• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Kaskade @ Fluid

tobywan

TRIBE Member
I arrived a little after 1, and suffice to say that the crowd overall wasn't a "typical" Kaskade crowd...however, I stopped a few tribers in the place, like psyrel, party tom, jive, big cheese, etc...

Kaskade came on right at 1:30, and proceeded to drop his signature sound for a few tracks, including his remix of Morales' Here I am, before getting into some harder, funkier stuff...I stayed only till about 2:30ish...the crowd was thinning out, and as I said, not his ideal place to play...I had a great time, and am still enjoying my night...what an adventure it's been!

cheers to everyone

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
I had a blast last night.
Opening DJ held it down tight, got the crowd movin, played himself a pretty good set (aside from one massive wreck due to technical issues). The place was going off to the vocal bumpy tunes he was throwing down. Every once in a while he'd let it lull by playing something a little more deep, but he read the crowd really well and brought it back every time.
Kaskade come on around 1:30 and assaulted the floor with some huge bouncy, funky tunage. His sound was all over the place with Trance, Bossa Nova, Latin, Funk influences. Never heard the guy before, but I was pretty impressed. Didn't stick around for too much of his set as it had been a long long long day, but I enjoyed it, and the crowd seemed to be feeling it.

The crowd was good for the most part. Met (briefly) this gorgeous Australian girl who couldn't believe he was playing in such a small club, as apparently he sells out big venues in the land down under.
As for the club itself, it's okay. The lighting is sorta laughable, especially with the lighting guy standing next to the DJ in the booth and having to reach up to the ceiling to trigger the fog machine. Pretty low budget. Sound is alright for the size of room actually. I didn't leave deaf, but I was never in a spot where I couldn't hear the tunes clearly.
One thing that made me a little uneasy was the security on the way in. We just got waved in, no search, no pat down, nothing. Meanwhile, in the other room is a full blown hip-hop night. Given what happened at the Phoenix less than 2 months ago, you think a quick once over on each patron would be in order. I didn't see any trouble break out, but there was definitely two very different crowds right next door to each other (you can walk from one room to the other freely).

All in all, good time, good people, good fun.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
i was expecting the crowd to be alot worse then they actually turned out to be, so that was nice.

music was solid, really solid. rolled up as soon as he got on, no line, no pat down, speakers were set up weird so it was louder in some spots, less in others. but i mean if your not a little bitch with shit like that (like i am), you still woulda had a good time. shitty bartenders

overall 7/10, mos def worth the 20 bones

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
Holy jesus christ on a pieece of toast!! :eek:

I didn't even know Kaskade was capable of playing like that.

Got there around midnight and the crowd in the house room was noticeably sparse. Guess a lot of the regular house people were scared off by the venue. Waiting til 1:30 was a bit trying but thankfully there were a few of you around to socialize with!

The first bit of his set seemed to be a "best of Kaskade" theme and got the place really moving. The 2nd half was just pure sweet house tunes that had me grinning ear to ear. In fact, at one point I had to use the washroom and kept waiting for him to play just 1 crappy tune.... which never happened and I ended up rushing off to what surely had to be the world's tiniest bathroom stall.

He finished at 4 and was quite gracious meeting with the fans after. The only downside was the noticeable humming in my ears after but oh well, it was worth it.

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HaliBubba
nope, that was an impromptu set dropped by Kai Alce for those lucky enuff to catch it.
just curious ... was Kai's set impromptu because Kaskade was slated to play at Elm and didn't show for whatever reason?

:confused:

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
THAT SHOW WAS HOT!!!! i just want to say...i danced for 4 HOURS WITHOUT DRINKING OR ANYTHING. Kaskade FULLY SURPRISED me and i'd go see him again ANY TIME.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HaliBubba
nope, that was an impromptu set dropped by Kai Alce for those lucky enuff to catch it.
that's who that was :D

fuck man was he on point or what? went right there after kaskade got off the decks and my ace boy was running things tight.

mak'er a laker ? i dunno 'bout that but still, i had fun

any more info on this kai alce dood?

sam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Big Cheese

any more info on this kai alce dood?
Bio from his website:

Born in New York, Kai Yuri Alce spent his early years on the island of St. Croix amidst the sounds of the Caribbean. His parents moved back to NY just in time for young Kai to experience the birth of hip-hop, a movement he associates with the beginning of his relationship with music independent of that of his parents. While seeing Kurtis Blow perform at a nearby school may indeed have influenced him to delve further into what was slowly becoming his passion, the strains of his Mother's soca and his Father's jazz can still be heard in the tracks Kai spins today. Still, as a true child of the 70s this DJ's penchant for airy vocals and soulful sound exposes his disco roots.

After moving to Detroit in 1980 Kai began listening to 'Electrifying Mojo', as well as The Wizard AKA Jeff Mills. When the 'Music Institute' opened in Detroit in 1987, it quickly became the city's premier underground dance music location. Kai began working there at the age of 16 and subsequently witnessed the evolution of house alongside it's most formidable DJ's: Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, D. Wynn, Alton Miller, and kin Chez Damier. Among the benefits of working at the club was Kai's easy access to the studios as they created such hits as Innercity's 'Goodlife' and Rhythim is Rhythim's 'It is what it is'. Surround by such mastery one can't help but be inspired.

After completing high school, Kai moved to Atlanta to attend Morehouse College. Having maintained contact with relatives in Florida, he was prepared for the obscurity of the house scene in Atlanta. Whether out of saintly benevolence or mere concern for his own sanity, Kai set out to cultivate it. He began spinning at Club Velvet while still attending college, and it was simply a matter of time before he had set the vibe at Atlanta's Traxx, Kaya, 688 Madhouse, Oxygen, Nomenclature, Ying Yang music café which paved the way for people such as India Arie, Donnie. He now is the main resident at DEEP: Saturday nights at world famous MJQ concourse which is now in it's sixth year, hosting the like of Phil Asher, Tedd Patterson, Jovonn & King Britt to name a few. It was at the latter that he decided to solidify a direct link between the South and D-town roots by creating "Deep Detroit House Sessions." So far Alce has hosted the likes of Chez Damier, Alton Miller, Brett Dancer, Moodymann, Mike Huckaby and Theo Parrish. The success of these parties is acknowledged not only by the crowd, but also by the DJ's themselves, who often ask to come again soon.

Kai's aspirations continue to soar as he balances overseas tours, travelling most recently to Milan, with his various projects in Atlanta. Next he plans to begin producing his own tracks, which will stretch his contribution from not only spreading the word of house music across the world, but preaching it. This move will undoubtedly turn this tangible fever into a global pandemic.

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by eLeKTRon
just curious ... was Kai's set impromptu because Kaskade was slated to play at Elm and didn't show for whatever reason?

:confused:
i'm going to bet that Kai was the intended mystery guest for the mixed signals thing. the soulutions crew and them are relatively tight from what i gather.

i got to fluid around 3am (was DJing at the drake earlier), but the bouncer wouldn't let me in, saying they were going to close in 5 minutes.
should have gone to the mixed signals party, but i'd been to a lot of their parties recently so decided to give them a break.
i'm sure it was hot.

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
Same thing happened to me. arrived at 3:00 .. door staff said "sorry, no entry we're shutting down soon". Then i got a tip that Kaskade would be playing over on Elm. So I troddled over there and yup, there was a rockin party. trouble is, I don't know what Kaskade looks like, so I wasn't totally sure who was spinning. But thanks to the posts above, I now know.