1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Just Cause 2

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Eclectic, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Ok, so this game is MASSIVE.

So I thought I'd start a thread to discuss the secret stuff and cool things.

PS3 users can upload videos directly to Youtube, so put up your videos.

I'll put up videos of the following when I get home:

Beached Whale
    Hot Air Balloon
    "Lost" Island
    G9 Stealth Plane

2. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Just got my copy today from Walmart!!!

3. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Yup, they're still selling it for $39.93. Insane deal on a super wikkid game!

Go to EB and say you never got your pre-order code.

The Monster Truck is worth it while the signature gun is a waste once you upgrade your favorite 2 hander.

4. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Yeah I couldn't pass up a deal like that... you rarely see video games at that price.

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

fuck Imma goin to WM this afternoon!

6. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Reading the back of the package and there is 400sq miles to play around in this game!!!

7. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Shit yeah...I'm 18 hours in and I've only DISCOVERED 105/368 locations.

8. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

This is what I plan to play after Metro 2033, which is also a pretty good game. I spent like 4 hours last night going through the Moscow Metro tunnels only to read about a major terrorist attack in those very tunnels this morning... creepy

9. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Yeah the scope of the game world is so far beyond anything I've ever seen. GTA IV's world probably takes up max 5% of this world. But there's huge vertical scale too with snow capped mountains down to beaches. Add to that the render distance of miles and it's pretty amazing.

It feels likes an open sandbox version of Uncharted but with a little less in the graphical detail department.

The sense of scale is epic. One minute you're in a tight running gun battle from building to building. The next minute you're sitting in a helicopter gunship while you strafe an entire base from miles away watching as explosion after explosion rips into the sky. Imagine GTA III San Andreas blown up to a realistic scale. Not just one little section of forest, and one mountain. But 400 realistic square miles of every terrain possible.

I've had some pretty cool moments so far. I managed to grapple together two jeeps chasing me that decided to pass on either side of a bridge column. Hilarity ensued as they both smashed into each other like the classic two people handcuffed gag. I also managed to attach a propane tank to a passing motorcyclist who was launched into space with a single bullet to the tank.

10. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

The best when being chased in a vehicle for me is stunt jumping to the roof and attaching motorbike riders to the ground.

:D

11. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Whale!

Hot Air Balloon

"Lost" Island

G9 Stealth Plane

12. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

There's a little learning curve with the controls in this game. Is there a way to throw some punches or kicks, or if you're out of ammo the only other option is to use your grappling hooks?

13. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

lovin' it so far (thank you WM for the nice price!)

Yeah well I'm ok with punching people out with the 'hook. This game is mad fun!

14. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Yeah the game is great fun and I know once I get the controls down the game will open up even more. I only played a good 2 hours yesterday, but most of that was just learning the controls. I like hooking two people and bashing them together. I still haven't had a moment where I can hook someone to a plain or car.

15. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Yeah, no punch/kicks....only melee is with the grappling hook.

You run out of ammo? What guns are you using?

I use the Pistol/SMG/Assault Rifle and get a ton of ammo from the enemies on the ground.

To try and save your ammo, go for headshots.

16. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Yeah I just need to get use to the game the wife came home and wanted to watch TV, so I didn't get the quality time I need to get use to the controls. When you run over ammo does it pick it up automatically?

17. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I had lots of ammo in the first few missions but it dries up fast. I often find myself with nothing left but my grappling hook, a few grenades and an enemy attack helicopter on my ass mowing me down with its chain gun. Ammo becomes very scarce as the game progresses.

The HUGELY frustrating element in this game (that the reviewers did warn about) is how you respawn after you die. Unless you are in a mission you respawn all the way back at the first stronghold you secured. So if you're trying to clear out a random village or an army base and you die you have to make your way back using the black market helicopter to transport you there. When you arrive all the enemies have respawned, however, at least the damage you've done remains. This stupid respawn issue causes so much time to be wasted in the game.

18. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Yes, if you walk over ammo for a weapon you have, you'll pick it up. If it's a new gun, it'll allow you to swap if you want.

Upgrade your weapons people! I've got my 3 guns at 4 stars each and I have close to 200 rounds in each one.

Plus the respawn "issue" isn't really one if you do the strongholds. It ports you back to the closest friendly stronghold when you die.

Extraction is free though, so what's the problem?

19. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

The fact that I have to waste time getting myself back to where I was. It should give you the option to either respawn at the closest stronghold or to respawn overhead dropping in from the helicopter.

If you die outside of a specific location, just at a random point on the map then you have no way of returning to that point without hoofing it by vehicle.

Reviewers have complained that you can't use the helicopter extraction to go to any point on the island at any time. In theory it would make sense that you should be able to. It's a helicopter. I want to go to these coordinates and drop me from the sky at this point. Makes sense. But for the purpose of feeling accomplishment in the game I do agree with the decision that you have to have discovered an area before you can extract to it.

20. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I guess I don't have an issue with it.

I find a lot of locations just by driving/flying around so I can pretty much get to any point on the island or "nearby" with the Extraction.

I can see how it's frustrating when you're just starting out...but I was also running out of ammo at the beginning.

21. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Fyi most strongholds seem to have 1-2 helicopters you can take in order to get back to your objective...

22. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

LOL pure noob JC2 stuff here.

23. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

those are set to private?

24. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

25. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Tried capping a couple things last night but I never seem to be able to do it while I'm recording.

Crashed a Hercules like plane into a couple fuel depots (which was fun).

Got the Parachute Climber/Base Jumper/Invincible Warrior trophies last night.

Came across some collectable items sitting in the middle of nowhere though...so I'm wondering how hard it'll be to 100% this game.