• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

King Sunshine @ Reverb

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
It has been a very long time since i have gone out and seen music that has made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
King Sunshine was amazing. They dabbled into house, techno, funk all the while keeping it consistent and flowing nicely like a well thought out dj set.

They broke out the drum line to "give it up" and "gustos revenge"
all Live !
I was surprised there was not more people there, and i was totally visioning a packed room with people grooving to it.
this band is great! The singer has such a strong voice, The Horn section was so powerful. It amazes me to see a 9 pice band be so tight
It was so good to have music make me feel so good!
It would be nice to see more fusion bands out there.

Phuna - i think they were called - they played before king sunshine. i enjoyed them to - they were much more lounge. Lounge music with occasionally a nice bumpin house beat in the background.

Electronic and Fusion acts are few and far between at the CMW this year as of every year, it is pretty sad to see that 80% of all the acts at the CMW are rock/folk or punk when there is such a huge electronic scene in this city.
Time to fire the old boys - get some people in there that can really make CMW something to talk about and not complain about
And it would have been nice to see the show last night on Friday or saturday night.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

dj ra

TRIBE Member
"Electronic and Fusion acts are few and far between at the CMW this year as of every year, it is pretty sad to see that 80% of all the acts at the CMW are rock/folk or punk when there is such a huge electronic scene in this city."

^^^^
One of the main focus of CMW is to showcase unsigned bands for label A&R's & execs, agents etc in hopes these acts get signed to these labels.
Electronic music wont sell alot of records in the eyes of the CDN music industry so why bother showcasing these acts for the labels?
Also, how many "live PA" electronic acts are there in Canada and did their management submit them to showcase? CWM doesnt call bands to play. ALL bands must be submitted so if they dont get sent the music/press kit...you dont get on.

The big name DJs CDs dont really sell in Canada. The likes of Oakenfeld & Tiesto's CDs only sell between 3000 to 5000 CDs in Canada. These guys have HUGE fan bases & can sell out clubs across the world but few people in the genral public buy their music (other than DJs).

It is a shame that more CDN electronic acts dont get "out there"
but alot of the time its those acts themselves that dont put themselves in a position to be heard.