• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Just a Bass Drum

Rhythm Logic

TRIBE Member
Jomox gives us another kick in the ass with some new analog gear. It's a box...and all it does is analog bass drums :D

Weeeeeeeeeeee!

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
They've apparently not heard of a computer, editing software and Stomp.

I don't get why people would buy something like this. That's about as anal rententive as it comes.

What's the list price on this thing?

Cheers,
JK

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Well this machine has a few things going for it

People obsess endlessly over kicks.

People obsess endlessly over analog gear.

Not everyone (even in this age) is computer (digital audio) savvy.

Put those three things together and you have this machine.
I'd still love to hear some generated samples from it tho.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
Dude, this thing probabl kicks ass, but is a total waste of money.

Solution: rent it and sample the fuck out of it for a weekend, then return it.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by DaPhatConductor
Dude, this thing probabl kicks ass, but is a total waste of money.

Solution: rent it and sample the fuck out of it for a weekend, then return it.
...Or don't even bother and use Stomp for free. :)

Cheers,
JK

why not

TRIBE Member
there are two reasons why someone would want this -

1. it's analogue. i know computers can fake analogue, but there is a difference.

2. real time control. not important for everyone, but some people would like to make their kick slowly and smoothly evolve. yes you can fake this with a computer, but i find i can hear the stepping between values with any virtual analogue gear or programs.

bonus reason -

the full jomox drum machine is pretty expensive, especially considering that most people only care about the kick. there's also a lot of new modular analogue gear out there these days, which for live performance is a lot of fun. i like having a bunch of little boxes with knobs that i can patch together in different ways - yes, you can do that with a lot of programs as well, but i'd prefer a physical interface, and gear that isn't pretending to be something it's not.

disclaimer - i like using computers to make music, but i tend to use them to do very digital things, rather than fake an analogue kick or synth. the right tool for the right job.

why not

TRIBE Member
just to add to the whole gear vs. software debate -

everybody has their own ways of working, what seems stupid and a waste of money to some works very well for others.

i know a lot of producers that started out on computers, and gradually moved into the gear world, either for performing live, or because they found they could make what they wanted to faster.

some of these guys are now going back to computers, because the software has improved so much in the past few years.

myself, i'm on both sides of the arguement. i like both, for different reasons.