may be have negative consequences due to the situation that I am able to set straight.

Even if it is an accident, you are still essentially stealing money from someone, since you know that it doesn't belong to you.

For example, one time, I bought a set of winter tires, and instead of charging me $1,200 for them, I was given a refund on my credit card of $1,200. The guy hit the wrong button. I got my statement the next month and when I noticed the mistake, I called the company up and let them know what had happened.

I did that because I am not really losing out by being honest and reporting the mistake (I still got my tires), but I know that the company will miss the $1,200 that they accidentally refunded to me, plus the $1,200 worth of tires that they essentially gave to me.

Cheers ... Ian :)

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
yeah one time i ordered like $80 worth of wine with dinner

they didn't put it on the tab

when she came over, she was so frazzled working a section by herself i let her know and she fixed the bill and i paid for it

but i've gone and done it the other way when i was younger, karma is a bitch, trust

better to be the good person about it

'G

Rocky

TRIBE Member
...She said she didn't want to cost someone their job, or it was like she was a theif.

For god sakes! I wouldn't have given it back, when they hand it to you it's not stealing, I mean I do have morals but screw 'em, it's a huge crappy corporation.
Yeah...it's not like it's a real job. It's a McJob.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

PolishPrincess

TRIBE Member
That's crazy.....I would have given it back....but im sure it would be a hard choice to make at the time..

Easy money...or mc d's meal?!?! hmmm

tella

TRIBE Member
i would have returned it for sure! just like everyone else said..karma is a bitch and one day you may be the one that fucks up and loses a large amount of cash..wouldn't you want it to be returned to you?

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
i know this sounds bad, but...

to me, it would have depended how much money was in the bag.

if it was like $100, sure, i'd give it back no problem. but if it was like $1000... man, i could think of so many things i could do with an extra grand. especially around christmas...

Xtatic

TRIBE Member
By returning the money, the supervisor at that point realizes what had happened and probably fired the kid for making the mistake anyway. Either way, the kid was getting fired. I would've kept the money. I need the money more than McDonald's does.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I'd return it.

One time there was a girl in front of me at the bank machine and she left her card in it, with it open to her account!!!

I closed it and gave the card back.

derek

TRIBE Member
i definetly would of though to keeping it...then my conscience would kick in and i'd return it.

the kid who put the cash on the counter like that should loss their job regardless.

peace,

derek

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Xtatic
By returning the money, the supervisor at that point realizes what had happened and probably fired the kid for making the mistake anyway. Either way, the kid was getting fired. I would've kept the money. I need the money more than McDonald's does.

exactly

Keep the money

Buy yourself something nice

The kid thatfuct up is getting tossed one way or the other.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
I wouldn't be able to live with it on my conciounce (sp)

I would consider it an eye for an eye for all of those burgers that have made me either

a) sick to my pants
b) sick to my stomach

I am sure everybody in this thread has had bad McDicks once or twenty times in their life.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dirtymatt

TRIBE Member
But had it been a local Toronto company would your attitude have changed? Just because they are a big multinational should stealing be condoned? In England they performed an experiment on TV to test peoples conscience. When they purchased a good from a store they were given more change they they should have had- about $10-$20 dollars worth. They tried this in local shops and large global corporations- and found that people were more likely to return the money to the local shops. Should this change in attitude and response really occur?

Robb G

TRIBE Promoter
And like the kid's life would have been ruined if he lost his McDonalds job.. yeah right, she would have been doing him a favour.
Yes McDonalds is a big, faceless, money hungry multi-national that wouldn't have missed the bag of money for one minute but the lady who returned it said she didn't want to cost someone their job.

Lots of Mcworkers are part time high school kids that don't really need the money but there are also lots of people who work at McDonalds in diferent financial and social situations. When I worked at MickyDees in high school there was alot of struggling parents, single moms and others who needed the McDonalds job on the side to make ends meet.

The lady who returned the money was just thinking of the personal impact she might have on someones life, that's all.

I would like to say that I would have given it back but I can't say that would be the case because of my personal experiences with McDonalds. If I would have probably kept it and given half of it to charity.

Robb

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dirtymatt
But had it been a local Toronto company would your attitude have changed? Just because they are a big multinational should stealing be condoned? In England they performed an experiment on TV to test peoples conscience. When they purchased a good from a store they were given more change they they should have had- about $10-$20 dollars worth. They tried this in local shops and large global corporations- and found that people were more likely to return the money to the local shops. Should this change in attitude and response really occur?

Yes of course

Local shops are working on a tighter profit margin, they are making a living, just like the guy that got back more change than he should have. They are playing the same game, they have similiar income levels.

Corporations, well, read the business section of the Toronto Star.
How much money does Mcdonalds make annually?
Should a person feel bad about ripping off a corporation?
No

Stealing isn't as bad if it is done Robin Hood style.
I see nothing wrong with that.