• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

labour laws

nadine

TRIBE Promoter
I haven't posted in awhile, but I find myself in need of some good advice. I work part time in a restaurant and a lot of cutlery has been going missing. My employer have decided that it is unacceptable and are making all servers do a "garbage dig" each shift. Is it legal to make a server dig through garbage? They give us a pair of plastic gloves and 9 bags of garbage. I've tried to look on a few websites, but I haven't had much luck. Any insights????:confused:

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
That's fucking hilarious.
Which restaurant?

The labour board wouldn't really cover this, but WSIB would ensure that you're provided with the appropriate safety equipment to perform your job.

Job = digging through scraps of food and napkins
Safety equipment = rubber gloves.

nadine

TRIBE Promoter
daddyiwantchocolate said:
That's fucking hilarious.
Which restaurant?

The labour board wouldn't really cover this, but WSIB would ensure that you're provided with the appropriate safety equipment to perform your job.

Job = digging through scraps of food and napkins
Safety equipment = rubber gloves.

Lonestar...I thought it was ridiculous also. Not that there's anything wrong if this duty is in your job description, but this seems a bit strange? I assumed that it was a hazard to dig through garbage (possibly containing knives, broken glass etc.) equipped with a pair of plastic gloves.

Yeah, that's really stupid.
Theoretically they should be providing you with safety goggles, protective clothing (like one of those thin paper jumpsuit thingies), and for sure reinforced gloves.

You should call WSIB or whatever the fuck it calls itself these days and check it out with them.
If you were FT perm, you might have some sort of argument a la labour board, but even then it would be a stretch.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
that's pretty messed up.
maybe someone is stealing the friggen cutlery?

i know that when i was working in a restaurant a few years ago, the dishwasher was stealing peoples clothes.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

nadine

TRIBE Promoter
A lot of things have been stolen there in the past. Staff stealing from staff mainly...therefore it didn't bother management as much as the cutlery. Maybe people are stealing it, god knows why it's not like it's worth anything ;)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
garbage duty is always the worst....changing the bag, moving the garbage, whatever its nasty. But in terms of labour law I don't think there is anything you can work with. Maybe you could get it classified as hazardous conditions and claim to be compensated more,.. but I think it more just nasty than hazardous...

nadine

TRIBE Promoter
lucky1 said:
garbage duty is always the worst....changing the bag, moving the garbage, whatever its nasty. But in terms of labour law I don't think there is anything you can work with. Maybe you could get it classified as hazardous conditions and claim to be compensated more,.. but I think it more just nasty than hazardous...

I'll probably just have to grin and bare it :( It sucks, but what the hell.

Yourmamas

TRIBE Member
Hey, you know what I learned last week about servers?

Your employer can take all your tips. So ya, keep sorting the garbage

lucky1

TRIBE Member
nadine said:
I'll probably just have to grin and bare it :( It sucks, but what the hell.

or if you all get together and refuse what can they do fire everyone?

hmm union mentallity... might not work for a part time job.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
WSIB is for workplace injuries.

this is a labour issue.
by right they can ask you to dig through garbage bags if they provide the right equipment including the obvious stuff like gloves and proper ventilation in the staging area.

but they are hoping to find cutlery. theres a good chance you could injure yourself if you find a knife.

sadly by the time the MOL gets involved in this and does anything you will have either quit or alread cut yourself. but you reserve the right at all times to refuse work you feel is unsafe and this seems like a perfectly legitimate reason.

besides, why the fuck would you work (part time) no less for an employer that does this sort of bullshit, there are tons of restaurants in the city that can offer you better. get a better job.:D

email me if you want any more info,

jeff_borsato@wsib.on.ca

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
if this continues...
get a new job.

employers making employees dig thru the end of night garbage is COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
don't they have those big magnet thingys that go around the garbage can and have all the silverware stick to it?

that would be a much better solution than paying people to dig through the shit...................

bryanwayne

TRIBE Member
there are magnetic strips that the top of the garbage cans can be lined
with which will prevent cutlery from falling into the garbage. provided this
restaurant is not using a very very cheap brand of cutlery this will work.

also this is what dishwashers are for.

wait staff are supposed to toss things in the garbage and stand around laughing about it while the dishwashers dig through the garbage.....it's
common restaurant knowledge.

no governmet agency is going to save you on this one though. I suggest trying to rally your co-workers into being a little more thoughtful and a
little less lazy.

good luck, bh

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
bryanwayne said:
there are magnetic strips that the top of the garbage cans can be lined
with which will prevent cutlery from falling into the garbage. provided this
restaurant is not using a very very cheap brand of cutlery this will work.

also this is what dishwashers are for.

wait staff are supposed to toss things in the garbage and stand around laughing about it while the dishwashers dig through the garbage.....it's
common restaurant knowledge.

no governmet agency is going to save you on this one though. I suggest trying to rally your co-workers into being a little more thoughtful and a
little less lazy.

good luck, bh

As a former dishwasher I have to agree to everything said in this post.

Along with the stop bitching. Your being a pussy get over it.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
daddyiwantchocolate said:
Shit, I meant to type ESL instead of Labour up there. Brain = fried.
That being said, The Occupational Health and Safety Act is best reinforced by anyone but the Labour Board. Try the CCOHS before you try anything.

Uh oh.

he he, you are right about the labour board.

the occ. health and saftey act wont say much beyond the need for protective equipment.

the person asking thequestion is more objecting to the work because she feels its not part of her job description and it is demeaning. its like them asking you to clean toilets, its disgusgting but its not inhumane or against the law to make people do it.

good luck and find a better job,