• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

kmenu

miscreant

TRIBE Member
I was wondering if anyone can help me update the kmenu on a Gentoo system?. I know there are some Gentoo users on this board, after some portage emerges some programs don't showup in kmenu or the icon doesn't show up. Is there any way to update kmenu or does that just mean that the program has no icon and also that it did not compile properly if it doesn't show up at all?

cheers

miscreant

TRIBE Member
miscreant said:
I was wondering if anyone can help me update the kmenu on a Gentoo system?. I know there are some Gentoo users on this board, after some portage emerges some programs don't showup in kmenu or the icon doesn't show up. Is there any way to update kmenu or does that just mean that the program has no icon and also that it did not compile properly if it doesn't show up at all?

cheers

ok I answered this one on my own and now I can share my experiences:

Yes it is a Kde issue and not Gentoo in particular. The programs I compiled were good because there were no error's at the time of emerging, so far so good. Most programs had icons as well. I don't know the reasoning behind the problem but here is the solution if a app does not show in kmenu:

- first check that the app works: goto the run command in kmenu and type the app name
if the program launches then exit the app and proceed:
- right click the kmenu icon
- choose menu editor
- file new item
- then all you need to fill in is the name, choose an icon, and for command put the app name i.e. ardour
- save

done

Unfortunately there is no faster way around this, ppl were saying there is an auto update feature in kmenu menu editor but I cannot find it :confused:

cheers