1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Kanye "I'm the King of Pop Now"

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by solacevip, Jul 30, 2009.

1. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Hey I just think it's worth remembering that time. Wasn't there some sort of "celebrity political group" that started campaigning?

2. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Now we see him continue trying to shift the conversation further away from his previous remark where he blanket-compared Hillary Clinton celebrity supporters to Kanye...

3. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Yes, you did.

Some would call it “deflection”. I call it “toddleresque defensiveness”. What is it that you’re trying to emote? What relevance do vague references to past schills have in a discussion on Kanye’s whack-ass comments about slavery being a choice?

Words matter.

...and just like EVERYBODY else, you need to own your own.

4. Bernnie Federko

Not if he has his way.

5. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Of course they do. But shouldn't Bernie also be considered for this when he deflects from any threads talking about Liberals and always writes about past PC mal-episodes?

6. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Can you make a tiny effort to focus? This thread is about Kanye. Most recently, about his comments on slavery. What the fuck do Bernie, Obama, the Clintons, or ANY other pol have to do with the topic at hand?

Your entire political rationale boils down to, “He just said this but remember when she said that”? This is the entirety of your breadth and depth as a thinking human being?

What’s your fucking point, shooter?

7. Again, the dumbest deflection shit and a false equivalence to boot.

8. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I don't agree with Kanye and I certainly don't believe slaves had any sort of choice. But I don't agree that anyone's even paying attention to him. He's the celebrity with the misinformed or incomplete information that adds to the noise. I was referencing the same effect during the 2016 election with celebrities doing the same for Clinton. Is that a deflection?

9. Bernnie Federko

Yes.

Stop with the broad strokes, own your fucking broad brush strokes like a man for once in your life on tribe.

10. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

It is. By definition. ...and if you don’t believe that half-wits from here to Timbuktu are swallowing what the fuck-tard pop-tart says, that’s another issue altogether. We’re not talking about Hillary Clinton or 2016 though, are we? We’re talking about Kanye.

We’re nearing halfway through 2018.

Hillary is - presently - of no consequence. ZERO. Done. She lost. Donald Trump is the President. None of his words, tweets or actions can be justified or explained away by “whatabout”. ...and neither can Kanye’s.

You follow?

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  11. Yeah, it is.

Dude, this not even remotely the same thing. The fact that you're doing this "but Hillary!" bullshit is an astounding example of being willfully ignorant and/or willfully misunderstanding the dialogue and the damage that Kanye West is doing towards perception of civil rights and enabling the worst sides of the far right. Where's the "Hillary" angle in all of this other than you wanting to change the subject of the conversation and providing some kind of stupid boogeyman to evoke as a means to change it?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

12. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Alright! I agree with you! Kanye's obviously too spoilt to be able to make the comparison between choice and slavery. This is why I don't pay attention to any celebrity opinion.

13. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Let me ask you this: if you think Kanye has such a political impact ( and I don't think he does) then what must you think of the potential impact of Madonna, George Clinton, Jay Z, and Katy Perry who supported Clinton? do you think people were "swallowing what the fuck-tard pop-tart says"?

14. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Holy shit-balls, son. I dunno what any of those people said during their pop-star endorsements of the candidate that ran against POTUS present. Enlighten me. You’ve thrown out 4 names. Give me a quote from each that’s near as ignorant, damaging or savage as the one we’re discussing here. In fact, lemme make it simple for you. Just give me a quote from each.

Just one from one of them?

Fact is, people are swayed by those they admire, follow and respect. Especially younger folks. Please see “Tide-pods”.

You’re fucking KILLING me with your bullshit.

15. Any of those people you mentioned try to set back civil rights by using their celebrity? I know in the fictional universe that you're terrified of where Hilary won and everything would be worse than what we're living in now, they all did. But in this reality, the one you're living in now, have they any of them said anything approaching the ignorance and damage of saying that slavery was a choice in a similarly inflammatory political environment like today?

If you're actually believing what you're saying, you've really got a distorted view of the world and a stunning ignorance of the world outside of your own.

16. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I see your Kanye Asinine Slavery Debacle and raise you one Lena Dunham Abortion Travesty

17. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Bahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!

18. Yeah, but Dunham can't spit bars, yo.

19. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Neither can this ass-hat...

