1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Kalkbrenner

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by Psyrel, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

My 3rd attempt to see him so I was determined to actually *see* him. Horribly pushy crowd up front & left. There's a huge difference in crowds between the Fri and Sat nights, I'd really hesitate on going back for a Friday night event now.

Simina was decent but I thought she played too hard for an opening set - downright big bass-heavy, tribally influenced tunes to end off on. But perhaps that was just because I was hoping Kalkbrenner would start off melodic. Anyways, he took over and kept up the momentum. The good - it was a downright entertaining and fun PA, he did play some amazing tunes and the crowd loved it. The bad - no flow whatsoever in his set, quite a few repeats, total dj grandstanding. Wish I could have stayed to see James Teej after, the 2 tracks I caught from him were quite good.

Would I go see Kalkbrenner again? Probably. But hopefully it'd be a dj set where he's more concerned with putting out a great set. Cause all the dj showmanship gets annoying after a while.

p.s. holy hot in there! Quite possibly as hot as the Speedy J night.

2. Thrill_House

Thrill_House TRIBE Promoter

You pretty much summed up all my thoughts about the evening in your reply, to me it was all the stop and starts he did in his set that really killed it for me, that and for a live set all he was really doing much of the night was playing with a couple of filters which got annoying after awhile. Still though it was definatley nice to finally get to see him and to hear him playing his own productions, Square One really gets my feets a movin'! I to wish I had stayed around to hear Teej as well, the few tracks that I did here from him before I split were pretty solid.