• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

just got back from a rockafella centar..

voytek

TRIBE Member
...and what a fucking x-mas nightmare. if i never liked this holiday season before, this was an overkill and a half. true, in a good company (best friends and a girl) it's totally doable, but if you add a million japanese tourists shooting pics in front of Rolex displays to russian trendies and hispanic street peddlers all in a tight square, it quickly becomes less about holiday fun and more about survival. honestly.

overall, my fave NYC borough is still Brooklyn - warm, with a proper vibe, chill places to visit and real people, though still a rough place if you don't know what is what. Manhattan, with a small exception of a few places in SoHo and Grenwich is just not for me - too many pissed off human failures poisoning the air with their shit, and too many clueless tourists pissing them off even more. Glimmers of human decency are rare and not enough to shed the overall impression that the post-911 NYC toghetherness is now long gone. to be honest, it doesn't bother me all that much - I kinda like it better when New Yorkers are assholes as a whole - it suits them better. and nowhere is that attitude more present than when driving on the streets of NYC. now, is that shit a challenge worthy of the best or what? for people that feel superior to the French they sure have a lot in common with them - the use of vehicles as weapons (the bigger the better) - notwithstanding.

for all the faults that I find with Gotham each year I come here, I still find this a fascinating and "spirited" place. The sunny warm weather helps in that respect, as does a presence of a loved one, and my Brooklyn and Jersey connection sure make it worth the 9hour drive (1.5 tanks of gas equalling $40 - no bad at all, innit...)

so, happy holiday from ovah heah and fuck you you fucking fucks.

ps. even their fucking squirrels are fat. WTF???

i just spent a week in williamsberg, brooklyn and chelsea:manhatten as well

i went to canal street to buy fake louis vuitton and i thought i was a refugee running for the last helicopter to safety, it was fucked.

i saw boy george dancing to missy elliott at the park.

s.etSETSetst.

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
I love going to rock center at xmas, it's one of my favourite things to do (the ice rink, the insane crowds, a drink at the Plaza, etc), and seeing the tree lit (the largest tree in ny state!) at the beginning of the season is really cool.

yes it is crowded (what do you expect?), and yes there are tourists (everyone is a tourist in midtown unless you work in the area because nobody lives there!), and yes it can be annoying, but that's part of the charm and the bustle of the city at this time of year.

and Manhattan will always be the greatest borough...go out exploring if you are tired of the trendy areas (Jackson Heights, Inwood, Battery Park City, Clinton)

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
oopsie, when I say Jackson Heights, I mean Washington Heights...Jackson Heights is also a nice hood, but it's in Queens :)

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Williamsburg = hipster spawning ground

There are too many places to get drunk in NYC.
I couldn't survive more than a week there, but damn is it ever fun trying.

-jM
A&D

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

voytek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Tonedeff

and Manhattan will always be the greatest borough...go out exploring if you are tired of the trendy areas (Jackson Heights, Inwood, Battery Park City, Clinton)

will do. insider info is what i missed this time around.

checked out williamsburg, still forming my opinion on that one...

as for the tree centre - i guess i hated to be a fucking tourist the most, and christian/x-mas crowds scare me, hehe... i really didn't expect for it to be so packed late at night - millions of strollers and camcorders and all... i'll try to think positive next time.

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeffsus
Williamsburg = hipster spawning ground

There are too many places to get drunk in NYC.
I couldn't survive more than a week there, but damn is it ever fun trying.

-jM
A&D
did you drunken at any of the places I recommended?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by voytek

as for the tree centre - i guess i hated to be a fucking tourist the most, and christian/x-mas crowds scare me, hehe... i really didn't expect for it to be so packed late at night - millions of strollers and camcorders and all... i'll try to think positive next time.
I can completely see your point about the tourist thing and agree with you about rock center and midtown in general being a very dull, soulless hood, but you shouldn't feel conspicuous about being a tourist there because everyone around you is also a tourist. Even when I lived twenty blocks from there I considered myself a tourist in midtown because I so rarely went and it is so clearly designed to intimidate and alienate pedestrians. Xmas is the one season that brings a little humanity and feel into the area, so a couple of hours battling crowds and tourists seems like a small price to pay.

if you are looking for more "authentic" Manhattan neighborhoods that have yet to be completely gentrified, I strongly suggest a walk through the Lower East Side or a day spent in Washington Heights and Inwood Park (the northernmost tip of Manhattan).

Also, not to pick on you or anything, but I *do* find it kind of strange when people go to a huge tourist destination then complain that it was too crowded and touristy...what's the big deal? is being a "tourist" such a shameful and uncool thing? and if you don't like crowds, vacation in the Dakatos! :)

OMG I WENT TO TIMES SQUARE ON NEW YEARS EVE AND IT WAS CROWDEd!!!! CAN YOU BELIEF THAT SHIT WTF BUSH IS A MORON

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Tonedeff
did you drunken at any of the places I recommended?
Probably, though I would have a terribly hard time remembering the names of any of them.

My favourite, strangely, ended up being the Blarney Cove on 14th.

Nice and boozy that bar was.

-jM
A&D