1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Kanye "I'm the King of Pop Now"

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by solacevip, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Still waiting on that solitary quote from one of the people you listed. ...and now you’re doubling-down. Bring it shooter. Let’s see the savagery, ignorance or damage-caused via ANY of the people you cited.

Just one quote for comparison.

Don’t let me down.

2. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I'm not interested in comparing the political opinions of celebrities.

3. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Then why’d you name-drop four in a conversation about one, ya back-pedalling clodpate?

Back your shit up or zip it.

4. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

People with a platform say stuff to an audience and it matters? Like advertising? Politics? Religion? Your friend JamesM getting bant?

5. You didn't answer my question - which one of the celebrities you cited said anything comparable.

Instead, you're doing what you did before - deflecting with other questions.

At least you dumped the "but Hilary" alternate universe bullshit.

6. Bernnie Federko

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

We even got into the worst of her emails, all of it pedestrian politics.

No one can pretend with a straight face there was anything worth making a bigger deal than there already was about it.

No shoes dropped

8. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

The reason I name-dropped them is to point out how ridiculous any celebrity political input is - for any cause.

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

What if a celebrity says something correct? Shouldn't you evaluate arguments on their merits and not base your judgment on who is making the argument?

When clowns elected to Congress repeat ideological bromides that pass as policy, when lobbyists write the bills that make it to the floor - when media follow the horse race and not the stuff that matters, what vaunted hallowed place of "real policy debate" are we really protecting by asserting outsiders can't have a say based on their day job?

Isn't that kind of a pro-swamp attitude?

10. Bernnie Federko

All celebrity/Liberal/other Tribe opinions are invalid.

11. Any political input?

I don't t know about that. George Clooney's efforts to bring attention to the Sudan come to mind, as does Angelina Jolie's work for the U.N. as being beneficial or at the very least trying to bring attention to causes that wouldn't see the light of day in most Western Media.

A shit ton of artists that were talking and trying to fight for funding of AIDS research in the 80's, which the Regan administration was trying to avoid discussing whatsoever - was that ridiculous too in your eyes?

Put the broad brush down Bob Ross, and let's use a bit more than just black and white on your pallet.

But again. you didn't answer my question - what is it about you going "whataboutism" instead of directly answering what I asked?

12. The thing in understanding how damaging it is that someone who has the social media or in high visibility media situations is comparing what he's saying, versus someone like say, Cliven Bundy says.

Cliven Bundy basically believes that black people had it better when they were slaves or second class citizens. There are people who are dumb enough, in legion, to believe that guy alone and even go so far and spread his bullshit to anyone that will listen. They feel further validated by someone like Kanye West when he repeats the same thing, who has his own set of idiots to believe anything he says, regardless of what Kanye West's intentions could be. Is there overlap between the two? Probably not, until now. Regardless what West is intending to say, it comes off as a greatest hits modern Uncle Tom's Cabin, condensed into bite sized TMZ clips and Twitter quotes.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Kanye's got a lot farther reach with who pays attention to him than Cliven Bundy does.

13. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I agree with you all actually. It's because of their reach that they have an outsize impact, which amplifies their opinions which they're entitled to have, and they should use it responsibly.

14. Bernnie Federko

15. Bernnie Federko

Lololololololo

workdowntown likes this.
  16. Bernnie Federko

17. Bernnie Federko

18. That twitter hair pulling shit that went on yesterday - clear sign to me Kanye knows his album is going to suck more than that bullshit he put out in the summer.

If he's really serious about his mental health being in a delicate place, he should get the fuck off of twitter and most social media. It'd be a good, healthy start (and likely career suicide).

I know that's easier said than done with him being knee deep in Kardashianland, but if he really wants to get better, he needs to do it.

19. Bernnie Federko

Nah he's done

20. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt; I get the feeling if he breaks from the Kardashians, there's hope for a comeback. But it is entirely possible he's gone full Michael Jackson and completely lost touch with reality, which could be the case.