• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Know thy Windows

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Hmm, well, since I've been _forced_ to use a Windows box for my job, I've decided to rediscover all the little tricks I used to know about getting Windows to do things the way I want.

Now, I'd like to share with you a few (and only a few!) of the "secrets" I know about...there's tons, but here's a few starters:

1. Have you ever noticed spurious network usage, or processor (and memory) usage? Solution:
- Go to administrative tools. Select "services"
- There are a TON of services that do NOT need to be running, but which Bill Gates thinks should be running. Two of them are MEGA resource hogs: the "indexing" service and the "system restore" service. The indexing service maintains hash tables of locations of files in your computer and it's not generally necessary. Disable the fucker. The "system restore" service is the one that lets you roll back your computer configuration to a previous state if you screwed things up. Generally, I don't find this useful. It would have been grrrreat in the win95 days, but now I tend to either do a fresh install, or "fix" the problem with a few simple driver updates.
- Some other services you can disable: "windows update", "messenger", "FTP Publishing", "remote assistance", "remote desktop sharing"...there's tons that I usually disable. This saves your resources from unnecessary Windoze abuse. You can find out more by searching the great google.

(One thing about services: this is the whole controversial "making applications an integrated service" feature that is pissing off so many other companies...Windows is trying to integrate their .NET technologies and other applications into the services that it provides with the operating system, thus intertwining it with other O/S features...it's a disgusting practice, IMO)

2. Bill Gates likes to hide things. One of the little "secrets" is located here: C:\windows\sysoc.inf
If you remove all the "hide" strings out of the file, you will now be able to uninstall things that you thought were permanent such as MSN messenger, explorer, etc. To be clear, here is an example of how to modify sysoc.inf:

The original line is:

NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,hide,4

Should be changed to:

NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,,4

If you're afraid to change the file, just make a backup copy. Once you've made the changes, you can now go to add/remove programs and remove some of those previously unremoveable programs. :)

3. Learn to use "msconfig". Especially the "startup" tab which will generally show you a lot of those sneaky little programs that try and start up when windows does. DO NOT modify the services through msconfig...use the services manager through the administrative tools that I talked about in point 1.

4. Create a static page file size, and then defrag your freakin hard drive, even if windows "thinks" you shouldn't. A dynamic page file is probably the primary source of fragmentation. Make it static, give it a reasonable size (say about twice the amount of RAM). You can do this through the control panel -> system -> advanced -> Performance settings -> advanced -> change.

That's all for now. :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ian

TRIBE Member
I must respectfully disagree that System Restore is not usefull. It has saved my bacon on several occasions and I consider myself a power user. I can see someone who wants ultimate speed deciding to turn it off, but otherwise I think it is a fantastic feature.

-ian g.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ian
I must respectfully disagree that System Restore is not usefull. It has saved my bacon on several occasions and I consider myself a power user. I can see someone who wants ultimate speed deciding to turn it off, but otherwise I think it is a fantastic feature.

-ian g.
Yep fair enough. Each person has their own preferences, I just tend not to find it useful, and uses memory and disk space like mad...it can soak up anywhere from a few to a dozen gigs of space on your hd. ;)

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
Yep fair enough. Each person has their own preferences, I just tend not to find it useful, and uses memory and disk space like mad...it can soak up anywhere from a few to a dozen gigs of space on your hd. ;)
Point noted. I'm just lucky my laptop has GB to spare :)

-ian g.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bitchass
best advice ever

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
lol That's funny...he's more or less repeating (with much greater detail) some of what I've mentioned already. :)

k, here's another one:

Hanging processes

Ever just want to FUCKING KILL the hanging process, and Windows JUST REFUSES TO DO IT??? Well, if you hit up your regedit, then modify the following keys, you'll be a happier Winblows user:

- Go to the registry directory: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

- Modify (or create if necessary) the entry "AutoEndTasks" and set it equal to the string value of "1".
- Modify (or create if necessary) the entry "HungAppTimeout" to about 2500 (the number of milliseconds before auto-killing the hung process).
- Modify (or create if necessary) the entry "WaitToKillAppTimeout" to about 2000-3000 (the number of ms before the task manager kills the process you've told it to kill).

There's actually a TON of changes you can make in that directory in the registry... ;)

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ian

-ian g.
it's also a place where trojans and virii hide if you try and remove them with antivirus software...good idea to turn it off while cleaning out an infection

bitchass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
lol That's funny...he's more or less repeating (with much greater detail) some of what I've mentioned already. :)

heh i really have had great success with improving the speed and stability of my systems by following his advice! but no matter how many times people are told to back up their registry before doing it, someone will ALWAYS post asking how to restore something hehe i'm waiting for it in this thread

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
every time i try to shut down my computer nothing happens till i select shutdown for the second time. I can't seem to determine which service/task is causing this....any ideas?

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
By turnin off indexing service you will notice much slower access and search time for files... FACT!

So depending on what your needs are this may infact seem to slow down your machine.

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by blipblurpbleep
every time i try to shut down my computer nothing happens till i select shutdown for the second time. I can't seem to determine which service/task is causing this....any ideas?
are you running windows xp?

this happens to my friends xp machine.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by blipblurpbleep

I think there is a fix for this in the service pack.

open internet explorer and go to Tools / Windows Update and download the newest service pack

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
yes i'm running XP...

Originally posted by stir-fry
I think there is a fix for this in the service pack.

open internet explorer and go to Tools / Windows Update and download the newest service pack
i gots all 'em...but thanks for the suggestion