• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

KiNK @ Holy Trinity

alison87

TRIBE Member
Aw man what a sick venue. What great production (lights/sound). This was by far the bangingest party i've been to in Toronto on those fronts. But holy crap they packed it like sardines. That wouldn't have been so bad if the crowd didn't have so many of those drunken cokehead types who beeline to the bathroom every 10 minutes, barging past anyone in their way. I saw a bunch of the older crew there i recognized from other gigs, but we were all scattered around trying to find a spot to dance where we wouldn't get bodychecked every two seconds. Still, i got a decent boogie on here and there, and just looked up at the ceiling and surrounds trying to drink in the moment. It was pretty nifty. I kinda wish i hadn't seen his Boiler Room set beforehand, because it would've been nice to be surprised by that audience-interaction 303 pattern and his other cute live techno gimmicks. I wonder how many people realized when he was riffing on Strings of Life and Move Your Body? Probably more than you'd give em credit for. I did exchange some brief words here and there with the youngsters, and it was cool to see they knew a bit about the music and it wasn't just some random party.

That douchebag who tried to grind his ass on me after i told him to fuck off at Josh Wink can GGF, though. I feel like i must know the guy now it's happened twice. So if said ironic-moustachioed douchebag reads Tribe: yes, i may dance like that occasionally as a joke with my gay friends. No i do not do it with people i don't know, even if you swear we had some deep moment during a party where i was clearly so fucked i don't remember it in the slightest. So gimme a break.

Further to the PSA, if you arrive after midnight and therefore miss coat check, do not place your coat on top of a table, even if it's right at the back, as it will apparently be used for target practice by vomiting hipsters. Yerrr. Though that kinda did make me feel like i was at a real rave. Rogue puddles of spew <3 <3 PLUR!

Overall i give er an 8/10 for venue/lights/sound and 3/10 for vibe. Though whenever you got a minute's peace, closed your eyes and just got caught up in where you were, bouncing around with a few hundred sweaty people going crazy to some rockin house music... that was magical, and it doesn't happen the same way at the smaller parties. Though at the end of the day i think i still enjoyed Dandy Jack more. No gimmicks, no lights, nothing spesh, but a solid dose of straight-up dance music with plenty of room to actually dance (thanks to the snow...) I think i'm always gonna be a small gig person. Just wish the people throwing small gigs had the money to do production the way bigger gigs do it.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I wish I'd realized this was happening earlier than 10:30pm last night. I would like to go to this space.

TRIBE Member
Have to agree this is an excellent party. The sound was surprising good. I was at the back and there were lots of room to dance. It was pretty packed when I got there but where I was, the crowd thinned out quite a bit around 1ish. I thought the crowd was pretty good, lots of trendy kids I don't see at parties very often. This would be the party to hear Faithless' God Is A DJ :) On my way home, I kept thinking of the lyrics to that Hot Chip song:

A church is not for praying
It's for celebrating the life that bleeds through the pain
It's for celebrating the life that shines through your veins

alison87

TRIBE Member
Yep, as annoying as those pushy kids were, it made me happy to see all the fluoro electro house (dubstep?) teens bouncing around. It's the lifeblood of the scene. As much as i love the small parties where it's all a bunch of undergrounder-than-thou headz, the money and the future is with those youngsters who'll dance to anything and get way more excited about it than most of us do any more.

Sound was superb. Of course i was right in front of the speakers, so you'd hope so ;)

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Definitely a mosh pit thing happening but I found dealing with the crowd a lot better up front if that makes sense. The music was stellar, and the sound was there to support it. And I love seeing a whole new crowd really digging it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Have to agree this is an excellent party. The sound was surprising good. I was at the back and there were lots of room to dance. It was pretty packed when I got there but where I was, the crowd thinned out quite a bit around 1ish. I thought the crowd was pretty good, lots of trendy kids I don't see at parties very often. This would be the party to hear Faithless' God Is A DJ :) On my way home, I kept thinking of the lyrics to that Hot Chip song:

A church is not for praying
It's for celebrating the life that bleeds through the pain
It's for celebrating the life that shines through your veins
The back was where it was at! Was rocking my Jesse and The Rippers shirt if there were any fellow tribers there I haven't met yet seeing that shirt, that was me..;)

Once I realized the back was where it was at I stayed there rest of the night and had a good time.

