• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Labatt's Freeday

elgsixnine

TRIBE Member
I don't know if this topic has been covered, but since it's something that distresses me greatly I thought I would ask the opinion of fellow Tribers.

We have no June holiday and so Labatt's started a petition to add a national holiday in June.

However, Labatt's is no longer Canadian, so this disturbs me that our Government is actually considering adding a holiday in June.

And to answer any questions about Labatt's being Canadian or not:

Unlike Molson, Labatt's ownership is not Canadian. Labatt USA, Labatt's Connecticut-based American import company, imports Labatt's brands (along with a number of European brands) and also owns Latrobe Brewing, of Rolling Rock fame. A third of Labatt USA is owned by CCM (Cereveceria-Cuauhtemoc
Moctezuma), the Mexican brewer of Dos Equis, of which one-third is owned by Belgian giant Interbrew, which in turn owns 100% of Labatt Canada. By the way, Labatt is also brewing Lowenbrau and Carlsberg under license for the US and Canadian markets.

Does anyone else find a problem with selling out to corporations in this manner or am I the only one?

Skipper

TRIBE Member
QueenofSwords works at Labatt.

They don't get the day off - ironic eh?

I'd be petitioning all over that if I were her! :p

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
So those dirty Belgians want us to have another vacation do they!

DAMN THOSE BELGIANS! DAMN THEM!!

It must all be part of some insiduous plot to take over Canada for their own diabolical, and Belgian, goals.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

QueenOfSwords

TRIBE Member
I don't know if this topic has been covered, but since it's something that distresses me greatly I thought I would ask the opinion of fellow Tribers.

We have no June holiday and so Labatt's started a petition to add a national holiday in June.

However, Labatt's is no longer Canadian, so this disturbs me that our Government is actually considering adding a holiday in June.

And to answer any questions about Labatt's being Canadian or not:

Unlike Molson, Labatt's ownership is not Canadian. Labatt USA, Labatt's Connecticut-based American import company, imports Labatt's brands (along with a number of European brands) and also owns Latrobe Brewing, of Rolling Rock fame. A third of Labatt USA is owned by CCM (Cereveceria-Cuauhtemoc
Moctezuma), the Mexican brewer of Dos Equis, of which one-third is owned by Belgian giant Interbrew, which in turn owns 100% of Labatt Canada. By the way, Labatt is also brewing Lowenbrau and Carlsberg under license for the US and Canadian markets.

Does anyone else find a problem with selling out to corporations in this manner or am I the only one?
I'm a little confused as to why this troubles you so much.

While it is true that Labatt was purchased by Interbrew, I don't believe that makes the company any less a part of CANADA. Since it's purchase by Interbrew, Labatt has continued to function as a Canadian company, employing Canadians, and brewing it's products in Canada.

The fact that Labatt has a USA chapter should make you PROUD. Labatt is pushing its brand out to the United Stated, where they are only gaining in popularity, and taking market share from previously established US brands...which increased cash flow and expansion to brewing in CANADA. Hrm...

While I have to admit that the marketing campaign for FreeYourTime is another marketing ploy, it's not based in the sinister desire to have people sell out to non-Canadian corporations. It's all in the spirit of having fun, taking a break, and drinking a beer. It was born of Canadian marketing employees in their Canadian offices for the purpose of selling Canadian made beer to Canadians. So I don't really see your point. Being purchased by a Belgian company doesn't change the composition or the heritage of the people who make the company work.

That being said, Labatt did NOT give me the day off. Go figure. :(

Beth

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by QueenOfSwords
LOL

There are NO Belgians at Labatt...I repeat...NO Belgians...

B.
Yea right!!! That is what they want us to believe!! This thread wreaks of waffles....BELGIAN WAFFLES THAT IS!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

catilyst

TRIBE Member
This sounds more like a smart marketing plan more than anything else.

It gives them something to talk about, gets people talking about them, I'm sure news papers like the Sun (News for Dummies) would love to report them talking about it in parliment, etc.

or whatever,I'm not an expert, but all I know is they aren't doing it so you get another day off, it's all about the moneys.

Of course if they do get another day off (which they won't) that does meen another long weekend for their sales to soar.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
LOL

There are NO Belgians at Labatt...I repeat...NO Belgians...

B.
Well that may be true, there is definitely a Canadian at Interbrew. Last time I checked, the CEO of Interbrew is the former CEO of Labatt Canada. Forget his name.

FYI: Ernie Eves already said no to the idea

Vote Quimby!!

HMP

TRIBE Member

I'm a little confused as to why this troubles you so much.

While it is true that Labatt was purchased by Interbrew, I don't believe that makes the company any less a part of CANADA. Since it's purchase by Interbrew, Labatt has continued to function as a Canadian company, employing Canadians, and brewing it's products in Canada.

if it was bought by an american company, we can assume that 1)profuts go back to the US parent company 2)all decision-making is done in the US 3)and policies and top management will reflect values of US parent company. I'd say that makes Labatt a lot less part of Canada.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by HMP

if it was bought by an american company, we can assume that 1)profuts go back to the US parent company 2)all decision-making is done in the US 3)and policies and top management will reflect values of US parent company. I'd say that makes Labatt a lot less part of Canada.
Interbrew is a BELGIAN company...not American.