• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

L. O. F'in L. at the scribbly Ben Chin banner!

acheron

TRIBE Member
Totally agree.

I just hope he doesn't win... He's an ass. Don't care for the PCs either and it would be nice to see a greenie win but it's not likely.
 

praktik

TRIBE Member
I hope so too. Besides, Tabuns knocked on my door and Mr. Chin hasnt. That PC chick has to do better than hope John Tory rubs off on her, cause that's one dude's stink I don't want on the winning candidate here...

I dont think I trust a dude who's job it was to read off a telemprompter like a puppet, maybe Newsroom killed me for anchormen but I wonder if they're just good at being parrots. Maybe that's good if you wanna be a party hack, just memorize your lines and dont stray off script.

And ya, those posters with the scribblin on em are funny if you're talkin about the ones right in front of Pape elementary...:)
 

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
would be nice to see a greenie win but it's not likely.
dude WHAT are you TALKING about? have you ever strolled through that neck of the woods. apparently not lately.

anyways - that banner sounds like shit to me. why would someone who has lived in the area for almost 20 years want to piss everyone off including himself? take a look at what the dippers actually do, and not what they say.
 

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Sal De Ban said:
why would someone who has lived in the area for almost 20 years want to piss everyone off including himself? take a look at what the dippers actually do, and not what they say.
1. $$$$$$$$$$$
2. power
3. all of the above
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
God damn this is one of my favorite areas to cycle.


Christ Ben don't be an assface on this one. Natural Gas is decreasing in supply and increasing in demand as we utilize more tar sands to create oil. Natural gas is increasing in price and a Natural Gas power plant is going to hurt consumers.

Think for a second when this plant will be in the highest usage. Dog days of summer when pollution is worst and electricity demand is highest. More pollution during the hottest smog filled days of summer.


So Ben Chin, whenever I think of pollution in Toronto I will think of you.
 

octo

TRIBE Member
in berlin they turn power plants into clubs

in toronto we turn them into bigger power plants

so much for waterfront revitalization

speaking of energy. in sweden they burn their garbage. not only do they get electricity, they get heat for surrounding houses/buildings.

we have an energy shortage and a garbage problem. two birds. one stone.

lol @ banner add. it worked. i clicked
 

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
anyhow, that's not his plan. do a bit of research if you really care. you'll find yourself not voting ndp either.
 

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
octo said:
speaking of energy. in sweden they burn their garbage. not only do they get electricity, they get heat for surrounding houses/buildings.
which opens up a whole new can o' worms..



that banner is hilarious. i knew paint had to be good for something.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

octo

TRIBE Member
i think putting small powerplants in people's back yards is great. put smart meters on the homes too. it might encourage more people to conserve energy. even better would be a garbage powered generating station. neighbourhood garbage gets trucked to a local power plant. it might encourage people to produce less waste.

here's the letter i read last week about sweden

`Waste not to burn the waste'
Unfortunately, much of the emissions debate in Canada is based on old knowledge from the '70s
Mar. 21, 2006. 01:00 AM




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, why don't we just burn our garbage?


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 18.

In an excellent article, Kerry Gillespie is presenting the opportunities that "energy-from-waste" plants offer to solve Ontario's garbage crisis and at the same time improve the environment by lowering emissions. However, there are even more arguments for the advantages with energy from waste.

As mentioned in the article, 29 energy-from-waste plants in Sweden burn almost half of Sweden's waste. More importantly, these plants are generating electricity and heat for space and tap water heating. If we didn't burn garbage, other fuels would have to be used to generate electricity and heat. There would still be emissions. And we would still have to handle the garbage.

In Göteborg, Sweden's second largest city, some 460,000 tonnes of waste generate electricity for the equivalent of 60,000 apartments and also produce heat for 120,000 apartments in the city. The burning of garbage is replacing 120,000 tonnes of oil or 120 million cubic metres of natural gas each year.

In Malmö, our third largest city, the situation is the same. SYSAV, the municipally owned corporation, is generating enough electricity and heat for more than 80,000 apartments in the city from its energy-from-waste plant. If SYSAV didn't burn the garbage, the company would have to import more than 80,000 tonnes of oil or 80 million cubic metres of natural gas.

