1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

KICK ASS kicks ass ....... but does it go too far ?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

saw this last night at the 10 pm sneak peak at the scotiabank paramount.

it's a greatly fun flick, made from mark millar's KICK ASS graphic novel. while mark millar is one of my favourite writers, i have actually not read this particular graphic novel.

the best things about the movie are the characters big daddy (played by nicholas cage) and hit girl, a foul-mouthed 11 year old killing machine portrayed excellently by chloe moretz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as expected, the movie has unleashed a flood of outrage from family groups claiming the young character is a harmful influence on kids. even roger ebert joined the fray, giving a much publicized one-star review of the movie. his review (which i don't recommend reading because he gives away much of the plot) starts as follows:

"Shall I have feelings, or should I pretend to be cool? Will I seem hopelessly square if I find “Kick-Ass” morally reprehensible and will I appear to have missed the point? Let's say you're a big fan of the original comic book, and you think the movie does it justice. You know what? You inhabit a world I am so very not interested in. A movie camera makes a record of whatever is placed in front of it, and in this case, it shows deadly carnage dished out by an 11-year-old girl, after which an adult man brutally hammers her to within an inch of her life. Blood everywhere. Now tell me all about the context."

this caused fellow movie fattie harry knowles to fight back, directing the following article at roger ebert: Why my friend, Roger Ebert is dead wrong about KICK ASS by Harry Knowles -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

to be honest, i'm not sure whether the kick ass character will have any harmful effect on kids. it's definitely fun to watch, though, and the hit girl character is responsible for 90% of the movie's entertainment.

go see this at the scotiabank theatre. there is a scene at the beginning where the characters go see a flick and it's filmed at, wait for it, the scotiabank theatre. that caused a bit of hullabaloo at the theatre last night. :)

2. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

the preview for this makes it look really stupid and like its made for kids. but those pictures you posted are not something I would want my kids watching.

3. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

It's Rated R....

There's no way this is for kids.

I have read the book and I think Millar (at the time) was going for shock value, why else would he use the word "cunt" over and over again in a comic?

Kids need to be explained the difference between reality and fiction....but some parents are too lazy to do that nowadays.

Having said that, I saw 10 year olds sitting around me when I saw Zombieland in the theatres.

4. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Ebert has made a great resurgence into broader relevance over the past year or so, but he still has a reactionary curmudgeon streak that his take on Kick Ass seems to stem from. If you look back to the 70’s he had a similar reaction to the (now) feminist horror classic “I Spit On Your Grave” (all this from the guy who wrong Valley of the Dolls). His poo-pooing makes me want to see Kick Ass even more.

5. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Society is ill, and some of us choose to go places where we get to sit with others and watch that illness reflected back at us.

Pass.

6. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I have to say I do want to see this but the over the top gore will be totally a negative for me.

7. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

I want to see this.

8. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Get over yourself.

9. WestsideWax

Why does what I said rankle you so much?

10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Sure, WestsideWax was just saying he's not willing to see what he considers confirmation of his belief that society is ill - perhaps because he is part of society yet feels himself above it all, without reproach, without sin, etc. He is washing his hands of it. Hands clean. Stage left.

11. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

He had a similar reaction to Fight Club.

12. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

WestsideWax can Base Jump from the top of his horse.

13. WestsideWax

Never once implied that (as you're attempting to do), just that I try to exercise a certain selectiveness when it comes to what I allow my senses to ingest. Having said that, I'm still perusing this board on a semi-regular basis, so I'm obviously not out of the muck just yet. :D

It's not like I'm trying to take your hyper-violent film away from you. Go ahead and watch it two times for all I care, I'm sure you'll get a real buzz out of it!

14. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

That's clever. Who did you steal it from?

15. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Made it up as far as I know.

16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

No kidding no one's going to take this ultraviolent film from me! They'll have to take it...from my cold..dead...hands!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. WestsideWax

Hey, maybe when it's on vid you can bring it home for your kids to watch! Y'know, condition them to the harsh reality of life and all that...

18. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

How do you know that Kick Ass isn't a satirical take on the infantilization of youth culture and the "violence" is more parody than outright indulgence? You know there are a lot of thought-provoking and progressive readings that can be made from hyper-violent films? I mean, look at A Clockwork Orange, considered a classic, even a masterpiece by many. Sure, Kick Ass probably isn't in the same league, but I don't know because I haven't seen it.

19. WestsideWax

That's great. You go ahead and explain that to the majority of the audience that thought "IT WAS SOOO COOL WHEN THAT LITTLE GIRL PLUGGED THAT GUY RIGHT IN THE SKULL!!!"

Oh yeah, for the record, I also think Tarantino is an emotionally stunted juvenile.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  20. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I wasn't referencing Tarantino, the only reference I provided was Kubrick, but you ignored it. What is really problematic is that you seem to think you're above the audience and that they don't have the faculty to make their own readings. Ebert and company have been wringing their hands of what they perceive to be "excessively" violent films for decades now, and in many cases those films that sparked such a reaction went on to be considered modern classics (Halloween, Fight Club etc.)

You're falling into the same trap (although you haven't even seen the film in question) of denying the audience that reading. There is much to be said about the role of screen pleasure in observing representations of violence that don't all come wrapped up with the predetermined conclusion that "society is ill"

I'm speaking of the works of Laura Mulvey, Carol Clover and Isabel Pinedo, that latter of which argues that, "the [violent] film is a contradictory form that must be understood in all its complexity lest we misinterpret popular culture or underestimate its subversive potential" (Pinedo 1997).

Seems that you've already made up your mind without even a viewing. So why am I bothering?

21. WestsideWax

So society isn't ill?

Huh...

22. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

If you want violent gore just watch something in the new fangled Torture genre.

23. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Hostel 2

24. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Japan has reached a level of gore in film that North America will never touch.

25. WestsideWax

Only because they've reached a level of repression that North America...well, never say never.