• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Just funkin around

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
So whats goin down? This room seems to have died off again. Figured maybe we could get the ball rollin.

Been talking about the state of breaks lately and it seems that everyone is going either really funky or really electrohouse. I never really dug the tweaker tearout breaks so I wont get into that. I love the fact that the music coming now has soul, but I think there needs to be a connection again with the audience. So much amazing production out there but its talent is wasted just being pushed on people without experience. How can we connect again as a community? How can we all come together to do something bigger, push the boundries and get the ball rolling? This music is accessable to a wider audience it just needs exposure. That exposure starts with all the lurkers who know they love it but dont do anything about it! We need your involvement to grow this scene to its full potential. More and more everyday I hear from people across the world (really) saying they have heard about what MIF has done in Toronto and that they wish they had something like it at home. How do we expose this music is the essential question. Much music is hurting for content and isnt connecting with its audience and after years of britney spears and nsync spinoffs they are wondering why they have lost thier edge. I remember growing up as far back watching much music and my favorite programs were always Wedge, power hour, new music(the george days thought the new girl is pretty good too) point is these are shows with edge that push the boundries. For fuck sakes CFNY is still playing 1992's greatest hits! How do we reach the mainstream media and let them know that we are here and here to stay? We want good music. The media cry about not enough quality Canadian content yet I can think of several independant bands and producers who get 0 exposure year after year while making some of the best music out there. Stuff that reaches and connects with its audience, music that means something not the stuff that encourages you to buy more hair gel.

We are living in a time of action, a time of war, a time of denial of civil liberties, yet people arent connecting to bring out thier emotions to stand for what they believe in, to organize, to make a stand, to push boundries. Music pushes boundries and has throughout time. Where did we forget that? Where did the spirit of unity go? How can we recapture it? How can we push the music further?

anybody.......?

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
hrmmmm mainstream media = profit... profit = sell to lowest common denominator ie. the blind majority. Kinda seems futile in my eyes. I think peeps who know whats up just need to keep doing what they are doing and others around them will pick it up and it will grow... slowly but surely...

Backbreakers

TRIBE Promoter
Hipsterave said:
So whats goin down? This room seems to have died off again. Figured maybe we could get the ball rollin.

Been talking about the state of breaks lately and it seems that everyone is going either really funky or really electrohouse. I never really dug the tweaker tearout breaks so I wont get into that. I love the fact that the music coming now has soul, but I think there needs to be a connection again with the audience. So much amazing production out there but its talent is wasted just being pushed on people without experience. How can we connect again as a community? How can we all come together to do something bigger, push the boundries and get the ball rolling? This music is accessable to a wider audience it just needs exposure. That exposure starts with all the lurkers who know they love it but dont do anything about it! We need your involvement to grow this scene to its full potential. More and more everyday I hear from people across the world (really) saying they have heard about what MIF has done in Toronto and that they wish they had something like it at home. How do we expose this music is the essential question. Much music is hurting for content and isnt connecting with its audience and after years of britney spears and nsync spinoffs they are wondering why they have lost thier edge. I remember growing up as far back watching much music and my favorite programs were always Wedge, power hour, new music(the george days thought the new girl is pretty good too) point is these are shows with edge that push the boundries. For fuck sakes CFNY is still playing 1992's greatest hits! How do we reach the mainstream media and let them know that we are here and here to stay? We want good music. The media cry about not enough quality Canadian content yet I can think of several independant bands and producers who get 0 exposure year after year while making some of the best music out there. Stuff that reaches and connects with its audience, music that means something not the stuff that encourages you to buy more hair gel.

We are living in a time of action, a time of war, a time of denial of civil liberties, yet people arent connecting to bring out thier emotions to stand for what they believe in, to organize, to make a stand, to push boundries. Music pushes boundries and has throughout time. Where did we forget that? Where did the spirit of unity go? How can we recapture it? How can we push the music further?

anybody.......?
Cable 14
Much Music VJ Farbsie
Make it Funky Podcast
CFNY DJ Farbsie
Mayor Farbsie.

:)

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Hipsterave said:
weren't we discussing dance music?

;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
docta seuss said:
weren't we discussing dance music?

;)
I was trying to get a discussion going as to how to connect the music with its audience. I have travelled with many different music communities over the years and had many varied experiences that have left me with a somewhat unique perspective as to the capabilities of what a music community can consist of. What it all comes down to is the willingness of the communities participants to participate. For the artists to offer thier skills, the writers to write about the events, the lurkers to come out of thier shells,the dancers to go all out, the bands to dedicate and focus, the djs to be open to something different, the vendors to appreciate the people that support them, the clubs to recognize that communities formed can have longlasting positive consequences and contribution and for people to take a stand and get involved. All it takes is the ambition to say I want to help, the willingness to tell a friend about an event you love that continues to go on in the city, word of mouth is our best asset to grow this scene. It all begins with one person telling another about the great scene we have and they tell another and another and so on....