Applying these numbers to Ontario, the 3.6 million tonnes of waste that are trucked to Michigan represent more than 1 million tonnes of oil or 1.2 billion cubic metres of natural gas. This is a tremendous opportunity to generate electricity and heat for apartments, offices, hospitals and other institutions. Combined, it would improve the environment, thanks to lower emissions.

Large energy-from-waste plants emit much less than smaller, individual heating plants at schools, hospitals, office or apartment buildings, thanks to more efficient processes and more sophisticated equipment.

Shorter trucking distances would also eliminate substantial emissions from traffic.


Finally, a few words about emissions from energy-from-waste plants. Unfortunately, much of the debate in Canada is based on old knowledge from the '70s. Since 1980, the emissions of dioxins from energy-from-waste plants have been reduced by more than 98 per cent. The figures are the same with other emissions. The newest plants are meeting new standards and older plants are being retrofitted so they too meet these standards.

In Sweden, the saying is: "It is a waste not to burn the waste." Just because Canada has plenty of oil and natural gas, she doesn't have to waste it.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lars Henriksson, Honorary Consul, Consulate of Sweden, Toronto
 

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Sal De Ban said:
anyhow, that's not his plan. do a bit of research if you really care. you'll find yourself not voting ndp either.
What does that mean? Have any of you checked Tabuns history? He was the executive director of Green peace and wrote the NDP's Kyoto plan! He only wants an oil burning energy plant as a last resort and only if the community is okay with it. He has done vast research on our energy problems in Canada, understands the benefits of sustainable energy sources. Most importantly he also knows that we have an energy crisis! He understands that you could put an expensive solar panel on every home and install wind mills all over the place and it still isn't enough to power this city. Not at our current rate of consumption. So advocating a smaller plant as a last resort is the smart thing to. Ben Chin's a dink!

He's all for the solar panel thing but also knows that it's mostly fluff.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
And who verifies the contents of the garbage that is burned???

IMO, it's one thing to burn Natural Gas, 'clean' Coal (IE low sulphur), or some other fossil fuel to create energy, but it's a completely different thing to start buring garbage which contains countless other substances yeilding who knows what kinda god awful pollutants into the atmosphere. I'll take CO2, a little bit of SOx and NOx over what is in 'the box' any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
 

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
hmm Ben Chins Office is right across the road from wear i live, fukers posters are everywhere -- hmm think i will take a sharpie home with me from work today
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
mrs peacock said:
hmm Ben Chins Office is right across the road from wear i live, fukers posters are everywhere -- hmm think i will take a sharpie home with me from work today


pics would be great!!!
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
wow I'm asking for pics of Ben Chin posters being 'corrected' and not Mrs Peacock....


I must be coming down with a fever
 

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
man_slut said:
What does that mean? Have any of you checked Tabuns history? He was the executive director of Green peace and wrote the NDP's Kyoto plan! He only wants an oil burning energy plant as a last resort and only if the community is okay with it. He has done vast research on our energy problems in Canada, understands the benefits of sustainable energy sources. Most importantly he also knows that we have an energy crisis! He understands that you could put an expensive solar panel on every home and install wind mills all over the place and it still isn't enough to power this city. Not at our current rate of consumption. So advocating a smaller plant as a last resort is the smart thing to. Ben Chin's a dink!

He's all for the solar panel thing but also knows that it's mostly fluff.
i wish i was free to say more......man this bugs the hell outta me....
 

octo

TRIBE Member
Sleepy Giant said:
And who verifies the contents of the garbage that is burned???

IMO, it's one thing to burn Natural Gas, 'clean' Coal (IE low sulphur), or some other fossil fuel to create energy, but it's a completely different thing to start buring garbage which contains countless other substances yeilding who knows what kinda god awful pollutants into the atmosphere. I'll take CO2, a little bit of SOx and NOx over what is in 'the box' any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
you think they're gonna burn stuff and just release "god awful pullutants" willy nilly into the atmosphere?

uninformed reactions like yours are what keeps us from looking at and moving to with creative and progressive solutions to long standing problems.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top