1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Kitty Help!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by JESuX, Oct 14, 2005.

1. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

Hello catlovers of tribe!

I have an issue of great importance: my cats keep tearing the fuck out of the couch and carpet in my landlord/roommate's house.

They need their claws clipped, bottom line.

The issue? Every time I've tried to do this, they go fucking apeshit.

One is a smaller female cat, who doesn't have a problem with going to the vet, as she used to have her claws trimmed all the time. The other, however, is a BIG 2 year old male, (all muscle, about 17 pounds) and a TOTAL pussy. He does *not* travel well.

He FREAKS out when he's in an enclosed space, and nearly croaked when I moved him to my new place, he was so scared. (he was panting like a dog, and ran into the basement and hid for two days afterward) He's always been like this, for every trip to the vet, and every confined space. (You can't even put a blanket over his head or he freaks.)

Anyway, does anyone have any tips tricks or hints on how to do this myself?? I'm sure the vet doesn't have any crazy tricks up his sleeve when he does it... (or does he? sedation or what?!)

Hellllp. Myself, and my landlord's couch and carpet thank you.

:)

2. ~Loress~

~Loress~ TRIBE Member

awww poor dexter! i still remember when i woke up on ian's bean bag chair to him kneeding my bum :)

get him stoned!

3. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

It's not that difficult. Just don't plan to get more than one claw at once.

Have the clipper in one hand out of site. Invite your kitty over for a petting session. Take hold of cat and one paw firmly. Cut nail. Cat will squirm out and run away. Wait a bit till he calms down, and repeat.

4. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

wow

tough one

i would attempt to tie them up in a towel - don't cover their head if they don't like it but just enough to restrict mov't yet still be comfy. Reward w/ lots of treats. Keep touching their paws constantly to get them use to it, fiddle w/ their claws in b/tw clippings.

My cat starts purring now when i clip her nails but it still is a 2 person job. I need someone to hold her while I do the cutting.

5. ~Loress~

~Loress~ TRIBE Member

i agree with the towel idea. one person holds him wrapped in the towel while the other clips his nails. we actually used this method to clean out my cat's ears when he had ear mites... poor lil guy

6. jmaggs

jmaggs TRIBE Member

One of our cats HATES having their nails clipped as well. We just have one person hold the cat, then the person with the clippers puts a towel over the cat AND the person, with just their paws sticking out. For some reason this is the only way we can get the cat to stay somewhat calm. Though you mentioned that he can't have a blanket over his head so that may not work. lol.

7. Galactic Phantom

Galactic Phantom TRIBE Member

ketamine + clippers = unscratched couch

8. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

do you have of them kitty scratching posts?

9. s1k

s1k TRIBE Member

buy a scratch board, spray cat nip (sp?) on it, he'll go ape shit on it and get it all out and won't scratch anything else.

10. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

yeah, i think this might be a two-person job.

the only problem being that i'm worried they'll bite me... and i've experienced the wrath of a writhing, wriggling dexter, who's actually been able to overpower my scrawny arms in the past and just bolt and HIDE not to be seen for a number of hours post-claw cutting attempt.

looks like slow but steady is going to have to do.

*sigh*

my old cat lewis just sat in my lap like a total SUCK when i'd trim his claws. he'd purr, too. i nearly nipped him once, and he made this pissy little face and went "myaah!!!". but he didn't even MOVE.

11. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

yup. got a scratching post and COVER it with the 'nip. they love the catnip, but they couldn't seem to give two shits about the post.

:(

12. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

my cats (who also hate having their nails clipped) both use the scratch thing all the time and it doesn't stop them from scratching other shit.

13. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

I do my cats front paws myself. I sit on the couch with a towel on my lap to catch the timmed bits. (no need to do the back paws)

I pick him up and restrain him under my left arm, with his body beside my hip. I use my left hand to splay his paw so the claws stick out, and use my right hand to snip (with cutters that look like baby nail scissors) Sort of like a football hold you could carry a newborn baby with...

He makes a lot of noise but I usually have a good hold of him so he cant run away. I can do it pretty quickly though.

I've been doing my cats nails since he was a kitten though and hes now 6.

have you tried scratching toys? Cats love the cosmic catnip cardboard kitty scratch box... they cost <10 bucks at pet value

14. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

stupid cats!

":mad:"

15. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

i even tried threatening to send them back to the pound, but it didn't work. they have no regard for human life.

16. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

trust me, they need their nails clipped. they're like little razors on both of them...

as i mentioned though, the cats will SQUIRM and do anything they can to escape my grasp... back claws and teeth not witholding.

17. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

i will never understand those beastly little creatures.

18. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

see if you can do something like this w/ your cat:

[​IMG]

my silly cat just lies there all sedate when i wrap her up like this.....mebbe yours will too

19. technowelt

technowelt TRIBE Member

and i'm sure the smoking implement in the background had nothing to do with her sedated nature.

20. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

ahahah... so cute!

but, i'm telling ya, as soon as they're bunched up in any way, it's time for the opening ceremony of the 2005 wriggle-lympics.

21. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

actually the smoking implement has never been used aside from dust collector (inside has never been fired so unless you wanna be smoking brass, it ain't a good idea)

:D

22. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Here's a picture of some random kittens I found on the internet.

[​IMG]

23. echo

echo TRIBE Member

Jess - what works even better than a towel is a pillow case! They can't back out of a pillow case, so if you place him in there butt first (you might have to sneak up on him to do this) and only allow his paws to come out of the opening - you might be able to keep your wriggly kitty from getting free! And it will help to protect you from random scratches and bites.

As for how to hold him - I always found it easiest when I knelt on the ground on my knees and held the cat between my legs while creating a barrier in the back with my feet (and the back of the pillow case helps with this too). Then I'd just hold the cat steady at the shoulders with my hands and have someone else clip their nails!!

He won't like it - but he'll forgive you soon enough! Like deevah said - give him lots of treats!!

24. Michlerish

Michlerish Well-Known TRIBEr

I do what that one person said... (when I took in the two new cats, they needed their nails trimmed but HATED it)

When the cat is sleepy, I pick it up and sit it in my lap, pet it for a bit till he gets sleepy in my lap again.
    Pull him close to my body and put my left arm around and in front of him.
    Grab his paw with my left hand and splay nails.
    Somewhat quickly line up his nail in the clipper (which is in my right hand) and clip.
    ** quickly is key **
    Talk sweetly and pet him for a bit to calm him down, try and do another nail.
    Usually, I have to wait a few minutes between each nail.

It also helps to trim only a very very small amount, so they feel it the least. You'll have to clip the nails more often this way, but it seems easiest.

The trick is to use your body and one arm to restrain the cat... but if it gets way too fussy and starts "growling" or clawing at you, give it a break to calm down. This is also why you want to move quickly so he doesn't clue in to what you're doing until after you've done one nail. Slowly, it starts to think (hey.. this isn't SO bad... I don't need to bite or growl at least... etc)

Maybe try giving it a treat in between nails?

25. grounded4life

grounded4life TRIBE Member

I just pin my cat down (and she hates this) and clip her nails. She hisses and growls and whines, but it has to be done. Just get it over with.

Jade gives me dirty looks for a few minutes after until she later comes and rubs her head against my foot and everything is cool again.