• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Knuckles & Morales @ Sonic

Maui

TRIBE Member
Wow and I was the one sticking up for these guys in that general forum thread.
I've never seen crap that bad since watching Studio 54.
I paid $70 for tickets, call me stupid...call a LOT of people stupid I guess.
Bah I hope the people inside are having a good time at least.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Maui

TRIBE Member
tatgirl said:
Could you elaborate a bit more...?

Got there at 1:30. Huge line wrapping around the building, with another line going the other way, and a huge mosh pit around the entrance. Found out the long line was the ticket line. Got in it, waited 2.5 hours. Occassionaly went and viewed how the line was progressing. It wasn't really. Unless you were one of the "chosen" standing in the mosh pit. Everyone was budding in the line also.
Lots of people in the ticket line were giving up and going to other parties.

Ahh well, I might go back in a bit and see whats up.

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
On the flipside, got through fairly easily at 3am.
Staff, though VERY busy, were still civil, despite being understaffed.
First night jitters will be worked out I hope.
Knuckles was all I expected:D
Got hit on by too many boys.
That's flatering, but a prob when you're hetero.:(
Where were all the sexy Tribster ladies?
(many sexy woman, just not dancing, and I would Expect Tribsters to be on the floor for a good set, Knuckles, ghey, or otherwise.)

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Wow.

Just got home...and honestly, that was one of the best club nights. ever.

Left around 8:30ish, and the place was still full and goin' off...the sound, the lights, the music, the people...simple awesome.

More later, gonna enjoy this cold beer right now...;)

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
A real review (for solacevip and friends)

:)

went at 3. insano line. like. i've never seen a line that out of control. but it's the first night! it was the party to be at last night! came back at 5:30. walked right in. $40 bucks. no hassles. sweeeeeet. went upstairs. instant wall of heat also like i've never felt before. wow. tried to dance. thought i was gonna die. went outside. hung around. blah blah blah yadda yadda. it started to thin out around 7. all the shirtless sweaty dudes left and all the people who were waiting for them to leave descended on to the dance floor.

overall pretty good tunes. lots of diva house interspersed with good chuggy house tunes. the TSN turning point happened when he dropped KOT - Finally. The whole crowd perked right up. It was still hot but everyone found some juice to get up and dance. He played lots of classics. tons! the system doesn't sound perfect and it would be my guess that morales isn't 100% happy with it. It was really good. But the old system made even the crappiest tunes sound amazing but on the new one when really complex tracks were dropped (Madonna) it got kinda crappy...

A night that went from okay to amazing very slowly... :)

The poor hardwood floors are covered in gum and grime now. :(

The lighting rig is awesome. The decorations are awesome. The coat check was a little out of control but that's to be expected on a crazy opening night but at least they've addressed the problem by making a coat check by the door! It's too bad there won't be a space for smaller guys to play tunes though...

8/10 - sonic is going places.

--r

sevyn

I had a BLAST last night!!

I got in late without lineup prob's (close to 2:30am) and Nevio was spinning. It was definetley a "happy" sound last night from all the dj's which isn't bad because the crowd seemed to be feeling it. As I came up the stairs to see the massive speakers and the lights trickling down the stairs, Stevie Nicks was singing "Just like the one winged dove, sings a song sounds like she's singin" over the happy prog beats Nevio was pumping.

Frankie came on and dropped the Shapeshifter's "Lola's Theme" as his first track and the crowd went nuts! He made a good first impression overall with his set, they seemed to like him for the most part but he didn't drop anything to really 'wow' me personally. My friends and I were so damn tired from the long night of hitting the clubs we didn't get to stay long enuff to hear Morales spin which sucks. Anyone who can comment on his set, please do! (and I mean DETAILS)

The club overall: great decor, great lights, great floor, great similar layout, the sound does need tweaking still but that is a kink they can work out. Staff was super nice except for when they had to put their mean faces on to deal with some of the people at the door. True it was a MOB down there and I can understand why people were so pissed. I would be too in that situation (big up's to Jennstar for keepin it together!!!!). The flow of traffic idea is great as they moved the entrance to the side alley and then exit out the front on Spadina (it was the opposite back in the "b_a" days).

