• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ken from Utah on Jeopardy

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
they finish tournaments on wednesdays now? i demand continuity.
They gave out the $100,000 and $50,000 and $25,000 prizes,I remember that. And last night I watched because Ken Jennings was back on. I think the schedule was maybe changed due to the US Thanksgiving weekend.

Cheers ... Ian :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deevah

TRIBE Member
THIS GUY LIVES IN MY BUILDING! I hope he kicks ken's ass!

Who is Mr. Jeopardy's threat from the North? Answer: After tonight, this man could be one step closer to stealing Ken Jennings's TV title

By OLIVER MOORE

Friday, May 13, 2005 Updated at 5:48 AM EDT

From Friday's Globe and Mail

A blazing-fast finger and his trademark black "intimidator suit" have helped push Torontonian Lan Djang into the final rounds of Jeopardy! Ultimate Tournament of Champions.

The suit has been ever-present during his recent streak of victories, a superstitious boost for his confidence. But the stakes are getting higher each round and the public won't know until tonight whether Mr. Djang's personal talisman helped propel him to a 10th victory.

A victory tonight would put Mr. Djang in a group of six finalists. One more win and he will secure a spot in a match later this month against Jeopardy! king Ken Jennings, the most successful contestant in the game show's history.

Mr. Djang has worn the suit for five consecutive Jeopardy! appearances, since buying it at the landmark Tom's Place store in Toronto's Kensington Market. He bought it on the advice of a friend who wears the same suit when he fires people. When he barely squeaked through an earlier game, he began to believe in its lucky charm.

Even Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek, who hails from Sudbury, Ont., took notice, saying " 'It must have been the suit, Lan, because you made it,' " Mr. Djang recalled.

"I actually talked to him about it during one of the off-camera moments and he remembered Tom's [Place]."

In keeping with his contract, the health-policy analyst could not say if he wins in the episode that was taped earlier, but airs tonight. However, he mused about what he might do, should he make it to the final round of the tournament.

"I'd certainly think about retiring if I reach the final, because even if you lose you get [$250,000] on top of the money you've won, so that's at least [$350,000]," he said.

But the real goal involves getting to the final round and trouncing Mr. Jennings. And the overall prize of $2-million (U.S.) would give him the luxury of pursuing a quirky dream: "I'd like to do a reality show with Ken, touring small towns and beating people at trivia," Mr. Djang said. "It'd be like [the Paris Hilton series] The Simple Life,but we'll call it The Complicated Life."

Even without the big prize, he has already paid off most of the mortgage on his downtown condo with earlier winnings and looks forward to working a lot less if he makes it farther in the tournament, dubbed the "quest for Ken."

For years, the game show had a five-game limit, after which winners were given their prize money and sent home. Removing that barrier led to the domination of Mr. Jennings, who won 74 consecutive games and raised the ire of some who'd been stopped at five victories.

Those criticisms are being addressed with the current tournament, which pits 20 years worth of five-time champions against each other in a bid to find the two best. This pair will meet Mr. Jennings in a special match slated to run May 23-25.

Mr. Djang was one of 150 five-time winners invited by Jeopardy! to compete in the tournament. He won in his first two appearances. Tonight is his third.

The pressure has been building, but Mr. Djang said this week that his experience on the show calmed the worst of his nerves. He is studying hard and practising his clicking speed, which he has measured at about a sixth of a second. He watches all the Jeopardy! episodes he can and carries around a notebook, in which he writes down facts he needs to look up.

He knows that the competitive standard is much higher now than it was in his earlier appearances on the show (in 2001), and he takes the game far more seriously.

"When I went on the first time, I barely studied at all," he said. "The only things I looked up were American subjects, because I didn't want to be burned for being Canadian."

Most of his social life got put on hold during his recent run on the show, he said, as he spends a lot of his time studying up on subjects that, for the most part, don't really interest him.

"As for television, I watch only Jeopardy!," he said. "I've successfully fought off my video-game addiction but have got addicted to the Jeopardy! home game."

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Tonight and tomorrow nite - days 2 & 3 of the $2 million dollar tourney final.

Ken and the other two are all within $2000 of each other after Day 1. It's still a game. Ken's in second.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

defazman

TRIBE Member
he's still in second, but the winner tonight was the only one to get Final Jeopardy, so he's up by something like $12k.

I've never felt stupidder than watching tonights episode. Those three guys are super fast and uber smart.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
he's still in second, but the winner tonight was the only one to get Final Jeopardy, so he's up by something like $12k.

I've never felt stupidder than watching tonights episode. Those three guys are super fast and uber smart.
word. I have never seen a harder, more obscure round than tonite's double jeopardy. The category on isthmuses was head-shaking...hadn't even heard of half of the places.

deevah

TRIBE Member
Former Jeopardy! champ calls Trebek a robot

New York — Jeopardy! ace Ken Jennings, who won $2.5-million (U.S.) during a 74-game winning streak in 2004, has a few unkind words to say about the show -- and dapper Sudbury-born host Alex Trebek.

"I know, I know, the old folks love him," Jennings writes in a recent posting on his website. "Nobody knows he died in that fiery truck crash a few years back and was immediately replaced with the Trebektron 4000."

Jennings also takes aim at the show's "effete, left-coast" categories and "same-old" format.

In a "correction" on Monday, Jennings offers an apology of sorts.

In this photo provided by Sony Pictures Television, software developer Ken Jennings from Salt Lake City, Utah, right, poses with Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek on the set of the show Tuesday, July 13, 2004, in Culver City, Calif. (AP)

"We regret the insinuation that Mr. Alex Trebek is a robot. . . . Mr. Trebek's robotic frame does still contain some organic parts, many harvested from patriotic Canadian schoolchildren, so this technically makes him a 'cyborg,' not a 'robot.' "

After reports of his comments appeared in the media Tuesday, Jennings countered on his website that his letter was meant to be "a humour piece."

"For the record: I've loved Jeopardy! since I was a kid, as anyone who talks to me for about five minutes knows. Making goofy jokes about TV shows isn't 'bashing.' I believe it's the whole reason Al Gore invented the Internet."

A call by The Associated Press to a Jeopardy! spokesman wasn't returned.

The AP also attempted to reach Jennings through a Los Angeles-based agency that represents him.

Jennings also responded Tuesday to people who posted comments on his website's message board, calling them "humour-impaired sock puppet users."

man_slut

TRIBE Member
"For the record: I've loved Jeopardy! since I was a kid, as anyone who talks to me for about five minutes knows. Making goofy jokes about TV shows isn't 'bashing.' I believe it's the whole reason Al Gore invented the Internet."

I like this guy.

Adam

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
"We regret the insinuation that Mr. Alex Trebek is a robot. . . . Mr. Trebek's robotic frame does still contain some organic parts, many harvested from patriotic Canadian schoolchildren, so this technically makes him a 'cyborg,' not a 'robot.' "
<3

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders