• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Kanye "I'm the King of Pop Now"

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
http://thesuperficial.com/2009/07/kanye_west_im_the_king_of_pop.php

"You know everyone loves and respects Michael but times change. It's so sad to see Michael gone but it makes a path for a new King of Pop and I'm willing to take that on," so he told Scrape TV.

On what makes him deserve the title, Kanye said, "There's nobody who can match me in sales and in respect so it only makes sense for me to take over Michael's crown and become the new King." The rapper then added, "First there was Elvis [Presley], then there was Michael, now in the 21st century it's Kanye's time to rule. I have nothing but respect for Michael but someone needs to pick up where he left off and there's nobody better than me to do that. I am the new King of Pop."

Furthermore, Kanye reportedly has reached out to the Jackson family to obtain official permission to use the title but so far received no response from them. It is believed that the family is still mourning over Michael's death.

-------

Solacevip says, "He ain't nothin' but a gay fish!"

AshG

well at least he's consistent. some of his other memorable quotes:

“I realize that my place and position in history is that I will go down as the voice of this generation, of this decade, I will be the loudest voice”

“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.”

“Come on now! How could you be me and want to be someone else?”
“In America, they want you to accomplish these great feats, to pull off these David Copperfield-type stunts. You want me to be great, but you don’t ever want me to say I’m great?”

“…my music isn’t just music- it’s medicine.”

“If I was more complacent and I let things slide, my life would be easier, but you all wouldn’t be as entertained. My misery is your pleasure.”

bolded as my fav of the bunch

AshG

And you guys are doing exactly what he wants...

Talking about him.
that doesn't bother me terribly much.
i find him humourous and i'm quite sure that's not his intention anyway, though if he did, i'm be the first to give him kudos.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
oh man this is hilarious. he also said if the bible were written today he would be one of the characters in it.

"I bring up historical subjects in a way that makes kids want to learn about them. I'm an inspirational speaker."I changed the sound of music more than one time... For all those reasons, I'd be a part of the Bible. I'm definitely in the history books already."

but my favourite is how pissed he got on his blog about the bonarroo thing where his glow in the dark show got pushed back until the morning

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
He's doing what Oasis did when they were at the top of their game. A few years of declining relevance and he will start behaving normally again.

acheron

TRIBE Member
when is the Pepsi Commercial and resultant hair-burning for Kanye?

I have always looked forward to this day.

defazman

TRIBE Member
Update 07/30:
Scrape TV wrote at the bottom of its page, "All content herein should be considered rumor or truth based solely on your perspective". This interview itself hasn't been verified by Kanye West.

Right now Scrape TV is also reporting as main stories:

- Silver Bullets Largely Ineffective Against Werewolves
- McDonald's Considering Adding Soylent Green to Menu

Sources people, sources.

ian

TRIBE Member
It's doubly funny because "king of pop" was MJ's title for himself. When reported in the media it usually had a "self proclaimed" bit in front of it :)

Stan

TRIBE Member
http://idolator.com/5258312/despite-what-youve-heard-kanye-west-is-not-campaigning-for-king-of-pop

Despite What You’ve Heard, Kanye West Is Not Campaigning For The “King Of Pop” Title

THE RUMOR: In the wake of Michael Jackson’s death, Kanye West has been lobbying people, trying to convince them that he should take over the title of “King Of Pop.” (Who are these people? Who knows? Not music critics, ha ha!)

TRUTH THRESHOLD: 0.54%.

LIKELY TRUTHS: Sure, Kanye has a big ego. He even adds singsong verses to others’ songs about that fact. And you can’t deny his Jackson influence.

LIKELY FALSEHOODS: But really? All this fuss over a title that was invented in the first place? Come see how your dubious rumor sausage gets made!

The item about West’s lobbying Jackson’s family actually went up shortly after the pop star’s passing. But it wasn’t until yesterday that it was picked up by Bossip, and the rest of the gossipsphere fell in line. The damning quote:
“You know everyone loves and respects Michael but times change. It’s so sad to see Michael gone but it makes a path for a new King of Pop and I’m willing to take that on. There’s nobody who can match me in sales and in respect so it only makes sense for me to take over Michael’s crown and become the new King,” said West. “First there was Elvis, then there was Michael, now in the 21st century its Kanye’s time to rule. I have nothing but respect for Michael but someone needs to pick up where he left off and there’s nobody better than me to do that. I am the new King of Pop.”
All links to this story lead back to Scrape.TV, which I’d never heard of before today, and which seems to fashion itself as a not-as-succinct-or-witty Onion. To wit, a few other headlines from the site:
“MCDONALD’S CONSIDERS ADDING SOYLENT GREEN TO MENU”
“FRITO-LAY SUED OVER IRREGULARLY SHAPED POTATO CHIPS”
“STUDY FINDS SILVER BULLETS LARGELY INEFFECTIVE AGAINST WEREWOLVES”
“COMEDIANS AT A LOSS WITH PALIN RESIGNATION”

OK, so that last one might be sorta true (although she certainly is providing fodder for the more resourceful funny people out there). But are you really going to believe a story containing this straight-faced discussion of “blood monarchies” in relation to totally made-up titles:
“Monarchies can pass to non-blood relatives but only in very rare circumstances. In the case of musical monarchies it is really just a marketing title and has nothing to do with a ruling class or managing people or organizational structures. There really isn’t a need to declare anyone else the new King because it isn’t a real position but I guess if West wants to claim the title then all power to him,” said Scrape TV Entertainment analyst Tracey Temple. “It is a little soon to claim that title and that may irritate a few people. It’s not like the people will revolt and the kingdom will collapse if someone isn’t right there to pick up the sceptre and continue the rule. I’m sure the Jackson family won’t be too happy with the news.”
–from a site that has this disclaimer at the bottom of every page, “All content herein should be considered rumour or truth based solely on your perspective”? Come on, Internet. At the very least, can’t you wait until Kanye goes all-caps on this story before you get your reblogging knickers in a twist?

AshG

Update 07/30:
Scrape TV wrote at the bottom of its page, "All content herein should be considered rumor or truth based solely on your perspective". This interview itself hasn't been verified by Kanye West.

Right now Scrape TV is also reporting as main stories:

- Silver Bullets Largely Ineffective Against Werewolves
- McDonald's Considering Adding Soylent Green to Menu

Sources people, sources.
i'm not sure whether to give them props for coming up with something believable regarding kanye, or to nay-say them for the same reason.

KingsOfLateNite

TRIBE Promoter
I'm amazed at how many people are actually analyzing this!

Let him be the king of pop. Pop music as we see it right now is a steaming pile of sh**!!!

ENJOY YOUR kingdom WITH GAGA....

Pop's never been worse, minus lil jon's hot minute

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
I'm amazed at how many people are actually analyzing this!

Let him be the king of pop. Pop music as we see it right now is a steaming pile of sh**!!!

ENJOY YOUR kingdom WITH GAGA....

Pop's never been worse, minus lil jon's hot minute
The above post contains all kinds of awesomeness!