• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Junior Boys + Andrew Duke; Reflections; Friday March 4

Andrew Duke

TRIBE Member
I've got the pleasure of opening up for Junior Boys
(http://juniorboys.net) this coming Friday March 4
@ Reflections. I'm on at 10pm, they're on 11pm.
Early start times because we have to be done by
12:15am because DJs go on afterwards to finish
the night starting at 12:30am. If anyone wants to
check out recorded live PAs from me, tons of 'em
here: http://andrew-duke.com/listen.html Hope
to see all ya'll out Friday night. If you do, please
say hello.
Andrew Duke upcoming live performances:
March 4 @ Reflections (Halifax NS) with Junior Boys
March 7 @ The Khyber (Halifax NS) for Audio Deviance
March 8 @ Sackville High (Sackville NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
March 17 @ Cafe Dekcuf (Ottawa ON) for Spins & Needles with Jason Pelletier, Zattar, Ruby Jane
March 18 @ Labyrinth Lounge (Toronto ON) for We Don't Suck with Greg Gow, Arthur Oskan, Trevor Wilkes
March 19 @ Modern Fuel Gallery (Kingston ON) for performance and music software workshop
March 20 @ l'Hémisphère Gauche (Montreal QC)
March 21 @ venue tba (Quebec City QC)
April 14th @ Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (Halifax NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
April 18th @ QEH (Halifax NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
April 19th @ Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (Halifax NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
May 6th @ Mount St. Vincent's (Halifax NS) for Atlantic Band Festival with Desert Island Orchestra
May 7th @ Mount St. Vincent's (Halifax NS) for Atlantic Band Festival with Desert Island Orchestra
May 15th @ North Street Church (Halifax NS) for Spring Fever Festival with Desert Island Orchestra
Thanks.
Take care.
Andrew

Andrew Duke

TRIBE Member
Junior Boys show

It was an awesome show. For those who wanted to be there, but weren't, here's a quick recap: They only did 8 songs in an hour, but they were perfectly paced, not too long, not too short. They had said in interviews that they would be doing about 50/50 old and new, but I think there were only a couple of new songs in there. I'm pretty sure they started with a new song and about mid-set they did a new song that might be called "Goodbye" or "Say Goodbye" or "So This Is Goodbye" (that seemed to be the chorus) which was probably the longest song of the night and was pretty much split into two halves: first half with no beats at all and the second half sounding almost like a different song 'cept for having the same chorus as the first song. Teach Me How To Fight was the second song they played. Under The Sun, Bellona, and High Come Down (beats reminiscent of Everything But The Girl's Walking Wounded album on this one; ditto for Birthday and the other jittery ones; not sure where reviewers get the Timbaland reference). They might have played More Than Real (I've got a shit memory, which makes it funny that I remembered that they did 8 songs) and they ended with Birthday. Jeremy sang and played mostly guitar with a bit of bass (played a brief bit of keys on one song, perhaps for fun) and Matt played two keyboards (a juicy Nord Lead on the top of the rack; damn that thing sounds great) and a bit of bass and the beats were coming off laptop. They also had another running running videos, perhaps not for all songs though (I didn't have a great sight line). Bits reminded me of New Order (definitely a good thing), but thankfully Jeremy's lyrics are not obtuse like Bernard Sumner's. Have been up all night with a bad toothache, time to try to get some sleep (for the nth time). Andrew

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
the Timbaland reference is from Tim's early 90s work.

Also, straight from the horse's mouth - the Junior Boys are influenced by Dem2 who were, in turn, influenced by the likes of Kelly G and Timbaland. If you listen to the syncopated steppy rhythm on a song like High Come Down, it's easier to draw the comparison between the hip hop, 2 step world than Walking Wounded - but again, I may need to listen to EBTG again haha. Also, if you're only hearing the Junior Boys live, it *may* be a bit different that the recorded material.

Glad they're in the studio making new material! And really happy to hear that they're spreading the music more.

