• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Kitchen renovation ideas and inspiration

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am thinking that if I make a few more good treasure finds I will renovate my kitchen down here because it is really dated: the wall tiles are tan with have pictures of mushrooms on them, and the cupboards are brown.

I am aiming towards mostly whites, clean, minimal, but salt air proof. My floor tiles are rough brown quarry tiles (throughout the house) and I am not going to change them because they are easy to keep clean and tidy and the sand sweeps off them nicely, but I want to get rid of all the other brown and tan.

Can anyone recommend any kitchen renovation sites, pics, ideas?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Can anyone recommend any kitchen renovation sites, pics, ideas?
Keep the number of steps between the fridge, stove and sink to a minimum.

A built in butcher block would be nice (adjacent to the sink would be my preference)

Get a good range hood, vented to the outside.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

NemIsis

TRIBE Member

When we renovated our edwardian, I had white pine cupboards with a black fridge/stove top/dishwasher. I have a passion for wrought iron, so I had a black wrought iron pot holder hanging above the the island with copper pots.

The counter top was copper with gold and black accents. The halogens above were also black. The floors were mid-to-light hardwood. The seats were black with wood supports. The wood matched the floors. The walls were tan in colour. There was a lot of light so it was very warm and inviting, but also bright because of the cupboards.

It was an old house and the height of the rooms was quite extensive, so I dropped the cupboards so I could put my collection of baskets on top with dried flowers etc., (which added quite a bit of colour).

I'm lucky that my apartment also has high celings and my collection still stands : )

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Btw, although that picture has cupboards that are very white, ours were more of a wash (if you will). You could see the grain and the warmth of the wood did come out. All handles etc., were copper.

peko

TRIBE Member
Italian rustic kitchen that's inviting and tropical.
I like this idea too with the butcher block table/ island. MoFo, get cracking with kitchen design/ decor ideas!

Cityline TV has an interesting array of designers and Benjamin Moore peeps on regularly (Wednesday is design day, I think), check out episodes or videos online.

You can even submit pictures of your kitchen and a round table of designers sketch out ideas, materials (refurbished, recycled or new) and colour schemes based on your request and budget.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Hi Alex. I recently renovated my kitchen with the same inspiration - white, clean and minimal. We ended up with white subway tile backsplash, open shelving, white cabinets, a porcelain farmhouse type sink and a wood counter. I'm not sure how wood would stand up to the climate there, but it does look really nice against all the whites. Here are some of the photos I was drawn to:

more here (COCOCOZY: MODERN COUNTRY - SHABBY MEETS CHIC IN A WHITE RUSTIC KITCHEN!)

We did ours on the cheap and it's not anywhere near as nice as any of the above, but it's hard to go wrong with those combinations...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I went to 3 kitchen designers today. 2 are coming over tomorrow to measure and provide quotes on cabinets. One thing I noticed here is that all kitchen cabinetry these days all seems to be made of melamined chipboard or what they call 'wrapped' boards, which is basically chipboard with finer chips. The wrapping is a PVC layer or skin that they adhere to the board with adhesive, and the wrap is applied by putting the cut boards on a vacuum table and sucking the PVC onto it until the glue has set.

They also have a product called 'DUCCO' coated cabinets, which is MDF boards that are cut and then sprayed with several coats of lacquer in either a high gloss or semi gloss finish. This is the most expensive stuff but it looks great and it is supposed to hold up to moisture in the air by the sea better.

There is also the problem of cabinet hinges, which have to be stainless steel where my place is, or they will rust, and only one maker (the most expensive kitchen place here) has them.

Why doesn't anyone use real wood anymore? Even plywood with veneer on both sides for kitchen cabinets? Wouldn't that last longer, be stronger, and take screws and hinges and stuff better than these composite boards?

I figure if it going to be white in color, couldn't I just go for a good grade of plywood and spray them gloss white? Or is there something wrong with using plywood for cabinets?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Alex. I recently renovated my kitchen with the same inspiration - white, clean and minimal. We ended up with white subway tile backsplash, open shelving, white cabinets, a porcelain farmhouse type sink and a wood counter. I'm not sure how wood would stand up to the climate there, but it does look really nice against all the whites. Here are some of the photos I was drawn to:

more here (COCOCOZY: MODERN COUNTRY - SHABBY MEETS CHIC IN A WHITE RUSTIC KITCHEN!)

We did ours on the cheap and it's not anywhere near as nice as any of the above, but it's hard to go wrong with those combinations...
That kitchen is really cool! No cabinets at all except under the counter. I am just wondering if the gecko poo would collect in the bowls if they weren't protected in cupboards. The vibe is kind of the same as the vibe in my house down here - a bit rustic, kind of funky, so it might work.... Hmmm.

I love the subway tiles.

mingster

TRIBE Member
i was going to say, i think the open cabinet look is great for "vacation homes", except for the fact that everything would probably get dusty while you're away and you'd have to spend a bunch of time cleaning everytime you got home.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Doesn't all your stuff get covered in grease with open shelves?
Ours don't, but maybe that's a sign that we don't cook often enough :)

kuba said:
Leigh please post pics of the finished product.
Here you go! But just a reminder, we were working with a tiny budget, so it's nowhere close to any of the photos posted. Also, we did it in a country where we don't yet speak the language, so that was an extra struggle (ie. the subway tiles aren't offset).

The Kid

TRIBE Member

Here you go! But just a reminder, we were working with a tiny budget, so it's nowhere close to any of the photos posted. Also, we did it in a country where we don't yet speak the language, so that was an extra struggle (ie. the subway tiles aren't offset).

This is very similar to what my new place will look like, being built now. Not as big but same idea, white with butcher block counter tops, white ceramic sink, etc.

I cant wait it's gonna be so f'n PIMP!

:D

kyfe

TRIBE Member

I think your kitchen looks great, even more so with the other challenges you faced.

peko

TRIBE Member
There is also the problem of cabinet hinges, which have to be stainless steel where my place is, or they will rust, and only one maker (the most expensive kitchen place here) has them.

Why doesn't anyone use real wood anymore? Even plywood with veneer on both sides for kitchen cabinets? Wouldn't that last longer, be stronger, and take screws and hinges and stuff better than these composite boards?

I figure if it going to be white in color, couldn't I just go for a good grade of plywood and spray them gloss white? Or is there something wrong with using plywood for cabinets?
Why don't you get custom cabinet doors made from the material of your choice? And, you have interesting environmental things to worry about in SA (gecko poop and salt water air rusting metals)!

Leigh! I LOVE your white kitchen!!

kuba

TRIBE Member

I have to quote this as well because I love love love this. Where did you move to? How much did it cost all in? Tell us more! Ikea? Wicked job!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories