• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Kananaskis - what's there to do?

juice

TRIBE Member
Anyone familiar with Kananaskis and the surrounding region? Anything super exciting to do (besides skiing)? We're talking late February here between the 25th and the 28th. Rolling around in the snow might just be the best option.

juice

TRIBE Member
My GF is speaking at a medical conference there. Was looking to get some ideas on fun stuff to do.

Mingster: It's in Alberta like an hour outside of Calgary.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
seriously, one of the best boarding/skiing conditions you've ever seen.

it's sick out there right now (pretty warm and toooons of snow)

bitchass

TRIBE Member
There are two ski hills in Kananaskis - Nakiska and Fortress. Nakiska is where the 1988 Winter Olympics downhill events were held and has decent natural and manmade condtions - pretty consistent. Fortress has some dodgy old chairlifts and t-bars but can have incredibly good (and bad) days depending on the snow. I've been there when there was literally feet of untouched powder inbounds and other times when blizzard conditions had us trapped on the backside for a couple hours. I love Fortress :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dj umlaut

TRIBE Member
If you're staying at the Delta Lodge, there are a couple of great hikes into the mountains - probably the best is the Ribbon Falls trail, which scoots right back behind the resort itself, although it might not be all that accessible in winter. There's fortress mountain for skiing (http://www.skifortress.com/) and that sort of thing, but if this is a decent-sized conference, there will undoubtedly be a bus trip organized to take people to see Banff and Lake Louise, which is less than an hour away. That's a nice spot in late February, so don't miss it if you have a chance to go. And if you're looking for a decent place to drink and party at the Delta Lodge, go to the pub (I forget what it's called, but it's easy to find) where the staff hang out.