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
personally, breaks has lost a lot of ground for me in the last year or so. I've never been a huge fan of the funky stuff. Personally, I like my most of my music (be it breaks, techno, whatever) to grab me by the collar and rough me up a bit. The funky stuff just doesn't give me that same sort of vibe. While I can totally see how people get into it, it just doesn't grab me in that way. The "tweaker tearout" breaks is a little closer to what I'm into, and I admit there's a bit of that stuff that I really like, but it wears really thin really quickly. I also really DON'T like the electro "brouse" that people have been slipping into the breaks scene. I like my breaks hard, around 132bpm, and with a dark, asshammering bassline. I really haven't seen anything like that in a while, and to be honest I have started to get discouraged and have stopped digging through the breaks bins. The last track that really got me going was Soul of Man - The Drum (groove diggerz rmx), and that was after some SERIOUS digging through alot of flutey brass band funk, which is simply not my thing.

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
Hipsterave said:
I was trying to get a discussion going as to how to connect the music with its audience. I have travelled with many different music communities over the years and had many varied experiences that have left me with a somewhat unique perspective as to the capabilities of what a music community can consist of. What it all comes down to is the willingness of the communities participants to participate. For the artists to offer thier skills, the writers to write about the events, the lurkers to come out of thier shells,the dancers to go all out, the bands to dedicate and focus, the djs to be open to something different, the vendors to appreciate the people that support them, the clubs to recognize that communities formed can have longlasting positive consequences and contribution and for people to take a stand and get involved. All it takes is the ambition to say I want to help, the willingness to tell a friend about an event you love that continues to go on in the city, word of mouth is our best asset to grow this scene. It all begins with one person telling another about the great scene we have and they tell another and another and so on....
this whole thread was a wicked post bryan.

Party people need to stop just being spectaters and "be" the event. if it's dancing your heart out, being up front and centre screaming, wearing funky clothes , making funnny facial expression, playing fresh music, contributing art. I love seeing live art exhibitions at events. high fives, wutever. You enthusiasem WILL rub off.

Promoters can only do so much to make it a wicked party, the rest is up to us.

I've always told peeps about wicked parties, but after a while it gets a little frustrating, When people get sick of the crap music that is pushed on them by the huge companies, then they'll come searching for the good stuff. But until then theres nothing that can be said to convince the sheeple otherwise.

being from outside of toronto, I notice that alot (not all) torontonians are just so used to always having quality nights of music given to them, that they don't really go all out anymore. Meh i dunno. I always get pretty crazy on the dancefloor. And the crazy ones rub off on others. so we need more crazies to keep the vibe pumpin yo. get loose.

I'm glad tear out breaks are going bye bye, IMO it all seriouslt\y lacks any kind of soul or substance. Mind you I'll still rock out too it, cuz some breaks are better then no breaks. Although I'm likeing house more and more.

a few years ago if someone asked me what kind of music I was into I would say breaks. They would automatically assume the ravey tear out shit, and that i did drugs. Now I just say funk. cuz really It doesn't matter too me if it's broken or not as long as it has soul. slow or fast. funky dNb funky house, funky breaks funky hip hop. To me the word funk is a soul Vibratin that comes in many many forms.

On a completely unrelated note I'm buying a FREAKING handheld laser, and fully intend to bring out to the MIF jams. It may be a small contribution but a contribution none the less.

stoked for Krafty Kuts and Killa Kella, Ya'll don't realize just how good we got it.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Im pretty sure streetdreams is a troll. He seems to follow all my posts and make unrelated or negative comments toward me. Perhaps I did something to him in a former life.

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
ha

relax about the scapling, it was 1 justice ticket that I had. After seeing the rediculous prices people were trying to sell them for I thought i'd give it a go.

and besides I dont really give a piss about Justice, and the trendy hipster douchebags that insist on Not dancing to d.a.n.c.e. music.

ezy man.

StreetDreams

TRIBE Member
Yeah sure...excuses.
Keep the scene alive by charging $70 for some kid to go see their favourite djs...wether you like the music or not is irrelevant.

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
he's calling me out based on my previous post.

He saw that I posted a thread in the buy/sell room trying to get rid of a justice ticket.

and that me trying to get rid of a ticket to a sold out techno party at Circa, is not supporting the "scene" (dam i hate using that word)

clear as mud?

Last edited:

Taro

TRIBE Member
yeah - I meant it both rhetorically, and literally -

literally because, I don't have the full background or context -

rhetorically becaues I don't need it - it's obviously that there is something that he's commenting on with regard to whatever your previous actions may have been.

I think the point I was trying to make though, is that it should really be dealt in through a pm, or a different thread. it's not really necessary, productive etc... to come into a thread started by someone else, to talk to (about) one of the participants in a generally dismissive way - altering the discussion etc.. to a make a point completely unrelated to the initial topic..

FrItZ~tHe~KaT

TRIBE Member
word.

so back on topic.....

The craziest party that i've been to that seems to touch on every single detail no matter how minor is Shambhala.

That whole party is just giant connection of peoples energy to make something greater.

It's probably a little more difficult to achieve that level of connection in club land.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders