• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Justin Trudeau voted Leader of the Liberal Party

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
The statement released by the Conservative party in response to Justin Trudeau’s election as Liberal leader.

“We congratulate Justin Trudeau on becoming Liberal leader.

Stephen Harper has an Economic Action Plan that has created 900,000 new jobs since the recession, the best job creation record in the G-7. He’s lowered taxes, such as the GST, and increased support for families with measures like the Universal Child Care Benefit.

Justin Trudeau may have a famous last name, but in a time of global economic uncertainty, he doesn’t have the judgement or experience to be Prime Minister.”

Sooooo predictable...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Thing is Trudeau would have made a splash whenever this happened, I think however the paucity of exciting/galvanizing politicians in the Canadian scene is making this even more of a "thing"...

I think that the Trudeau name is a really polarizing one in the older demographics, where they lived through the PMship of his dad and out west, developed a deep and abiding hatred for the name... I seem to note a lot of scoffing when the younger Trudeau is mentioned in the older demographics, so I think the conservative messaging will resonate pretty well up there...

But in the lower/younger demographics that don't have that baggage I think Trudeau has a pretty clear route to dominance of every age group under 40 if he plays his cards right.

Maybe Team Blue needs to match hunk against hunk and get McKay out front for the Harper replacement!

acheron

TRIBE Member
Having the Westerners who hated his dad hate him, is fine - because they're the same people who produced Harper and will vote Conservative until someone pries the vote handle from their cold, dead hands.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yep and it's not like Trudeau is killing a liberal advantage in Alberta with his name - that's been a write off for all parties that don't have "con" or I guess, "rose" in their name..;) - it's just that Trudeau won't be the guy to change that.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Having the Westerners who hated his dad hate him, is fine - because they're the same people who produced Harper and will vote Conservative until someone pries the vote handle from their cold, dead hands.

Lovely divisive thinking.

Folks out here have good reasons(to them) for hating Trudeau.

He was very Ontario-Quebec centric as a PM, which isn't a very popular thing out here...and really, the regional politic game is a very serious problem on the whole for our country.

Plus, in my riding at least, there's really only 2 candidates to choose from: Conservative, or NDP.

Much of Sask seems to be like that. And NDP seems to be popular in the cities, whereas Conservatives are popular with the rural types.

If a politician could somehow rise above the divisive regional game...boy would that ever be good for the country. We could definitely use some unity, which your comment alludes to(to me).

acheron

TRIBE Member
Trudeau Sr. set the stage for the West's hatred for the Liberal party - in response, the West created the Reform party which then took over the PCs and became the Harper Conservatives.

Trudeau Sr. was not Ontario-Quebec centric, he was a Federalist - Quebec hated him just as much! Concentrating power in Ottawa as opposed to allowing the Provinces to dictate policy. One could argue that Harper has taken that even further by creating a government-by-ego so now none of the Provinces (to say nothing of anyone else in his party) has a say. Albertans were happy with this at the beginning, but now that they're starting to see how tenuous a resource-based economy can be, maybe they'll open up a bit to new ideas. This will be a very interesting election to be sure.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Lovely divisive thinking.

Folks out here have good reasons(to them) for hating Trudeau.

He was very Ontario-Quebec centric as a PM, which isn't a very popular thing out here...and really, the regional politic game is a very serious problem on the whole for our country.

Plus, in my riding at least, there's really only 2 candidates to choose from: Conservative, or NDP.

Much of Sask seems to be like that. And NDP seems to be popular in the cities, whereas Conservatives are popular with the rural types.

If a politician could somehow rise above the divisive regional game...boy would that ever be good for the country. We could definitely use some unity, which your comment alludes to(to me).

I'm not sure I read acheron's comment the same way but I think the fact you could and DID is legitimate, pointing out the legacy of some of the regional battles we have been fighting as a country in the last 50 years.

If Trudeau can't rise above it I think it will be partly his fault, but also partly our fault for not believing he could rise above it and by fitting everything into a pre-designed "regional outrage matrix". Trudeau can take some steps in the right direction but it will also be up to us as a public to not be suckered into the same old debates.

My worry is that it seems we are all very pleased to have the same arguments again, which is the vibe I was getting in the 40+ age ranges that I have talked to when Trudeau's name comes up.

I am hoping us younger folk can avoid having the same arguments as our parents just so we can feel grown up.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Myself I'm very curious to see how well Trudeau's concern for the environment will play out - can he win hearts and minds out west by reminding them just how retarded Harper's environmental/science policy has been for the country?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
wait a minute...

how many of you are almost 40 in here ???

i know many of the old skool partiers etc are getting close to that fine age and still think like most party kids did in their late 20's ... except for;

married
kids
house/mortgage
cottage
multiple cars
multiple homes
travelling
investments
daycare
where to get all the nicest things for your home(s)
pets
MOAR babies
exercise
diet
viewing drug use as disdainful and contemptuous and then getting all fucked up one nice and complaining about it for like 3 weeks.
arthritis
other people the same as you calling you old.
being annoying by childish behaviour when in public places.
etc
etc
etc

is Trudaeau 2.0 going to appeal the jaded party generation?

personally i think that someone inexperienced and willing to learn and make mistakes but with the end goal of actually taking out country out of the mess its in is a good thing. Shark Eyed Baby Eater needs to get replaced.

Him and our glorious leader Rob Ford need to just join CNN and fight dinkus strombopulous and leave the governing of people to those not willing to sell out canada to foreign investors whenever he gets the chance.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Justin and I are the same age... He can lead me wherever he wants I trust the guy. lol

Plus I have an 'investment' in Justin... some of you may recall this little nugget I found years ago while at summer camp:
368948549_7726a2a4e2_o.jpg

If Justin becomes PM this will instantly become more valuable to a Trudeauphile than it already is.