Had my taste of the mansion promoter vibe and I think maybe that's all I need?

Happy to take it back to the crowds/promoters I am used and feel my curiousity has been sated... up for it crowd but ya, missing a little something in the vibe department... maybe they just need more old school tutelage?

In which case they should partner up more often...

GOod times! Kink threw a great set with a lot of throwback sounds in a very stripped back set that really pummeled you! Had me going for most of it but in the chuggier moments the way the wooden floor was gripping shoes became more noticeable... but he lifted me outta that more than a few times and the chugginess was super appreciated all the same, reminded me of some of the more minimalistic, robot german techno sets I got in my folders...

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Sounds like a hype night. Alas, didn't have it in me this time around. Would have been hard to top the last Holy Trinity party with Para One though.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
So if said ironic-moustachioed douchebag reads Tribe: yes, i may dance like that occasionally as a joke with my gay friends. No i do not do it with people i don't know, even if you swear we had some deep moment during a party where i was clearly so fucked i don't remember it in the slightest. So gimme a break.
someone's a hot mess eh

alison87

TRIBE Member
Only at Honey Dijon. Most embarrassing party since the early 2000s. Probably. Perhaps. Oh wait, and Luciano & Villalobos. 2011 wasn't exactly a highlight year for my self respect ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

tobywan

TRIBE Member
First night out since NYE (and until Feb 22 for Dirtybird), and I'm glad I made the choice to go.

Everything from a promoter actually honouring their "no line and guaranteed entry for ticket holders" policy, to the amazing sound & acoustics, to the enthusiastic and up for it crowd. All the elements fell into place to create a really fun party.

Sure, there was some obvious pushing and shoving, but that was nothing that simply dancing with more emphasis on swinging elbows couldn't sort itself out ;)

Here's a great video that was taken during KiNK's set (not mine), to give an idea of what it was like:

Left around 3:30am, and witness the awesome forces of mother nature as it was full on snowfall, with thunder and lightning over Lake Ontario.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
The Good:

- Awesome venue
- Great sound, lights and visuals
- Great music from the BOK DJs
- Decent music from the headliners... although I like a little more soul in my music. It was all mono synth leads, acid lines and maybe the odd piano chord.
- Nice to see a younger crowd at a techno event

The Bad:
- Rude rude rude people like the girl pouring her can of ginger ale into a cup literally 1 inch from my friend's face. "What .. it's only ginger ale" That's not the point idiot, could you maybe do it so you're not splashing ginger ale on someone's face.
- I think the mood could have been better. The young crowd seemed pretty indifferent to what was going on.
- Disastrous coach check, thank god after waiting 15min to get to the table I was able to just scream and point to the exact location of our coats.
- Running out of beer at 1am
- Packed to the rafters (although I expected this)
- The crew of people beside us who may or may not have been the Mansion promoters themselves. One 6'6" guy kept hitting my gf in the head with his elbows. But was very apologetic about it. But kept doing it every 5 minutes. He finally clocks her really hard in the back of the head putting his coat on, but again was immediately down apologizing to her. What does he say: "I'm so sorry ... you must be used to this, dancing to music like this for 20 years .... maybe 15 years?" ... She responds back "Just leave now".

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i really wanted to go to this, because the venue sounds amazing and i enjoy the BOK djs. wasn't really sure i'd like KiNK, but was willing to give him a chance. however, in the end we decided not to go due to low funds. reading the reviews, i'm kind of on the fence about whether i'm sorry i didn't go based on the stories about the crowd. that's such a big part of the night for me and i'm not really good with rude, pushy, annoying people. also, running out of beer at 1 am? what?!

that being said, i'm glad most people had a good time and i'd still like to check out one of these church parties at some point!

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Just curious, by Trinity are we talking the Trinity Church on King? That would be funny, b/c I got married there, and in the Knoch Turner School House, followed by that venue in the same local. LOL

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
yeah I was actually not sure which church they meant- there were about 8 of us deciding whether or not we should go at about 2am. So I left, but everyone else went. All i heard was 'the bar is closed, good call in not coming with'