1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Karma... anyone here really believe in it??

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by dvs, Oct 16, 2005.

1. dvs

dvs TRIBE Promoter

good or bad. any experiences you care to share?

d

2. Cheap Ego

Cheap Ego TRIBE Member

donut believe in it.

For Karma to exist, there has to be some kind of way to determine good vs bad on a level that is universal. Given the subjective nature of "good" and "bad", this is impossible. Therefore, it has no reason to exist.

Besides, who's to say that everything has to even out so perfectly all the time, anyway?

3. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

i like the idea of it but believe it in no more than the concept of heaven or hell

it gives me some satisfaction to believe the cosmos will seek revenge on assholes

plus passing off good karma never hurt me too much and makes my env't a happier one...can't argue w/ making the world a better place no matter how slight...

4. isoprax

isoprax TRIBE Promoter

everything is random

5. alma

alma TRIBE Member

K+

I do try to spin off goodness and politeness and courtesy and hopefully fun but I guess I don't put a name on it (except K+ if I'm online 'n' stuff). If I meet someone doing the same, I believe it's them freely wanting to do that, as opposed to my own vibes coming back to me.

K++

6. Cheap Ego

Cheap Ego TRIBE Member

I used to think that too. But then I read this.

7. xsre

xsre TRIBE Member

I sure do.

I'm interested in this one guy, and it's moving along slowly, and while we have no pretenses to exclusivity, I consider it bad karma for me to be with someone else. I had a chance for a good shag a few weeks ago, but I didn't do it out of respect for karma. It may be stupid, but I'm not taking any chances.

8. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Perfect way of putting it.

It's impossible for karma to exist...so it's a pretty silly concept to believe in.

9. dyad

dyad TRIBE Member

karma is our way of justifying the fact that we're happy when bad things happen to bad people

10. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

^^ hardly a perfect way to put it.

Totally disagree with most of you. There are some things in life you cannot prove, measure or totally put you finger on. Karma makes perfect sense to me. It's one of those things not worth arguing about because one cannot prove their points. You either believe in it or you don't. Not worth the debate if you ask me.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  11. El Diablo

El Diablo New Member

Yep. I believe in Karma. It's kicked my ass a few times.

12. dvs

dvs TRIBE Promoter

cynical? yes. funny yes. true? to some degree i guess but we're all guilty of that whether we believe in 'karma' or just feel he/she had it coming to them for whatever reason. is there really a cosmic balance and order to things? for every action a reciprocating or complimentary action?

as much as i'd like to belive in the concept (not that it would ever make me change my ways... i'll always go out of my way to help others and do what i think is right) i'm beginning to doubt it more and more...

of course, winning the lottery would totally change my perspective on the whole thing pretty darn quick! ;)

d

13. Prickly Pete

Prickly Pete TRIBE Member

I believe good things happen to good people... bad people have their share of problems already... they already have theirs...

14. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Ah, the ol' Christianity style of arguing...you can't prove me wrong, so I'm automatically right. That's such a cop out.
    Why does karma make sense to you? I like hearing other sides of an argument.

15. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

it makes sense because you can't prove it?

16. Caz

Caz TRIBE Member

Karma is a way of life, not a super-mysterious force that looks like air.

It's a way of "paying it forward" kinda. Dont fuck someone over and you have a better chance of not being fookered yourself.

To "believe" in it in a literal sense is ri-goddamned-diculous, but to live by respecting it's values? That's smart cookies

17. gollum

gollum TRIBE Member

I agree with most of what you said, except that I do believe it is possible to prove everything in life. Sometimes we just haven't yet come up with a way of measuring it yet.

Take for example the idea that science and religion are opposing. This doesn't actually hold water. Its more like science and Christianity/Catholocism are at opposition.

Most theoretical science is based on belief, and alot if not all of the the top theoretical scientists believe that there is something else out there, or else they couldn't be "theoretical" scientists.

My take on Karma (this theory works for lots of things) is that maybe karma does not "exist" or did not exist at one time. But as an idea is aggregated throughout the ages through people it becomes believed. This gives the idea more credence and more people believe in it. This causes the idea to become real.

The concept that good and evil are subjective therefore universal, is interesting but doesn't matter. The idea of good and evil are specific for each individual. Yet each person's idea of good is similar to others, so their beliefs intersect. This gives more energy to the core belief of good (or evil, or good/bad karma).

There can be no "good", a singularity of laws or ideas that are "good", it is subjective or a continnuum, therefore it cannot be defined in a general sense. This is the basic problem with the tenets held by the catholic church; They believe their idea of "good" is universal, and anyone not abiding by their "Laws" are evil. So they go and denounce or kill those who don't believe what they believe.

</rambling> Sorry off on a little tangent...

18. dvs

dvs TRIBE Promoter

The Law of Karma

In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: `for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)...

d

19. isoprax

isoprax TRIBE Promoter

nothing there that can change years of thought. In the end no one knows for sure so I may as well stick with the opinion I've put together on my own after much too much reading, thinking and experience.

20. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

this pretty much how i feel about it.

21. gollum

gollum TRIBE Member

We also need to realize that this "Law of Karma" as stated is a written interpretation of what it is. By definition words cannot ever truly encompass the true essence of anything. Although poetry comes close, as was its intent.

This teaching from the Tao Te Ching can be used to understand..or not understand as the case may be...

22. Michlerish

Michlerish Well-Known TRIBEr

I believe that we have the power to create our own realties.

Therefore, if you believe that you have been a good person and deserve good things... that's what you shall receive.

If you know you've done a few bad things, and are hesistant to believe, or do not believe, that you deserve good things... you may find yourself seeming a bit "unlucky" at times.

By this logic, psycopaths would not suffer from karma.

23. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

You're right in thinking that whatever universal moral standards we try to apply in categorizing 'good' and 'bad' are for a large part social constructs, but they are constructs that use a morality which's more innate in many of us as it's foundation; which would point to a more natural origin for such terms. Putting that aside, instead of using the terms 'good' and 'bad' which clearly carry with them the limitations of human ignorance and bias, in considering Karma try thinking of it in terms of ‘positive’ and ‘negative’ which have a more naturally universal application.

That being said I have no argument to offer for or against the validity of Karma.

24. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

I did not say that I am automatically right. I just think we may not come to an agreement..so perhaps pointless.

I believe if you put good energy and vibes out to the universe you generally get it back..ie. if you are good and kind to others your life runs a lot smoother then if you were nasty and miserable person.

When you are miserable, unkind, dishonest and a nasty person...you get that kind of energy back.

*You get what you give*

25. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

this is how i look at it too.

not only because i want good things to come my way. but why wouldn't i try to be good to others around me? it's not like there's an abundant amount of people being nice to each other out there.

it gets more complicated, obviously. you have to live your life, and give yourself the things you feel you deserve. but by thinking about my actions and how they affect those around me, and exercising my best intentions, i know that i will have little to regret and that i will have lived a good life. it's my own personal karma i guess, knowing that i did my best and that i deserve to be happy for it.