Really though if he does make it to Sussex Dr. I want to get an autograph from him or at the very least a photo of us with the thing. For the lulz

peko

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure I read acheron's comment the same way but I think the fact you could and DID is legitimate, pointing out the legacy of some of the regional battles we have been fighting as a country in the last 50 years.

If Trudeau can't rise above it I think it will be partly his fault, but also partly our fault for not believing he could rise above it and by fitting everything into a pre-designed "regional outrage matrix". Trudeau can take some steps in the right direction but it will also be up to us as a public to not be suckered into the same old debates.

My worry is that it seems we are all very pleased to have the same arguments again, which is the vibe I was getting in the 40+ age ranges that I have talked to when Trudeau's name comes up.

I am hoping us younger folk can avoid having the same arguments as our parents just so we can feel grown up.

He is not his father. They have VERY different leadership styles.

Lots of old timers (40+) whom I've been speaking to will totally vote for him. Lots of GenXers and 2.0 kids volunteered for him, so I think he has ALL cohorts covered as supporters.

I hope he kicks Harper's ass in Question period today and in the 2015 elections.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
If he gets out in front of legalizing the weed he will have won my vote.

Mine too. The boon to our economy alone would be huge.

Besides...I really would like to give a fresh face a chance to try out leading the country.

Harper's had his kick at the can, done a little good, and some bad-a-plenty, too.

I'm not the biggest liberal cheerleader...but then I'm not big on any political party. They all seem to have the same old schpeel...dead horses, beaten.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
wait a minute...

how many of you are almost 40 in here ???

i know many of the old skool partiers etc are getting close to that fine age and still think like most party kids did in their late 20's ... except for;

married
kids
house/mortgage
cottage
multiple cars
multiple homes
travelling
investments
daycare
where to get all the nicest things for your home(s)
pets
MOAR babies
exercise
diet
viewing drug use as disdainful and contemptuous and then getting all fucked up one nice and complaining about it for like 3 weeks.
arthritis
other people the same as you calling you old.
being annoying by childish behaviour when in public places.
etc
etc
etc

is Trudaeau 2.0 going to appeal the jaded party generation?

personally i think that someone inexperienced and willing to learn and make mistakes but with the end goal of actually taking out country out of the mess its in is a good thing. Shark Eyed Baby Eater needs to get replaced.

Him and our glorious leader Rob Ford need to just join CNN and fight dinkus strombopulous and leave the governing of people to those not willing to sell out canada to foreign investors whenever he gets the chance.

Justin is younger than me (although his dad was born the same year as mine).

Most of my friends (who are my age, as well as the youngin's) are huge supporters of Trudeau. People either loved or hated Pierre Trudeau. He had fanatic supporters (and equally fanatic haters). Women adored him. He was quite the Canadian sex-sybol in his day (even my mother, a Quebecer, was a devoted member of Trudeaumania -as it was called).

The majority of Quebecers were not so keen. Many of them thought he was a traitor. Yet he stood his ground. Even my father (a die-hard Conservative, who didn't like his politics, admired the man himself. My father once said that under Trudeau, Canada was a country you could no longer ignore. "We weren't boring anymore."

I think this is why the Trudeau name holds some romanticism for many. I just hope Justin can do it. I'm still concerned about his age, and not that I think he couldn't run the country if he has the right skills, but that any mis-step will be scrutinized to the nth degree (especially being a Trudeau). They could be his greatest assets or his biggest downfall. That's a heck of a lot of pressure.

The Conservative videos are laughable really (and smell of desperation).

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I want to like him but I don't appreciate his flip flop on the gun registry or the pipeline nor his willingness to talk to the ndp.

Hurray for a horribly split vote and another con win :/

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I want to like him but I don't appreciate his flip flop on the gun registry or the pipeline nor his willingness to talk to the ndp.

Hurray for a horribly split vote and another con win :/

I'm worried this is where it's going. I think he should have waited another election. A lot of NDP support is likely going to move the Liberals but they will still hold on to some of their gains and the Cons will slide in again.

I want to see the NDP go up against the Cons without a strong Liberal party to reduce their strength. Let's have that national conversation. Enough of the Cons getting in because their opposition splits the vote. That isn't Canada choosing it's leader.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
the cons got a majority because there was NO opposition and they were the only party capable of leading this country

ndp will drop back even further as they were a protest vote and their pandering to quebec is not helping them with their actual supporters

bloc will eat up seats from the ndp, libs are done like dinner but might get 2 more seats but they need a total overhaul if they ever want to become viable again. trudeau will not save them, just set them back

trudeau will have his ass handed to him by mulcair and harper. this is going to be spectacular!

oh yeah, no more money from votes....good luck with that ndp/libs

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
the cons got a majority because there was NO opposition and they were the only party capable of leading this country

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but that's only because there were piss poor choices in all three major parties.

I think you may be surprised. People are done with Harper and looking for something new. This is in his favour. I know you are a diehard Con, but most people aren't really diehard at all, myself included. I vote based on policies and what they can bring to the table (not if they are Con/Lib/NDP).

However, do I think he'll win the next election? Not sure. I think he'll make gains for the Liberal Party. I just hope no one expects him to win it all. I hope he doesn't expect it. If he does win it, kudos (and then he'll be really scrutinized), if he doesn't -but makes gains - I'll be looking forward to the next.