Next weekend Danny Torrence is in from Montreal to spin on the system so we'll see how he sounds on it. The week following Chus and Ceballos, following that Cajjmere Wray Matt C and Sean Miller, following that Tedd Patterson. The club really did look great though, and all the flashing camera's everywhere put that stamp of approval on it!!

cjaxx

TRIBE Member
mikeryan said:
:)

all the shirtless sweaty dudes
--r

i really, really wish this board would get over this. It's not like people are complaining about lousy dancers who take up room. These comments about "the homos" and the "shirtless dudes" are just homophobic, plain and simple. I'd like to think the people on this board are a socially advanced, all-including bunch. It takes all kinds and diversity's the key to an interesting club.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i dunno cjaxx... i actually see a distinction between complaining about sweaty, shirtless dudes and complaining about "the gays".
i think its valid to feel uncomfortable being in really, really close quarters with people wearing very little clothing when they are that hot. its so nasty to have someone squeeze by you in a crowd and get all their sweat all over you in the process.
like, its not the end of the world by any stretch, but its still nasty.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
cjaxx said:
i really, really wish this board would get over this. It's not like people are complaining about lousy dancers who take up room. These comments about "the homos" and the "shirtless dudes" are just homophobic, plain and simple. I'd like to think the people on this board are a socially advanced, all-including bunch. It takes all kinds and diversity's the key to an interesting club.

Did I say homo? I don't care if they're straight or gay or bi or whatever, the description was of the sea of sweat that one had to navigate in order to navigate across the room. I'm just saying. They was hot and they was sweaty and EW. :)

Edit: What Booty Bits said.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
cjaxx said:
I'd like to think the people on this board are a socially advanced, all-including bunch.

It's this type of thinking that puts poor cjaxx in the "newbie" category. (especially since he/she is under 60 posts) We all know that the members of Tribe are far from being socially advanced and all-including.

;)

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
cjaxx said:

whatever, racist.

why not

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
i dunno cjaxx... i actually see a distinction between complaining about sweaty, shirtless dudes and complaining about "the gays".
i think its valid to feel uncomfortable being in really, really close quarters with people wearing very little clothing when they are that hot. its so nasty to have someone squeeze by you in a crowd and get all their sweat all over you in the process.
like, its not the end of the world by any stretch, but its still nasty.

that's true, but you have to expect that at any gay-ish party, there will be a lot of shirtless gay dudes. to go to a party like that and then complain about it is a bit weird.
maybe not homophobic, but kind of a weird complaint considering the kind of event it was.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
any idea what time this party ended/is ending at? saw over on tranceaddict someone mentioned leaving at 1:30 and the party was still going strong.

billy

TRIBE Member
without the queer community, late night dance culture wouldn't have had a flying chance of becoming as big as it has become.

30 helens agree.

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
why not said:
that's true, but you have to expect that at any gay-ish party, there will be a lot of shirtless gay dudes. to go to a party like that and then complain about it is a bit weird.
maybe not homophobic, but kind of a weird complaint considering the kind of event it was.

So you are equating homesexuality with filthiness??

The complaint was about sweaty people, not gay people.

For someone complaining about a lack of broad attitudes, perhaps you should broaden your reading comprehension.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Well, gays and straights alike may go shirtless, the shirtless thing seems to be pretty much a defacto standard at gay after-hours events.

And, from what I gather - Sonic is heavily trying to target the gay crowd and created a 'mixed' venue (gay/straight/whatever -- just show up and dance), so chances are, if Sonic is able to get a foothold with the homos, you'll be seeing loads of shirtless homos (and hets) and most parties there.

Now, I suppose Sonic could go off and start enforcing a 'must wear your shirt' policy, but at the same time - that would go contrary to their trying to create a mixed vibe.

Homos love to run around shirtless -- I dont know why they do (as I am one myself), but - they do.

If being brushed up against by a sweaty shirtless homo is enough to ruin your night and make you bitch, it may be a good idea to avoid Sonic -- then again, I could just be crazy.

why not

TRIBE Member
crazedcanuck said:
So you are equating homesexuality with filthiness??

The complaint was about sweaty people, not gay people.

For someone complaining about a lack of broad attitudes, perhaps you should broaden your reading comprehension.

every single person in that room was bathed in sweat - it has nothing to do with being filthy.
if anything, removing one's shirt might be a good way to beat the sweat.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
Last night was crazy from the get go. the lineup outside around 12:00 was kaos! i managed to get in after not too long, thank god...

the club itself was very impressive. i like the layout quite a bit...the sound was top-notch but i really diden't like the dj's, no offence to anyone who did...

all around crazy fun night tho and i look forward to partying at Sonic in the future! :D