1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Kathy Brown should be shot

Discussion in 'Techno Room' started by The Truth, Jan 10, 2005.

1. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

For adding the vocal "Stronger On My Own" to the already horrid version of "Strings of Life" by Soul Central thats on Defected Records

Derrick May should ahamed of himself for allowing that!

http://classic.juno.co.uk/IP/IF166820-01.htm

2. vveerrgg

vveerrgg TRIBE Promoter

ouch!.......

that one hurts

3. why not

why not TRIBE Member

well, i like the soul central re-working of the track - it's totally revived the song in a lot of different scenes over the past year.
    incidentally, does anyone know when it came out?
    i have a version of it on white label that says Strings Of Life 2001, which i think my girlfriend may have actually got from Derrick May, or at least picked it up in Detroit back then. i didn't hear anyone play it though until the past year and a half.

not sure about the vocal, but i don't hate it.
    the song is so garage now anyway with the jazz piano solo, it kind of makes sense to stick a big screaming vocal on it.
    i'd probably play it, but then again i'm kind of a cheesy DJ.

4. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

I can't even believe those losers call themselves "SOUL Central"...they (and Kathy Brown) purely did it for the money...pure souless crap!

5. why not

why not TRIBE Member

well, since they put the instrumental out in 2001, and it didn't start selling until recently, i kind of doubt they did it for the money.

who puts out a dance single to make money anyway?

it's not even that different from the Mayday original - as far as i can tell they just added the piano solo.

regardless, it made it possible to play that tune again, and i've seen many big name DJs destroy rooms this year with the instrumental.

still not sure about the vocal, but it's not that bad (unless you hate house music, which makes me wonder why you'd be listening to Strings Of Life in the first place).

i just can't stand it when people continually talk about other people selling out - THERE'S ALMOST NO MONEY IN DANCE MUSIC, THERE ARE MUCH BETTER WAYS TO SELL OUT.

just accept that these guys wanted a cheesy garage version of the track, so they made one. it became an unexpected hit, so they had an excuse to do a vocal version.
    who cares?

if they were living in mansions and writing jingles for McDonalds, that would be selling out.
    doing a house version of Strings? not selling out.

6. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

It did not come out in 2001..it came out in 2003 on Whistlebump Records..a white may have floated around for a few months prior

I'd don't know I'd call it a "sellout" as Soul(less) Central were nothing before anyway but its definitley for the money

Also, If you're talking about money..that track is set to become Defected's highest seller ever....

The only reason why tracks get constantly remixed and re-released, is to milk every ounce at them..I also blame Mr May for that..I guess he lost a lot money on Movement

CLASSICS SHOULD NOT BE REMIXED!

PLAY THE ORIGINAL!!

7. why not

why not TRIBE Member

the original wasn't getting played, so why not update it?
    updating classics is a huge part of the history of this music, you can't discount it as a valid part of the culture.
    there would be no house or techno if it weren't for revising the past.

and since i have the white right here, i can definitely says it came out in 2001. interestingly, this version actually says derrick may, and only mentions Soul Central if you look at the writing in the margins, or realise what the SC in the code means.

Defected will probably make a lot of coin from it, and hopefully some of it will get back to May, Soul Central, and Kathy Brown.
    so what?
    who wouldn't want to have a hit?
    regardless, no one is going to retire off of this, no matter how big it gets.
    this ain't hiphop.

i understand you don't like the remixes, but that doesn't mean the people who did it are sell-outs, it just means that they have different tastes than you.

i'm thankful for it, because i can finally play one of my favourite classics and have a younger crowd actually respond.
    before this version got big, you could only play it for an older crowd, and a very particular older crowd at that.

8. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

C'mon folks, Danny Krivit is far from soul-less, he is an amazing house Dj and did an amazing rework of Strings of Life. Moreover Martjin Ten Velden and Mark Knight are not fly by night producers, they are quite good in their own right and did some of the best tracks I heard in 2004.

If Soul Central were nothing before then they started off with a bang! Recruiting the above producers to remix Strings of Life and putting it out is a stroke of genius, and it takes balls to pay for a big track like that and release it as your first release on a label. They took a chance and it paid off.

Classics should not be remixed? C'mon what year are we living in again?

9. why not

why not TRIBE Member

so do you know the story of the track?
    was krivit involved from the beginning, or did he just do the recent(ish) re-edit?
    why is my version from 2001?

i can see not liking it if you're a strict techno head who hates house, but what kind of real techno head doesn't realise how the two relate?
    and what kind of dance music fan thinks that classics shouldn't be remixed? it would be a very small genre if other people thought that way.