1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Justice Scalia says that bans on murder and sodomy legally similar....

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by el presidente Highsteppa, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Antonin Scalia Defends Legal Writings Some View As Offensive, Anti-Gay

So let me get this straight, sodomy (consensual) is the same as murder (non-consenual) because of "morality"?

2. erika

erika TRIBE Member

That's nuts. I guess the question not answered is whether his definition of sodomy is that of a consensual act or not.

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

it would be closer for him to say that euthanasia is similar to sodomy. Both are consensual acts, but both are illegal in many states due to "morality".

4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Remember when conservatives said that a homosexual judge should recuse himself from judgment on a gay marriage case cause he is "biased"?

Why isn't this the other side of that coin?

5. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps he was talking about consensual murder. By death!

6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

ya this morality shit lurks in the background of a lot of things... War on Drugs included...

There's this feeling I think - especially amongst religious and older demographics - that the law as it is has the character of morality imbued in each thing proscribed by it. So to the extent that something is immoral, our law is designed to punish for that. It's a very Christianist/paternalistic and sometimes even utopian view (that society can be moulded in to a more perfect moral standing). But at the core it's very simple: this set of rules here makes sense for me and my friends to live by, so they should fit for everyone else!

People who love others of the same sex, people who smoke pot - people who deviate from their deluded view of themselves and society - these people are marginalised in the law because these deviations are alleged to be moral, when really morality has nothing to do with it: the other is what it's all about!

7. I think what bugs me extra about Scalia is the condescending tone he uses to illustrate his "points" or his views. His interview on 60 Minutes about his ruling on the Gore vs. Bush decision was shocking in how he simply stated "get over it" instead of actually explaining his decision.