Andrew Duke

TRIBE Member
Andrew Duke live @ Reflections mp3

the live set i did friday night opening for junior boys @ reflections is now online here:
http://andrew-duke.com/AndrewDukelive@ReflectionsHalifax4Mar05.mp3
comments welcome (lots of other live sets from me in a variety of styles available on http://andrew-duke.com/listen.html) the live @ reflections peformance is a mix of electro and idm with a coupla speed garagey things and some tech house (i hate labelling music, especially the music i do, but people ask for some hints on account of my doing so many different styles and there being so many live sets from me out there, so i gotta do it); first two tracks use some samples from my friend emisor from buenos aires (through the mighty power of the internet we're collaborating on an album and have collabo tracks forthcoming on montreal's hushush and marseille's bip-hop); the last track in my live pa is a live mashup of kraftwerk's numbers with ciara's 1, 2 step (thanks again to vanessa for the ciara remix idea). as soon as i dropped the first kraftwerk hints in, a guy came running up to the stage with a big grin on his fan, yelled "hey, man, kraftwerk!", made all the more surreal by the fact that he was wearing a kraftwerk tshirt at the time. speaking of which, kraftwerk have got a live release coming out soon (called minimum-maximum; will be out on dvd, cd, and vinyl, too); details here: http://kraftwerk.com (click on the main page, then on info, then on minimum-maximum).
take care.
andrew

Andrew Duke upcoming live performances/workshops:
March 7 @ The Khyber (Halifax NS) for Audio Deviance
March 8 @ Sackville High (Sackville NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
March 17 @ Cafe Dekcuf (Ottawa ON) for Spins & Needles with Jason Pelletier, Zattar, Ruby Jane
March 18 @ Labyrinth Lounge (Toronto ON) for We Don't Suck with Greg Gow, Arthur Oskan, Trevor Wilkes
March 19 @ Modern Fuel Gallery (Kingston ON) for performance and music software workshop
March 20 @ l'Hémisphère Gauche (Montreal QC)
March 21 @ venue tba (Quebec City QC)
April 14th @ Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (Halifax NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
April 18th @ QEH (Halifax NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
April 19th @ Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (Halifax NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
May 5th @ NSCAD (Halifax NS) with Desert Island Orchestra
May 6th @ Mount St. Vincent's (Halifax NS) for Atlantic Band Festival with Desert Island Orchestra
May 7th @ Mount St. Vincent's (Halifax NS) for Atlantic Band Festival with Desert Island Orchestra
May 15th @ North Street Church (Halifax NS) for Spring Fever Festival with Desert Island Orchestra

Andrew Duke

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DeepSix
the Timbaland reference is from Tim's early 90s work.

Also, straight from the horse's mouth - the Junior Boys are influenced by Dem2 who were, in turn, influenced by the likes of Kelly G and Timbaland. If you listen to the syncopated steppy rhythm on a song like High Come Down, it's easier to draw the comparison between the hip hop, 2 step world than Walking Wounded - but again, I may need to listen to EBTG again haha. Also, if you're only hearing the Junior Boys live, it *may* be a bit different that the recorded material.

Glad they're in the studio making new material! And really happy to hear that they're spreading the music more.
i definitely see what you mean, but when i think of 2step, i think of the beats and the bass, and they (junioer boys) don't have the 2step style bass, (neither does ebtg), thus the walking wounded reference. they definitely bring it all together in a unique way. wish they had had a longer set time to do more new material. andrew

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
I got to hear some new material today before the boys leave for Scandinavia.

Big big things in the future.

dtox

TRIBE Member
what are you like a SELFPROMOTION/ bloger/document ones self, machine??? On a something other than that message board?

D to ME Me ME Me t.

Andrew Duke

TRIBE Member
Junior Boys remix Billie Holiday?

Originally posted by DeepSix
I got to hear some new material today before the boys leave for Scandinavia.

Big big things in the future.
I heard that Junior Boys have remixed Billie Holiday for a Verve compilation. That's excellent. I'm a huge fan of all three. PS I just clued in that you played at Labyrinth Lounge the night I was there. As Homer would say about my memory: "doh!" Looking forward to the new Junior Boys material. I liked what they played new-wise when they were here. Take care. Andrew