“My apologies, are you into astrology/Cause I’m tryin’ to make it to Uranus”

“I keep it 300 like the romans”

“They be ballin in the D-League/I be speaking Swaghili”

“And if life’s a bitch, bet she suck my dick, huh
    And I bet she fucked the whole clique, huh”

“I am a god…
    So hurry up with my damn massage!
    In a French ass restaurant…
    Hurry up with my damn croissants!”

***There are actually people who refer to this twat as a genius. ...and many of them are right around voting age.

20. This is where I disagree with you. I do respect the artist that he is - I do believe that the impact he made on hip hop is huge, both from a production standpoint and from an MC standpoint.

I still think he's a fucking idiot otherwise when it comes to sharing his views and how he does it. But I can separate the artist from the person when it comes to him (just in light of what's been said, he's not going to see a dime of my money when it comes to future projects - regardless of if this is a publicity stunt for his new album or not). I view him the same way I see Picasso or Dali - a person whose work had a huge impact on culture and society, but we should also remember or at least be aware of what an absolute bastard and massive worthless cuntrag as far as a human being goes and treating others went. Debating the worth of their work in light of their own humanity - that's the tricky part that we all have to individually figure out.

I apologize if that sounds like bullshit semantics.

21. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

Not checking your mail on that. I just don’t get it. I guess someone has to explain what he did for hip-hop to me. ...cause I don’t hear it or see it. Never did. I get the production aspect, which is slick, like every other pop-tart bullshit out there. ...but I don’t see a difference between what Kanye does and what Kid Rock does. They rip shit off, rap or sing vapid bullshit over it and then hit the bank. Nice gig, if you can get it. By all means - shoot me a link to something brilliant and I will listen, wholeheartedly and try to see where the laurels come from.

There are still some seriously amazing voices and producers in the underground hip hop community that excel at the craft without complete rip-offs (not trashing sampling here), auto-tune, and reaching cliches. They actually say something.

I guess I just don’t hear it and I don’t believe the hype.

School me. Sort me out with some reccomendations. :)

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya gimme the best Kanye too Im also unconvinced

23. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is I think his best - lyrically and the music videos he did. The guy's got vision - the way he planned the visuals for the video Power particularly and how he recreated it for the stage. Again, that's my favorite. A lot of people would cite Graduation or College Dropout, which are both really amazing albums, and really ahead of their time in context of what was going on in hip hop at the time. I think Yeezus is not his best work, but Black Skinheads (the track Mondieu cited with the 300 line) I thought was a great track - and had Rick Rubin involved, there's also a bunch of other songs on there that are good, but it's a darker and not very even album. 808 and Heartbreaks was a really cool experiment in vocoder rnb. I'm not a fan of that last album Life of Pablo - I find that it's a mess. It is production that is first and foremost Kanye's strength - I don't think that comparing him to a modern Quincy Jones would be exaggerating things. His lyrics have gone from being socially conscious to now being more of a stream of consciousness

The best example of how big his impact on music as a whole that I can think of is consider the impact he made with Stronger - using A-Trak as his DJ and crossing over with the Daft Punk sample. Both he and Daft Punk benefited enormously from the work they did, and topped the charts for weeks. Watch the MTV performance and you'll see that he knows how to perform on stage and deliver a memorable performance. Or the use of Superfly as a sample with Touch the Sky and having Lupe Fiasco deliver probably the best work of Lupe's career. He surrounds himself with smart and very talented people, much like Prince did. His work with Common also is some really strong collaborative work and also his work with Frank Ocean.

Production wise, I think most recently Watch the Throne with Jay-Z would be a highlight of showcasing what he can do behind the decks as well as lyrically.

He's not everyone's cup of tea. I wasn't a big fan of his at first, but I kind of see him being a bit ahead of the curve, or riding it closely. If he's not creating it, he took work that was visionary and repurposed it for his own - he used the director from one of Justice's videos and used it for one of his own videos for Graduation. I think that the boastfulness that goes along with his lyrics is a turn off for many, but really, that always part of hip hop, wasn't it?

Mondieu likes this.
  24. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Hey all their "political opinions" are ignorant, damaging or savage as the one we’re discussing here. The fact they are even a topic of conversation is itself questionable.

25. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

So it's bad because you don't agree with what Kanye said? "set back civil rights"? is that the appraisal and is it accurate? why would a pop star's opinion mean so much to you? and could a pop star just "say something" and cause such a huge social relations impact? has that ever happened?